[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /his/ think about LessWrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: LessWrongLogo[1].png (28 KB, 255x102) Image search: [Google]
LessWrongLogo[1].png
28 KB, 255x102
What does /his/ think about LessWrong?
>>
Marginally sane cult of personality centered around the fedora-est fedora that ever tipped
>>
>>272800
This. Also, I'm rather autistically mad at them for misappropriating the term rationalism.
>>
They're willing to ask massive questions that no one else would even think of, but they're unwilling to follow those questions to any kind of logical conclusion. They lack imagination and perspective.
>>
Here is what Lesswrongians believe.
>they are, or strive to become, perfectly logical Mr. Spock autist calculators
>Bayesianism, rather than a statistical tool, is an a priori guiding principle you should live your life by
>they will all be raptured into robot bodies any day now
>you have to read the "sequences", in order to be taken seriously, the over 500k word ramblings of an audodidact with legendarily inflated self-importance
>said autodidact is an expert in quantum mechanics, higher mathematics, logic, artificial intelligence, and ethics
>you should maximize utility by donating as much money as possible to Eliezer's "Singularity Institute," the organization from which he draws a healthy salary
>>
I'm glad it exists as its one of the few places to realized becoming "rational" is hard work.

>>272978
They have an article specifically criticizing the idea that being rational means acting like Spock. They don't believe robot bodies is just around the corner as other see that and things like AI risk as unrealistic. Discussions about maximizing utility through donating to various organization focus on things like Effective Altruism not Eliezer's organization. I'm not even a member there but posts like these and "its just a cult of personality" makes me wonder if anybody actually reads their discussions.
>>
>>272978
Come on man, most of the sequences are relatively short and lucid.
Also he's not the only one writing them.
>>
>Lesswrong users actually believe this
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2014/07/roko_s_basilisk_the_most_terrifying_thought_experiment_of_all_time.html
>>
>>273321
>get nightmares from your own thought experiments
This is some postmodernist shit.
>>
>>272978
So it's literally a cult?
>>
>>274740
Pretty much. The cult of Bayes.
>>
Yudkowsky is a secular cult leader.

>"Find whatever you’re best at; if that thing that you’re best at is inventing new math of artificial intelligence, then come work for the Singularity Institute."
>"If the thing that you’re best at is investment banking, then work for Wall Street and transfer as much money as your mind and will permit to the Singularity Institute where it will be used by other people."
>>
File: 1441880023367.png (33 KB, 502x380) Image search: [Google]
1441880023367.png
33 KB, 502x380
>>273243
>>
>autistic swingers club led by Harry Potter fanfic writer
>takes friendly AI seriously
>effective altruism

oven it
>>
File: 1437319064332.jpg (79 KB, 521x653) Image search: [Google]
1437319064332.jpg
79 KB, 521x653
/his/ has taught me so much about these weird autistic cults the last few days
LessWrong, Stefan Molyneux, Jack Donovan
>>
>>275578
Read Roko's Basilisk and watch your disbelief in the inane be shattered.

LessWrong original members and creator abandoned the site sometime ago so it's a husk of its former self.

I'd post a pepe but mobile
>>
File: soren.jpg (87 KB, 432x554) Image search: [Google]
soren.jpg
87 KB, 432x554
Rationality is for dipshits
>>
File: iwge2E8.png (58 KB, 429x388) Image search: [Google]
iwge2E8.png
58 KB, 429x388
>less wrong
>>
>>278671
Future historians will consider people like Arthur Chu and Eliezer Yudkowsky to be the great intellectuals of our generation.
>>
>>278782
That says a lot about their competition.
>>
>>278671
I'm pretty sure Chu would be an extremist in any group he'd join.
>>
>>273243
>They have an article specifically criticizing the idea that being rational means acting like Spock
That's pretty autistic
>>
File: 1446970244357.png (144 KB, 400x322) Image search: [Google]
1446970244357.png
144 KB, 400x322
>>273243
>>
>>273243
>cryogenics
>many worlds interpretation
>mind uploading
>roko's basilisk
>technological ressurection
>muh singularity

This shit is about as scientific as raelism or scientology. Not that it matters, because frequentist approach is useless and Bayes' theorem is magic, apparently.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.