[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you hate this guy? He did nothing wrong.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7
File: br4.jpg (106 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
br4.jpg
106 KB, 640x360
Why do you hate this guy? He did nothing wrong.
>>
Who is he?
>>
>>296824
Bertrand Russell, one of the key figures of early analytic philosophy.
>>
>>296756

Because he brought vampires to new york city and bribed the cdc yo
>>
File: 1448059498788.jpg (455 KB, 2559x1609) Image search: [Google]
1448059498788.jpg
455 KB, 2559x1609
Reminder that religion was BTFO by Russel's Teapot, and Betrand Russel in general

> The whole conception of God is a conception derived from the ancient Oriental despotisms. It is a conception quite unworthy of free men. When you hear people in church debasing themselves and saying that they are miserable sinners, and all the rest of it, it seems contemptible and not worthy of self-respecting human beings.

>here are a great many ways in which, at the present moment, the church, by its insistence upon what it chooses to call morality, inflicts upon all sorts of people undeserved and unnecessary suffering. And of course, as we know, it is in its major part an opponent still of progress and improvement in all the ways that diminish suffering in the world, because it has chosen to label as morality a certain narrow set of rules of conduct which have nothing to do with human happiness; and when you say that this or that ought to be done because it would make for human happiness, they think that has nothing to do with the matter at all. "What has human happiness to do with morals? The object of morals is not to make people happy."

>Love as a relation between men and women was ruined by the desire to make sure of the legitimacy of children.

>The psychology of adultery has been falsified by conventional morals, which assume, in monogamous countries, that attraction to one person cannot coexist with a serious affection for another. Everybody knows that this is untrue.

>The desire to understand the world and the desire to reform it are the two great engines of progress without which human society would stand still or retrogress.
>>
Martin-Löf > Brouwer ≫ Russell
>>
This board sucks of Lugwig so it should defo love his own fucking tutor. The guy is a legend
>>
>>297147
*off
>>
His status and his relationship with government makes him remind me of the Atticans.
>>
>>297071
>Humanity was ruined by humans
>>
>>297306
>Atticans

Like as in Athens, or something else?
>>
File: hde pos.png (346 KB, 1829x788) Image search: [Google]
hde pos.png
346 KB, 1829x788
>>
File: 1447984469263.jpg (21 KB, 317x233) Image search: [Google]
1447984469263.jpg
21 KB, 317x233
>>296756
>did nothing wrong
>helped cause WWII
>>
>>296756
Because he committed the serious crime of being right.
>>
>>296756
What? /lit/ loves him last time I checked
>>
>>296756
I hate how much he's still right.
>>
>>297539
The Athenian philosophers, yes.
>>
File: 1439521498842.jpg (38 KB, 500x327) Image search: [Google]
1439521498842.jpg
38 KB, 500x327
>>296756
This guy did nothing wrong 2bh m8
>>
>islander Hume is btfo by based Kant
>every next islander philosopher is butthurt
>muh I can't understand this sheatt, it must be just

pretencious
>adjusts bowtie
>sip tea
>from now on, I will work on real and practical philosophy
>LOGIC
>russel's lifes work gets BTFO by Gödel
>quits logic because of Wittgenstein

The legacy of Anglo "logic" is to be BTFO by German autists
>>
>>300295
Can you give me an example of synthetic a priori knowledge?
>>
>>300387
2+2=4
>>
File: mosley owned.jpg (94 KB, 600x565) Image search: [Google]
mosley owned.jpg
94 KB, 600x565
Because he was really mean to Mosley in this letter
>>
File: DSC02950axx.jpg (70 KB, 710x547) Image search: [Google]
DSC02950axx.jpg
70 KB, 710x547
>>301721
nope
>>
his book on the history of philosophy was incorrect in many ways

>>303917
>math is empirical
no
>>
>>303917
You don't need inductive reasoning to do maths, the Greeks made math deductive.
>>
>>303942
it is and our understanding of it certainly is
>>
>>303952
pwetty sure they never came up with a definition for the naturals
>>
>>300387
Different anon scrolling past on the main board, but I know for a fact that Kant goes into that in depth and gives good explanations if you really want to find out.
>>
>>297071
>1920
>still cannot into is/ought

SHAME
>>
>>303952
The axioms of math come from empiric observations (in abstract form). Deduction from these inductive axioms are only useful if they conform to our reality in some way. Even if you are going to say math is not empiric the person has yet to show it is synthetic a priori knowledge. Deductions only mean that it is analytic. Also 2+2=4 is analytic a priori.
>>
>>303955
can you tell me which empirical observation tells you that the set of all polynomials with coefficients in a field F is always a principle ideal domain?
>>
>>303993
*always forms a principle ideal domain under the typical multiplication and addition operations
>>
>>303997
yes one could iterate over all sets an see that all set form a PID. You have fail to show anything more than how math makes use of abstracted rules, this says nothing more than math is a language game. This language game is only useful to us because it can describe empiric reality.
>>
>>304010
the question isn't about utility of something, it's about the source of something. Any empiricist worth anything will tell you that you can't derive necessity from empirical observation. Do you even read?
>>
>>304019
what do you think are the sources of the axioms of mathematics? Do you even do math philotard?
>>
>>304027
Yes, I do math. I have a math degree. When you say "the" axioms of mathematics, which ones do you mean?
>>
>>304065
no you don't. Euclidean geometry, Zermelo-Fraenkel, Algebra, ect
>>
>>304080
Interesting that you only say Zermelo-Fraenkel. What happened to Choice? Or do you not accept it?
>>
>>304088
axiom of choice is not accepted
>>
>>304098
by who? plenty of mathematicians accept the axiom of choice
>>
>>304104
not by the ones of any worth
>>
Anyway you guys, arithmetic was in use long before any proper definition of the naturals. It's easy to say we have it all formalized now, but that didn't prevent the ancients from doing arithmetics.

>>304108
>this guy
>>
Empiricism is just Rationalism dealing with facts that everyone already accepts as true.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.