[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Art History General: Northern Renaissance Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 13
File: ghentaltarpiece.gif (318 KB, 740x550) Image search: [Google]
ghentaltarpiece.gif
318 KB, 740x550
Hello /his/. Let's talk art history.

Today's subject is the Northern Renaissance.

Who is your favourite Northern Renaissance artist and why?

Which subject matter do you find intriguing in Northern Renaissance art?

What parallels or differences can you make comparing the Northern Renaissance to the Italian Renaissance?

Have you read any fascinating literature regarding artists from north of the Alps from the early 15th to late 16th century?

Of course, it is appropriate to discuss art history beyond the thread's theme.

The image is the Ghent Altarpiece painted by Jan van Eyck in 1432. The medium is oil on wood. It is a massive polyptych that was initially commissioned to be painted by the workshop of Jan van Eyck's mysterious brother, Hubert. by Jodocus Vjid and his wife, Isabella Borluut (who can be seen praying to two grisaille sculptures of St. John the Baptist and St. John the Evangelist on the exterior wings). However, when Hubert died in 1426, Jan took up the task of painting the remainder of the altarpiece. The central theme of the altarpiece is Christ as the Agnus Dei, a fitting subject considering the polyptych's liturgical function.

The altarpiece is considered a one-off masterpiece in the history of early Netherlandish painting, and is often compared to Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel ceiling in scope and stylistic virtuosity. It is one of the most frequently stolen works of art in the world. It was nearly burnt by Calvinists during the iconoclast controversies. Throughout World War II, the altarpiece was hidden in a salt mine to preserve it from destruction by the Nazis. Despite all that it's been through, the work has been restored beautifully and remains in-situ in Saint Bavo Cathedral in Ghent.
>>
Here comes the big dawg.
>>
Beautiful ayy lmaos.
>>
>>303864
I love the little St. Margaret topping the bedpost, and the oranges scattered across the windowsill and table. This painting is absolutely packed with details despite how small it is. The texture of the ermine robe and each individual hair on the dog always astound me. Jan van Eyck is probably my favourite painter of all time. It's no wonder he's mistakenly credited with inventing oil paint.

Has anyone read the Panofsky analysis of this painting? It's absolutely insane.
>>
File: vaneyck_rolinmadonna_grt.jpg (156 KB, 816x900) Image search: [Google]
vaneyck_rolinmadonna_grt.jpg
156 KB, 816x900
Here's another classic van Eyck. If you zoom in you can see biblical stories mapped out on the capitals of the pillars behind Rolin.
>dat peacock
>dem robes
>dat crowded bridge in the far background
>>
>>303913
don't forget about the mirror
>>
>>303926
My favourite mirror is the one from the Martin Nieuwenhove devotional diptych by Hans Memling (although it totally ripped off van Eyck in a way).
>>
>>303844
A discussion of Northern Renaissance and No Bosch? You sicken me /hist/
>>
>>304321
Bosch is another personal favourite, and he was more influential than people give him credit. It's disgusting how widely misinterpreted his art is by "connoisseurs" who pin him as a proto-surrealist or something like that.
>>
Cool thread OP, here's a bump.
>>
Polite bump because I like talking about Art History. I'd post Art but all of what I have is 1800's and onwards
>>
i am curious how long would the process to paint something like op pic related take, and would this time change throughout history significantly? or would it consume pretty much the same time (hours and hours of work, i realize that) regardless of whatever advances?
>>
>>303844
Just got this book.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9302885-de-eeuw-van-van-eyck-1430-1530-de-vlaamse-primitieven-en-het-zuiden

It's pretty good, puts it in European context and shows what the rest of the art world thought of it.
>>
File: Jan_van_Eyck_074.jpg (212 KB, 2048x1201) Image search: [Google]
Jan_van_Eyck_074.jpg
212 KB, 2048x1201
>>303924
Here have a detail!
>>
>>
File: blue hat.png (2 MB, 1206x922) Image search: [Google]
blue hat.png
2 MB, 1206x922
>>
File: detail van eyck.png (2 MB, 1307x913) Image search: [Google]
detail van eyck.png
2 MB, 1307x913
>>303849
Here is a detail of the tiles of the second pane from the upper left.
>>
File: more memling.png (1 MB, 545x951) Image search: [Google]
more memling.png
1 MB, 545x951
Our dear friend meme-ling.
>>
File: 43243524324.png (1 MB, 739x952) Image search: [Google]
43243524324.png
1 MB, 739x952
>>306359
>>
File: old and sick of your shit.png (4 MB, 1892x951) Image search: [Google]
old and sick of your shit.png
4 MB, 1892x951
>>
File: Melencolia_I_(Durero).jpg (2 MB, 1152x1455) Image search: [Google]
Melencolia_I_(Durero).jpg
2 MB, 1152x1455
What does everyone think of Albrecht Durer? I personally consider him the greatest artist of the Renaissance, even surpassing da Vinci in technical prowess and attention to detail. He was also one of the first few artists to capitalize on the rise of the printing press.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.