[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is linear historical progress a myth?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: alcohol.jpg (406 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
alcohol.jpg
406 KB, 1920x1440
Is linear historical progress a myth?
>>
linear? yes
progress? no
>>
Yes, Marx just appropriated the ideas of Hegel (Historical Materialism).

Today's libtards just unconsciously channel it without really realizing that what they believe in is something that has ideological roots.
>>
Progress in what? Technology? Mathematics? Science? Morality? 'Civilisation'?
>>
>>26707
Sort of, sort of not. It is possible that you could put together a narrative of progress over time to explain your history, and it may not be entirely wrong, but it won't be 100% right either.
>>
>>26707
Yes if you apply it to the whole world. There are too many separate civilizations for it to work.
>>
>>26707
The world as a whole is much wealthier, healthier, freer, and more peaceful than it was in say 1800.
Whether the world is "better" is a much more difficult question to answer.
>>
The generalization of 'progression' is a myth.

The facts of military, technological, and territorial progression in history are objectively not myths but simple facts of reality.
>>
Yes but only if you acknowledge that time itself is not linear. The interesting thing is you can draw a line through it, but that line is bound to have a sudden end.
>>
Are you referring to a specific theory? The problem is calling it just 'linear historical progress' and not defining doesn't do much to focus on the topic.
>>
No. 10,000 BC happened and then 9,999 BC happened.
>>
>>26707
1000% yes.

"IT'S 2015" is the dumbest phrase to ever be spewed and I wish I could know what exactly goes through the minds of the braindead people who say it unironically.
>implying history is linear and not filled with an infinite amount of narratives
>implying progressiveness isn't an arbitrary standard
>>
>>26707
Kinda, if you're looking back then no. It's real in some very tangible regards. At the very least we're wealthier than ever and there are things that we can do now that we couldn't do a while ago. But does that make those that came before us lesser? Will we be lesser than our children and our children's children?

It all comes down to perspective. Looking backwards it's easy thing to do to write off everyone who's dead and burned and say that we're better than they were, but are we really? Define better and then we'll talk shop.

Looking forward though, progress is completley irrelevant.
>Ask me about the heat death of the universe
>>
>>26707

It sure is.
A french philosopher calls it Orpheus complex.
If you understand french:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Yfi9sB52M
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.