[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
who is the best youtube historian and why is it Indy Neidell?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4
File: the great war Indy.jpg (153 KB, 650x400) Image search: [Google]
the great war Indy.jpg
153 KB, 650x400
who is the best youtube historian and why is it Indy Neidell?
>>
Lindybeige's movie reviews are excellent.
>>
Indy is truly based.

>Amazing voice
>Coverage of all fronts
>Very little bias
>>
>>290017
lindybeige is terrible so everything he does is terrible
>>
>>289994
>youtube historian
>best
Shouldn't that be least bad?
>>
>>290286
No, it should be "based".
>>
>>290266
Damn bro, you saw the bait and bit the hook without any hesitation.
>>
>>290266

At what point did he think turning around, looking at a different, poorer quality camera, saying something like "no really, they did" and then turning back and carrying on, would be funny/informative/entertaining/interesting?
>>
>>289994
He's able to make youtube history videos that aren't new age garbage for preteen girls and I actually really like his videos so he gets an A+
>>
I don't claim it to be the best but I enjoy Extra Credit's channel for their history segments.
>>
File: photo.jpg (33 KB, 320x321) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
33 KB, 320x321
>>289994
He's definitely the best. Unlike this ugly biased pile of shit.
>>
>>289994
It's truly quite tragic that people in this day and age think themselves intellectuals for having watched 5-minute videos on YouTube. Go to school.
>>
>>291209
Hahaha, the Kekmaster.
>>
File: crashcourse-mongols.jpg (27 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
crashcourse-mongols.jpg
27 KB, 480x360
>>291209
I know this is a joke and though The Great War is far and away the superior channel, I really enjoyed the Crash Course series World History and American History.
>>
>>290770
well he sure looks like he's having a blast.
>>
>>291156
I can't take someone who believes that we were some kind of geometrical alien race seriously.
>>
>>291794
most people did, 4chan is the contrarians.

The show has its fair share of flaws though.
>>
>>291800

?

I don't follow.
>>
>>290026
this

It's a bit repetitive and they realize it, so Indy started standing up from the chair every now and then. I have no idea how I'd fix it but that was silly.
>>
File: fedora2.jpg (96 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
fedora2.jpg
96 KB, 1920x1080
>>291498
>It's truly quite tragic that people in this day and age think themselves intellectuals for having watched 5-minute videos on YouTube. Go to school.
>>
>>291831
>>291800
I thought the human-race-with-spirit-waves-and-chakra-with-telepathic/empathic-mind-powers-and-all-jews-are-aliens guy was not the extra credit guy, but just used a similar voice morph. And drawing style.
>>
>>289994
>hey guys, let me remind you how modern warfare is awful
>now we are going to talk about all these pacifist writers who show how much WWI was terrible even though they were propagandists who never went to the front
>Ernst Junger? who is that guy? never heard of him

I actually like his videos, but the whole pacifist "I have to remind you not to get too excited the war was awful" shit grows tiring after a while.
>>
>>291209
>>291794

Crash course and The Great War are completely different in their scope and the set of topics they cover, the comparison is apples to oranges.
>>
>>292405
Ironically, watching only youtube history videos is something a fedora would. There's a reason why a youtube video is not enough. Not even a feature length documentary is enough. I've a poem I wish more people would take to heart.

A little learning is a dangerous thing;
drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
and drinking largely sobers us again.
>>
>>291794
You're a faggot
>>291804
>le they're just contrarians xD
We've had several threads about why they're shit
>>
>>292534
nigger
>>
>>292528
I agree.

>>292554
No u.
>>
>>291498
I hate people like you. You hate every form of education because it detracts from the power you think what you know gives you. The only way you can come off not sounding like a complete asshole is by using a "pseudo-intellectual" strawman.

The more educated the general public is the better. The more they discuss what they learn the better. No one has a monopoly on information. If you don't like what is being taught and discussed then use that big head of yours to add value to conversations and the general education of the public.
>>
>>289994

THEY SHOULD HAVE MADE IT LONGER EPISODES MONTHLY

WEEKLY = ALMOST ZERO REPLAYING VALUE
>>
>>292534
Self-education is the first step for some people. Telling someone to not even bother educating themselves if they aren't starting from the standards of a university (school) seems a bit arrogant.
>>
>>291209
LE MONGUL XD
>>
>>291209
Why does /his/ hate him? Only watched one of his videos.
>>
>>293529
You should watch the rest. They are honestly good crash courses into the subject matter.

First, a lot of assholes don't like him because he is doing a "crash course" for laymen instead of authoring a peer reviewed publication of the driest kind imaginable. /his/ has a some elitists like that who hate to remind themselves that there are millions of people in need of education.

Also he is progressive to a fault. If there is any possible way to paint history in a way that downplays eurocentrism and makes women look important and all that jazz then you can be sure that is exactly how he will paint it. You can tell objectively handling a topic no matter what toes he steps on isn't on his mind.
>>
>>293529

Because it's so ridiculously biased. It's basically Tumblr Tells History
>>
>>293678
>They are honestly good crash courses into the subject matter.
>You can tell objectively handling a topic no matter what toes he steps on isn't on his mind.
That literally contradicts itself. The fact that you are forced to be skeptical about literally all of his videos and the potential for them to have left out information means it's failing as a crash course. Crash courses are for important information, not his opinion on what is important. He almost entirely ignore Napoleon and Europe, skips Alexander the Great in favor of a lecture about sexism, and devotes 2 minutes of his time to spout his opinion on some shitty document. It fails to do anything and everything. Buy a fucking history text book if you want a crash course, don't go seeking out this faggot's spiel.

This is entirely disregarding the fact that his only source is his fucking high school history teacher, whom by name I can assume is of ethnic background. Crash Courses should be a compilation of information from various sources and places to allow for the least biased view point and hone in on the most important detail. One American """"""""""""""""""""""""teacher"""""""""""""""""""""" is not apt for that

t. american who had to watch all of this shit in high school
>>
>>293726
If you are looking for a crash course for all of human history and you like to be entertained then the series is for you. The bias is a relatively minor concern and easy to detect.
>>
>>293726
Alexander the Great is a meme leader.

Also Great Man History is overrated.
>>
>>293707

but he's not militantly so... he does at least read his comments because as I recall he has in the past acknowledged these criticisms he receives in a video
>>
>>293752

For every one he acknowledges there's hundreds of valid complaints that he doesn't.

Really if you want entertaining history lessons Dan Carlin is a better source
>>
>>293707

maybe you feel defensive because europeans are disproportionately targeted as 'biased', but why would he spend time dispelling indo-centric, afro-centric, sino-centric ideas when his target audience is western?

eurocentric perspectives might be more of a relevant concern if you want to get folks in western culture to think critically about historic narratives, it's less stimulating if the audience leaves from watching the video feeling that all their prior ideas remain unchallenged.
>>
>>293749
I honestly don't give a shit about him, Mongols are equally as meme, but he gives them far more time. At least mention what Alexander did.

>>293736
A crash course for all of history, excluding most of Europe's. And the bias may be easy to detect for you, but someone less informed on the matter may have a bit more trouble.
>>
>>293764

but the complaints usually focus on biased perspective rather than biased or even inaccurate information.

the humanities and social sciences wouldn't see much progress if there weren't folks that could rustle a jimmy or two for any subject.
>>
>>293782
>but he gives them far more time
It's a fucking joke and he plays it as such. Lighten up. Also he gives an entire episode to the Persians and Greeks.
>>
>>293786

The videos are titled Crash Course are they not? A Crash Course should give a light, unbiased overview of a particular topic. Like the far superior channel Jabzy does.

What those videos do is cherry pick examples to fit a political narrative and conveniently ignore the picture at large.
>>
>>293782
>A crash course for all of history, excluding most of Europe's. And the bias may be easy to detect for you, but someone less informed on the matter may have a bit more trouble.
I disagree. He covers Europe plenty, just not perhaps as much as you would want him to. And to his credit he plays against the biases of the audience. Most of his audience thinks Europe civilized a bunch of savages and invented everything so he tries to be less eurocentric. Most people think women didn't matter for all of human history so he stresses the few parts where they did matter.

Sometimes he goes overboard but overall he comes off as very... humanistic. No one people is simply good or bad. They are all just humans.
>>
>>293808
Who thinks these things?

I see this argument made a lot, but normal people know that there were accomplishments by all sorts of people across the world.

It seems to me that if that is indeed what he's doing then he's doing it to a strawman audience and not a real one.
>>
>>293726
>his fucking high school history teacher, whom by name I can assume is of ethnic background
>ethnic background

that's problematic, isn't it? :^)
>>
>>293827
History as it has been taught has largely been eurocentric and focused on great men for a long time. That is inarguable and there are plenty of misconceptions and skewed perspectives of history holding over from the past.

If you had asked me about Chinese history coming out of high school I would have said "I remember that one time Europe shot a bunch of boxing Chinamen because they wouldn't buy Europe's opium" and that's it. Obviously I wasn't an AP history student but the fact remains that there are a lot of old biases still lingering around.
>>
>>293764
>Dan Carlin is a better source

Do you honestly think a random american teenage pleb will be willing to listen to one of Carlin's 8 hour audio sagas on a certain topic?
Or would he rather just watch a 5min video with neat animation?
>>
>>293864

Not to shit on your experiences but I just don't see that perspective anywhere else. Even in the intellectual wasteland that is the Australian education system we knew of civilisations in China, India, South America, etc.

Sure more people write more about their own culture, that's to be expected. The material is closer, the languages are easier, and they just care more. It doesn't mean they think everyone else are inferior savages.

So at best the Crash Course videos are vastly overcompensating for a poorly perceived idea about previous knowledge.
>>
>>293880
Please ignore stupid posts.
>>
>>293909
I can corroborate his experience though, we didn't even learn about things like Perry and Japanese Westernisation, the only mention of China was the opium wars and silk route and South America was basically about Spain and colonisation and slaves.

Our history high school book had about 100-150 pages on Europe during the 1500-1789 period.
China and Japan had 1 and a half pages. India wasn't even mentioned.

t. yuropoor
>>
>>289994
There is only one good youtube historian. The only one you need to follow.
https://www.youtube.com/user/zionget
>>
>>293952

Maybe I'm the odd one out then, we had no European history to speak of.
Still, I'm not fond of being reactionary in regards to teaching, just teach it all. Especially if your series is called Crash Course.
>>
>>293979
>just teach it all
Yes, that's what the people reacting against eurocentrism want, lol.

What country do you hail from?
>>
>>293802
>The videos are titled Crash Course are they not? A Crash Course should give a light, unbiased overview of a particular topic. Like the far superior channel Jabzy does.

that's not all he does, he tries to provide some sense of context to tie all the topics he does together
>>
>>293987

Crash Course is the wrong way to go about it though. It devotes episodes to relatively very minor things, and spends almost no time on significant things.

Australia.
>>
>>294015
Okay, so you think it could be more comprehensive instead of just hop, skip, and jumping between topics they can create a tidy narrative with. That is fair. Still a good series though given the right audience.
>>
>>294031

Essentially. For the most part it's not what they put in that's the problem but what they leave out.

You could do worse for a 10 min cartoon clip lesson aimed towards children but it's severely lacking when it comes to any serious discussion.
>>
>people get their information from fucking youtube
I want murricunts to leave this board. Please.
>>
>>293802
Jabzy is very good, but he only does wars. There is more to history than wars.
>>
>>289994
Didn't know about him. Really like what I've seen so far.

>>293529
I haven't seen many of his videos, but I find his style very unappealing. I think he tries too hard to be funny, wastes a lot of time doing so, and he's not successful with me.
>>
>>291800
Does someone has the link to the video?
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.