[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was there ever a African Latin dialect?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8
File: Roman Africa.jpg (72 KB, 824x288) Image search: [Google]
Roman Africa.jpg
72 KB, 824x288
Was there ever a African Latin dialect?
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Romance

First result, newfag
>>
where did they go
>>
>>275534
Largely assimilated by Arabic/Berber, if you're looking for more awesome Roman African history check out Leptis Magna.
>>
>>275541
>Leptis Magna
ISIS is gonna capture and blow that up soon. I want to cry.
>>
>>275544
ISIS is in Syria, Leptis Magna is in Libya
>>
>>275879
No, ISIS is in Libya too now, and Iraq
>>
File: LeptisMagnaPhallic.jpg (397 KB, 1200x704) Image search: [Google]
LeptisMagnaPhallic.jpg
397 KB, 1200x704
>>275541
The population of Leptis Magna just left. When the city was taken by the Arabs, there was only a garrison left there. After awhile the Arabs abandoned an empty city.
>>
>>275352
it was called Holup
>>
File: 1442347138854.png (7 KB, 166x166) Image search: [Google]
1442347138854.png
7 KB, 166x166
Portuguese
>>
>>275930
kek
>>
>>275352
Egyptians spoke either Coptic or Greek tho.

Romans in those Regions-specially the upper class- spoke in Greek
>>
>>276543
They owned more than Egypt in Africa
>>
>>276508
French too.
>>
>inb4 saint Augustine was an African latin speaker
>>
>>275352
African Romance, plus a lot of rural people still knew Punic.
>>
>>278258
He was.
>>
>>280093
yes I know, so there were a lot of them.
what lots of you ameribros fail to understand is that there wasn't africa=black europe=white during the past. skin tone wasn't very important until circa fifteenth century. northern africans, southern spaniards, sicilians, southern italians, greeks, southern balkans, middle east, they had a variety of skin tone but a kinda homogenuous culture. in fact st Augustine was a african latin speaker, but at that time there wasn't a real cultural border between Roman africa and mainland Italy/Rome
>>
>>280630
You're literally making up assumptions. The majority of Americans consider north Africa to be middle eastern/Mediterranean in culture and genetic stock.
>>
>>275352

Yes, all evidence shows that Sardinian is African Romance's surviving dialect. Prior to Muslim conquest, Sardinian was politically and economically aligned to Roman and Byzantine Africa.
>>
>>278258
I don't know much much about the Church Fathers except that they wrote influential books.

So, was St.Augustine African? Which region was he from?
>>
>>280776
What are you talking about m8? He's just saying that people from the African and Middle-Eastern regions of Rome didn't really have the same distinctions we give them today as in Europe = White , everyone else is brown and the 'other' because there was a strong binding Roman culture.
>>
>>281016
He was from the roman province of Numidia, and is known as Agustine of Hippo because that's the city where he was bishop and als where he died killed by the vandal invasion. Its nowadays in Algeria, near to the border with Tunisia.
>>
>>281137
Damn, I though he was a European like Aquinas and people called him African as a meme. Looks like it wasn't.
>>
>>281150
He was african as fuck, but african for him didn't mean anything that different from Italian or Spaniard. It were different times.

Aquinas lived like 800 years after the death of agustine btw
>>
>>281202

>Aquinas lived like 800 years after the death of agustine btw
I know, it's just that on /lit/ they're both mentioned frequently together when discussing christian literature and Augustine sounds so normal and European that I assumed he was the same as Aquinas.
>>
>>281031
>what are you talking about m8

I'm replying to the assumption:
>what lots of you ameribros fail to understand is that there wasn't africa=black europe=white during the past

Which is why I stated that he's literally making up assumptions that Americans think Africa = Black. Most Americans are fully aware of the stark difference between North Africa and Sub-sahara Africa. I think people are taking the KING N SHIT meme too seriously and actually assuming most Americans think that way.
>>
File: 1698468349.jpg (81 KB, 760x797) Image search: [Google]
1698468349.jpg
81 KB, 760x797
>Roman Africa is gone.
>Instead we have angry Islamic camel jockeys from Morocco to the Indian border.
>there's no political will to reconquer the area because the only thing of value to come from it is diminishing oil exports
I keep waiting for an Egyptian head of state to declare himself Pharaoh and go full Rameses II on North Africa or Arabia but it's probably not going to happen.
>>
OP, you may find the following book by Jonathan Conant interesting.
"Staying Roman: Conquest and Identity in Africa and the Mediterranean, 439–700"
Among other things, North African Latin was mostly confined to the urbanized coastline, while the hinterland was mostly Berber (and Punic, which was in decline) - speaking.

Latin did leave a few tantalizing traces in the Berber languages, such as angalus and tafaska.

The last NA-Romance-speaking community was in Gafsa but over time they lost that and converted to Islam too. No idea if this implies anything, but apparently there may have been a few native Christians left when Ceuta was captured by the Portuguese, but they would have been quickly assimilated.
>>
File: romantic Arabic.png (128 KB, 1690x832) Image search: [Google]
romantic Arabic.png
128 KB, 1690x832
>>275352
here, ancilla
>>
>>275879
ISIS is in Libya too bro.
>>
>>281258
This. I tell people one of the Roman emperors was African I get confused stares because they think I'm claiming he was Zimbabwean or something.
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 400x430) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 400x430
Semitics/Phoenicia-boo here.

Provided this thread survives till morning, I can dump some bibliography rec's on Roman Africa and things Punic if there's any interest.
>>
>>282200
But people don't even both reading from the writers at the time, there were black tribes in Carthage written by Romans and Greeks, there were White Blacks and Black Whites as they were called by them.

Color was important in Africa, always has been to outsiders from here.
>>
>>281327
>all those hundreds of rich cities in Africa
>the richest and most secure part of the Roman world
>all that sweet farmland
>all gone now
>all salted by the Arabs
>>
>>282906
Everything the Arabs touch, they ruin.
>ancient Mesopotamia
>pagan Egypt
>Roman Africa
>Persia
>The Eastern Roman Empire
>modern Europe
>>
>>282940
>Pagan Egypt
But Egypt was mostly Christian at the time of the Muslim Conquests
>>
>>282940
>ancient Mesopotamia
Irrelevant at this point
>pagan Egypt
Nope, Assyrians/Persians/Greeks/Romans/and Christians
>Roman Africa
I'll give you that one. The arabs were retarded and overgrazed prime farmland because they utterly refused to just adopt agriculture.
>Persia
Mercy kill
>The Eastern Roman Empire
They lost against Rome
>modern Europe
/his/ is about everything before the fall of the Soviets
>>
File: Hungary_Pecs_2005_June_085.jpg (498 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
Hungary_Pecs_2005_June_085.jpg
498 KB, 1200x900
Another what-if kind of lost language:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pannonian_Romance
>>
File: 4_6-Turkish-Kilij.jpg (74 KB, 800x593) Image search: [Google]
4_6-Turkish-Kilij.jpg
74 KB, 800x593
>>282940
>Everything the Arabs touch, they ruin.
Arabs touched Turkics and...Turkics ruined them
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.