[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>All possible worlds are as real as the actual world Does
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: 1433807195249.jpg (24 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
1433807195249.jpg
24 KB, 350x350
>All possible worlds are as real as the actual world
Does anyone here actually believe in Modal Realism? Can this be used to justify escapist fantasies that anime and Middle Earth are real somewhere?
>>
>>275752
They might be real, but you're not in them.
>>
File: 1417834966658.jpg (20 KB, 270x321) Image search: [Google]
1417834966658.jpg
20 KB, 270x321
>>275763
I will be reborn.
>>
MODAL REALISM AND MANY WORLDS ARE NOT THE SAME THING
MODAL REALISM IS ARGUING THAT COUNTERFACTUALS BEING CONSIDERED REAL (IN THE SENSE OF MATHEMATICALLY "REAL") HELPS ACCOUNT FOR SOME PROBLEMS WITH MODAL LOGIC
MANY WORLDS IS PSEUDO-PHYSICSY HIGH SCHOOL STONER TIER NONSENSE
DAVID K LEWIS WAS A MODAL REALIST AND DID NOT BELIEVE IN THE MANY WORLDS INTERPRETATION IN ANY WAY
>>
>Possible worlds are causally isolated from each other.
So what's the point?
What's the difference between 'it's not real' and 'it's real but is causally isolated from me'?
>>
>>275786
Read the Possible Girls paper. Under modal realism you can communicate with people you can't causally interact with. Also analyticals believe animes are real.
>>
File: jean-baudrillard.jpg (73 KB, 620x478) Image search: [Google]
jean-baudrillard.jpg
73 KB, 620x478
>>275792
Well according to Continental philosophy "real" doesn't even matter. We are living in hyper reality now. Illusions about reality have become so stronger that they are now "more real" than the real world. In fact given the choice between the real thing and the illusion we will pick the illusion every time.

So go ahead be with your waifu. Your waifu is just as good as a 'real girl' in fact she is better! Why? Because "real" doesn't matter anymore, only illusion matters. In fact you probably aren't real either, you've probably forgotten the 'real you' long ago.
>>
>>275780
I wasn't claiming many-worlds, but all the descriptions of modal realism I've seen say possible worlds are as real as the actual world, and reference to actuality is indexical, not a labeling of them as abstract.
There's no need to type in ALL CAPS you fucking knob jockey.
>>
If infinite worlds exist, then there is indeed a world where middle earth exists.

And one that is exactly identical to ours, but a single atom in Alpha Centauri is a little bit closer to the center than in our universe.
>>
File: 1411953366472.png (29 KB, 778x458) Image search: [Google]
1411953366472.png
29 KB, 778x458
>>275786
IF I CAN'T SEE IT ISN'T THERE
>>
I don't see the point in saying "they're real" if I can't get to them
>>
>>276520
The entire point of empiricism is that you talk about measurable things so you don't go rambling about about speculative bullshit that's completely invented. I'm not saying philosophy has no use but expecting science to incorporate immaterial concepts defeats the entire point of learning about the material world, which is what it's for.
>>
It all just seems absurd to me. How long until we can create a perfect simulation of reality? How many aliens are smarter than us? How many simulations have they made? What are the odds then that we live in the real world? There's also Boltzmann brains...
>>
Read Borges my niggas.
>>
>>275752
Not /his/
>>
I believe in the multiverse theory of quantum mechanics, which implies the same thing. Every universe you can possibly imagine exists in the same sense as ours, the entirety of existence is just a field of all possibilities.
>>
>>277649
Do you even know what this board is?
>>
>>277649
>Not /his/
>This board is dedicated to the discussion of history and the other humanities such as philosophy

You're a faggot.
>>
>>275752
That's the logical consequence of an omniscient God.
>>
>>277692
Explain?
>>
>>277702
If you define omniscient as knowledge of all things that are possible then God basically simulates everything that is possible in his mind. He doesn't need to create it to make it real either, there's really no difference.
>>
>>277722

Does that include a scenario in which the Godslayer kills him?
>>
>>277750
Depends, if your God can defy logic then yes.
>>
Maybe. As far as we know, our laws of physics are the only ones that exist. Those laws of physics don't include Gandalf or similar stuff. If we find a separate multiverse that follows other laws, then it'd be a possible (and very probable) idea
>>
>>276561
Easy for empiricism to say. The definition of "material" is often adjusted as new theories are put forth.
>>
>>276442
as real as the actual world but NON-CASUALLY RELATED
>>
>>277811
I didn't say they were causally related, Mr Shouty.
>>
Is this what philosophags occupy their time thinking about?
>>
>>277808
The definition of matter isn't important to my argument. Being measurable is what matters.
>>
>>276520
You know, this is the argument Condillac uses to prove the uniqueness of God.
>>
>>275752
But is statistically probable. Is not fucking magic.
>almost everything that we can imagine, exists, will exist or has existed.
>>
If there are infinite universe.
Is there a universe where everything was exactly the same execpt just randomly once when I was in gym class at school all the girls got naked and I had sex with all of them. Because in this universe I also had 12 dicks? After that it was all normal and I kept the dicks?

Are there any books on this specifically?
>>
>>277758
I'm of the opinion that God defines logic. I'm not that guy, just offering my point of view.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.