[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
if you have zero experience with an actual foreign language
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7
File: 1448478657874.jpg (12 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
1448478657874.jpg
12 KB, 420x420
if you have zero experience with an actual foreign language you are completely retarded to think you can actually contribute to /his/ and you should gtfo.

>inb4 but i took a semester in spanish
spanish, french, german, etc are just english with a slightly different accent and grammar

>actual FOREIGN languages
- russian
- arabic
- chinese (shit-tier, tho)

irregardless of how busy you perceive yourself in your daily life, you should learn a new language at least every couple of years.

if trains your brain more than anything else. most real polyglots are also geniuses in other areas because their brains were subjected to merciless gains with every new language.

oh, did you know that russian.rt.com shows a completely different world than the english rt?
same for aljazeera

>inb4 google translate
what is video?
what are speeches by politicians?
what are non-translatable expressions?
what is reading between the lines, which gets lots in 95% of the translations?
what is real life with no google translate?

i never understood putin's speeches in the original (like 99% of all of /pol/), all i ever got were translations and press releases. until one day, i decided to learn russian. i deliberately stopped watching any of his public appearances. after a few months, when i felt solid in russian, i played one of his old speeches i once watched but never understood.
oh my
>tfw you will never know the feel of finally understand someone

>tfw you still believe the actual literal words matter, while in reality 90+% is the choice and placement of words in connection with body language

sry if my english sucks but for the past months i've been immersing myself in something you would consider "moonrunes" or some shit
>>
>>302319
Sei still und nerv nicht
>>
>>302319

And you made your shitty thread in English?
Ospa.
>>
>>302319
>spanish, french, german, etc are just english with a slightly different accent and grammar

?و وت میت
>>
>tfw bilingual at 5 years old
>>
What if my native language isn't English, does that count?
>>
Go to bed, Skullface.
>>
>>302319
Pourquoi es-tu si fou?
>>
>>302319
>no mention of the oldest and most patrician language in the world, Basque
Marvelous op, just great
>>
>>302319
>irregardless
Maybe you should try learning English, first.
>>
Tell us more about yourself OP

You look like a fascinating guy tbqh
>>
没有人爱我
>>
>>303425
>oldest in the world
try europe m80
>>
Proud Anglo who can only speak and write in English.
>>
>irregardless

Maybe you should focus on learning your own language first, Mr.Polyglot.
>>
>>303469
我爱你,先辈~
>>
>>303469
>>304636
日本が土地を有します
>>
File: 1376713255395.jpg (42 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
1376713255395.jpg
42 KB, 375x523
>>302319
So, what's Russian for "troll thread" again?
>>
File: 1448199846755.png (46 KB, 853x686) Image search: [Google]
1448199846755.png
46 KB, 853x686
>>302319
>- chinese (shit-tier, tho)

Fuck, I am really triggered by that
>>
>>304698
你他媽的狗逼崽子,信不信老子幹你娘啊喝
>>
Tu eres un imbecil Senor Esquilito-Cara
>>
>Tfw you sort of udnerstand one and can speak two fluently
>TFW they're all germanic anyway so it doesn't matter as much
Anyway, fuck you OP, /his/ is for history, we do not need humanities on this board.
>>
File: Edward_Wadsworth.jpg (163 KB, 499x646) Image search: [Google]
Edward_Wadsworth.jpg
163 KB, 499x646
>>302319
>(like 99% of all of /pol/)
>>
Ayy senpai, español es más diferente de inglés. Decir que español es inglés con un acento es ridículo. Creo que tú nunca aprender una lengua extranjera y sólo eres un troll.
También,
> tu inglés es mal
> estás trayendo a menospreciar las personas que aprender español
>>
>>305051
Aprende a conjugar, por favor. O como decimos en mi lengua nativa: [spoiler]Suck a dick, fag.[/spoiler]
>>
Kankerhomo
>>
>- russian
is just another indo-european dialect group
>>
>>302319
>irregardless

yeah, OP, your mastery of language is enviable.
>>
>>302319
>spanish, french, german, etc are just english with a slightly different accent and grammar
No John you are the retard
>>
>most people on 4chan speak languages from JUST ONE language-family

ayy lmao
>>
>Mother is a native Italian and Spanish speaker
>Never taught me a foreign language while growing up

She said she didn't want to confuse me, but that's bullshit.
>>
>>302319
>irregardless
yeah you sure showed everyone, boss
>>
File: 1357406909635.gif (2 MB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1357406909635.gif
2 MB, 300x300
>responding to obvious bait just to show off your linguistic skills on an anonymous image board
>>
I'm actually considering learning a new language that's a little more based than just Spanish (only other language I'm decent in). Where should I start besides shitty Rosettastone?
>>
>>302319
Fullkomligt tokigt.

Dul a chodladh, buachaill.
>>
Mohango daylo, sprakt ya meka erojna klouvik nae?
>>
>>306274
Most children who grow up in bilingual homes lose the skill to speak the languages that they don't use daily outside the home as they grow older. Your mother would most likely not have done you a service either way unless you had at least one friend who also spoke Spanish and/or Italian.
>>
>>302357
You didn't actually say anything logical in Arabic.
>>
>>302357
You didn't actually say anything logical in Arabic.
>>302357
Tfw only kid all throughout school who knew 3 languages at 6
>>
>>310722
It's "téigh a chodladh"
>>
Well i speak English as a foreign language.
It's something..
>>
>>302319
If you speak English there's literally no point in learning another language unless you want to emigrate to another country or something.

Anything worth reading will be translated for you, anyone worth speaking to will either know English themselves or have an interpreter, etc.
>>
>>302319

Congratulations. You can make an ass of yourself in not one language, but two.
>>
For some reason, I have a really easy time learning how to pronounce and read foreign alphabets but learning how to be proficient enough in another language just seems to be too hard for me. I'm a master at English but extremely poor in Spanish and can read Arabic out loud but not understand what I'm reading.
>>
>>313213
>>312338
OP proven right ITT
unilinguals are literally retarded
>>
>>310941
>>310945
u wot m8?

پښتانان خو تشته؟
>>
>>302319
>irregardless
finish learning one language first
>>
>>313233

That was not the point of OP, though.
>>
Ochin priatna moi ruski druzia, τώρα μάθε ελληνιkά σαν τριτή γλώσσα kαι θα είσαι σε kαλό δρόμο.
>tfw fluent quadrilingual masterrace
>tfw can't be arsed to type in ruski
>>
>>313514
if you "can't be arsed" that means you don't actually know it well enough to write in it.

I am "quadrilingual" too if you count intermediate Japanese and a few years of Spanish that I pretty much all forgot since high school ended.
>>
File: ARIELY DCERA.jpg (27 KB, 500x428) Image search: [Google]
ARIELY DCERA.jpg
27 KB, 500x428
Pojeb si mamu žide
>>
Although this is a troll thread I really do feel that people who only speak a language (especially English since they easily fall into the trap of thinking it's the only relevant language) have close-minded views of world culture and don't appreciate what other language environments have to offer.

A lot of kids who learn English seem to adopt that attitude too. Probably because of the Internet.
>>
אני מדבר עברית, זה טוב ?
>>
>>313997

it's the opposite. the extreme opposite in actual fact. It's impossible to remove tongues from the assholes of the greeks and romans and convince them that the USA represents the pinnacle of culture
>>
File: image.jpg (128 KB, 2190x930) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
128 KB, 2190x930
>>302319
>implying Im here to contribute and not just shitpost
>>
>>314182
Ken tov, kol bseder
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.