[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it that Poland didn't get affected?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: BubonicPlague.gif (228 KB, 1600x1090) Image search: [Google]
BubonicPlague.gif
228 KB, 1600x1090
And also is it possible that Poles genetically don't have a resistance toward it? Because if I were to inject such a disease in your common Western European citizen and a Pole today, would they both hold out or would the Pole instantly die?

Very interested. Please comment.
>>
They closed their borders.
>>
They didn't have retarded medieval europe hygiene standards?
>>
>>305839
Plagues tend to spread even if you had good hygene. My best guess is people just didnt go there as much or not many big cities back then.
>>
>>305825
>Wanting to touch poland
>>
>>305826
/thread
>>
>>305825
>if I were to inject such a disease in your common Western European citizen and a Pole today, would they both hold out or would the Pole instantly die?
>Very interested
Mengele please leave the poor bastards alone
>>
>>305825
Map is incomplete, places like Milan, Foix and Antwerp were not affected aswell
>>
>>305825

- Slavic traditions of hygene (steam baths etc).
- The climate was optimal for Poland meaning harvests were excellent at the time, which made the well-fed population more resistant,
- Poland was ruled by Casimir III the Great who was head and shoulders above your average monarch. Foreign merchants were quarantined at the royal decree.
>>
>>305861
>not many big cities back then.

Golden age of Krakow was just beginning, just like the urbanization of Little Poland.
>>
>>306064
>>306545
Top fucking kek.
>>
File: AD 1478 - Trade Routes.jpg (170 KB, 1750x1242) Image search: [Google]
AD 1478 - Trade Routes.jpg
170 KB, 1750x1242
>>305825

Too far off the popular trade routes.
>>
>>305825

Poland had a shitton of Jews. They weren't going to poison their own wells.
>>
>>310150
This
First thing that came to my mind when I saw that map
>>
Remember that the plague was simply a reckoning from God. This shows you where Poland stood in the eyes of the Lord.

>>310152
Kek
>>
>>305825
They used up all their karma in the middle ages, which explains their fate later
>>
>>305825
No, the small percentage of people who were immune to this had that latent immunity before they needed it. You could make an argument that the Poles probably have it in a lower proportion of their population since their populations weren't selected against those without it, but it's probably there to some degree.
>>
>>305825
>And also is it possible that Poles genetically don't have a resistance toward it? Because if I were to inject such a disease in your common Western European citizen and a Pole today, would they both hold out or would the Pole instantly die?

I doubt it. Poles aren't an isolated population like Native Americans were. there's been plenty of mixing with other Europeans, especially Germans and Russians.
>>
>>310150
>>310880
But the plague still hit areas like Romania and Hungary, which are just as isolated according to that map.
>>
>From Italy, the disease spread northwest across Europe, striking France, Spain, Portugal and England by June 1348, then turned and spread east through Germany and Scandinavia from 1348 to 1350. It was introduced in Norway in 1349 when a ship landed at Askoy, then spread to Bjorgvin (modern Bergen) and Iceland.[20] Finally it spread to northwestern Russia in 1351. The plague was somewhat less common in parts of Europe that had smaller trade relations with their neighbours, including the Kingdom of Poland, the majority of the Basque Country, isolated parts of Belgium and the Netherlands, and isolated alpine villages throughout the continent.[21][22]
>>
Maybe Poland loves cats?
>>
>>305825
Thats polands special power
Through all the invasions, wars, empires and disease
Its still called poland
>>
Most of Hungary was unaffected too owing to small urban centers, but somehow all maps colour us entirely in.
>>
Jewish population in Cracow taught the tradition of washing yourself more than once a month. This idea spread throughout poland.
>>
This is an interesting thread. I would assume lowered trade in its region had an effect, but it has to be more than that.
>>
>>312672
Muslims wash 5 times a day, and they still go plagued.
>>
>>312418
>there's been plenty of mixing with other Europeans, especially Germans and Russians.
Not at all.
>>312672
This is bullshit. We had hygiene long before Jews even were invited here.
>>312733
>lowered trade
GdaƄsk was a main trading city of Poland. Poland was rich as fuck in medieval times.
>>
>>312672
And washing your hands before you eat
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.