[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Since free will doesn't exist and everyone just acts based
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: alcatraz_prison_block_cc_img.jpg (226 KB, 1500x975) Image search: [Google]
alcatraz_prison_block_cc_img.jpg
226 KB, 1500x975
Since free will doesn't exist and everyone just acts based on their environment (including society) either no one or all of society goes to prison.
>>
I don't think cockroaches have free will, I still take anti-pest measures. Even if people have no free will, you should still take-anti crime measures.
>>
>>285482
If there is no free will, then the people performing unjust punishment in the name of justice are ALSO blameless and have no agency to change their actions.
>>
Just because you can't be blamed for your actions doesn't mean the actions you did are acceptable. Jailing is a purely practical concept to remove personality traits that negatively impact society.
>>
>>286246
But those people are later released onto society as hardened criminals. Recidivism rate is very high and thats only the caught ones. The ones that aren't caught are doing it with impunity knowing they have made it to hell and back.
>>
Why don't you rob a bank and argue to the judge that free will doesn't exist so you shouldn't be charged?
>>
>>286253
I know, I'm a rehabilitation dude too. I'm just arguing why negative unblamable actions must still be addressed against.
>>
>hard determinism
Utter dogshit. If you don't believe you are in control of your action, why not just kill yourself where you stand?
>>
>>286283
How? Anon isn't in control.
>>
>>286283
Who/what is this "you" that speaks?

>inb4 imaginary souls
>>
>>286290
heh
>>
>>286254
>implying a retard judge's opinion has any relevance regarding the veracity of the matter
>>
>>285482
You're conflating metaphysical free-will for metaethical free-will. Free will as a metaphysical concept is basically incoherent. As a metaethical concept it's as simple as traditional compatibilism. You have no control over your will, and your behavior will inevitably obey your will, but you are culpable for the actions you take so long as nothing physically prevented your will (and then your behavior) from taking course.

tl;dr:
If you will to commit a crime and nothing physically stops you from it, you go to jail.
If you will to commit a crime but something prevents you (trip and twist your ankle on the way, etc), then you haven't committed a crime, you don't go to jail.
If you don't will to commit a crime, then you won't. Obviously, no jail.
>>
>>286253
You are right but that anons point still stands. If we lived in a perfect world we would have a prison island/planet where undesirables are just dumped and left to themselves
>>
File: 1412194303113.jpg (62 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1412194303113.jpg
62 KB, 250x250
>Thinking law and order has anything to do with free will

We send dangerous people to prison.
What part of this is difficult to understand?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.