[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post Bible verses no one follows and discuss when and why God died.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8
File: tumblr_meu3c3tEsh1rne69y.jpg (99 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_meu3c3tEsh1rne69y.jpg
99 KB, 500x500
Post Bible verses no one follows and discuss when and why God died.
>>
>>265176
>not knowing jesus made the old testament obsolete
>>
>>265176
How does one adorn oneself with a good deed?
What a shitty writer.
>>
>mfw Catholishits break 1, 2, and 6 and still claim to be Christians
>>
File: 842751002731.jpg (121 KB, 1000x642) Image search: [Google]
842751002731.jpg
121 KB, 1000x642
rekt desu
>>
File: ten_commandments__131121204920.jpg (206 KB, 403x298) Image search: [Google]
ten_commandments__131121204920.jpg
206 KB, 403x298
>>265204
Forgot pic
>>265196
It doesn't make it obsolete you idiot. It adds forgiveness and a few other things.
>>
File: 1447102141448.jpg (4 KB, 125x110) Image search: [Google]
1447102141448.jpg
4 KB, 125x110
>>265206
>>
>>265176

Deutereonomy 32:8-9

>When the Most High (’elyôn) gave to the nations their inheritance, when he separated humanity, he fixed the boundaries of the peoples according to the number of divine beings. For Yahweh’s portion is his people, Jacob his allotted heritage.

A bible verse implying that

1. God isn't the only god
2. God (Yahweh) isn't even the most powerful god, he was just given Israel by the top god
>>
>>265207
>thou shalt not kill
shitty translation, especially since the very next chapter in the Bible gives the death penalty for tons of trivial shit like cursing your mommy
>>
>>265207
I've never figured out what exactly the 2nd commandment means. I've read interpretations that vary from forbidding idol worship to making no images of anything physical, at all. Like the muslims.
>>
>>265207
>VI: Thou Shalt Not Kill

I like how the Byzantines were so careful about this one that when they overthrew an emperor, they just brutally mutilated him (blinding him, chopping off hands) instead of killing him.
>>
>>265222
The Jews worshipped the God of this earth, referred to in the New Testament as the Devil.
>>
>>265223
Sure thing degenerate
>>265224
It means don't make images. Idol worship falls under 1.
>>
>>265207
that's yahweh the demiurge though. why would anyone follow his shit tier rules?
>>
>>265240

That doesn't sound right. The Devil is Satan, and he's a completely different entity from Yahweh in the Old Testament. At worst, he works for Yahweh (The Book of Job heavily implies that they've got some kind of professional relationship).
>>
>>265245
le ad-hominem may may
>>
>>265245
So all those icons and christian artwork are in violation of it? I find it a little hard to believe that all of christendom just ignored that shit.
>>
>>265245
It literally means "don't make statues". Says nothing about paintings, drawings, doodles, etc.
>>
DUDE HALF OUR BIBLE IS METAPHOR LMAO
>>
>>265256
In the Old testament god refers to himself as the god of this earth, who controls human lives and is responsible for literally raining hellfire upon those who he is angry with.

In the New Testament, Jesus says that His Kingdom is not of this Earth, but of the heavens and that Satan is the lord of this Earth, ruler and great deceiver of mankind.
>>
>>265259

The Romans had a big fight over it at one point, and eventually decided that icons were ok
>>
>>265259
Because half of them didn't even read the bible and were only Christians because it was popular.
>>
>>265275

But in the Old Testament God and Satan are clearly different entities. There's really no mistaking that. It does mention that Satan roams the earth whenever he feels like it, though (chapter 1 of Job).
>>
>>265263
>worships an angry jew god
lmao
>>
>>265284
>because it was popular
Fucking Christ, your understanding of history is laughable.
>>
>>265275
yhwh = demiurge = satan
shit is getting real
>>
>>265287
It is heavily implied in the Old Testament through the different words all used to refer to "God" such as Yahweh and Elohim, that the god of the Old Testament is not a singular entity but instead multiple gods. The god of the Old Testament acknowledges there to be other gods on earth. The new and old testament are really talking about two different gods.

For example, look at how petty "God" is in the Old Testament, ordering genocides of people and killing and harming those ignorant of his religion indiscriminately.

Yahweh of the Old Testament is an entirely different entity all together than the God, father of Jesus Christ in the New Testament.
>>
>>265306
Exactly.

If there truly is a Satan, it is Yahweh, god of the Jews. It always has been.

The creator of this Earth is the demiurge, Shaitan, Satan, Yahweh, the Devil, all are the same. The Christian God is not of this Earth, and this is not a part of his kingdom until Jesus Christ returns and all is set in place the way it should be.

Disregard this and you are only barely better than a Christ hater, and you are under the influence of Satan.
>>
>>265196
That's from the New Testament retard
>>
Orthodox women follow this.
>>
>>265319
But that isn't the case. The Transfiguration provides a good example of the identity of Jesus as the affirmer and fulfiller of the Old Testament Law and Prophets. In the first chapter of John we can already find multiple allusions to the Old Testament, for example the statement that the pre-incarnate Son was present at creation. There's no rebuttal of the Genesis account here, but an affirmation, as the words that God spoke at creation are identified with the Word, that is, the Son. On top of this, John the Baptist uses Isaiah to proclaim the arrival of Christ. These are hardly things that would be seen if the Old and New Testaments spoke about different Gods. Instead, the Old Testament looks forward to Christ, and Christ affirms this in His words and deeds
>>
>>265378
Of course you will find allusions to a book that the writer of a new book believed in. Look past all of it and look simply at what Jesus says of the Lord.

Keep in mind that the Old Testament was not written of God, but of the Devil, and that Jesus's apostles were susceptible to him as well. It is Satan's mission to deceive and confuse you to draw you away from the one true God.

Good luck, and thank you for meaningful conversation on 4chan.
>>
The west now follows Mammon, anons. It's rather obvious.
>>
I don't see enough Christians wearing eyepatches

>If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.
>>
>>265525
It's a metaphor dumbfuck
>>
>>265544

How shall we fuck off, O Lord?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_84-A3LT0Lo
>>
>>265544
but muh sola scriptura
>>
>>265470
There are multiple instances of Jesus associating Himself with the Old Testament though. I already mentioned the Transfiguration, but other examples include:
John 5:45-47- 'But do not think I will accuse you before the Father. Your accuser is Moses, on whom your hopes are set. If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote about me. But since you do not believe what he wrote, how are you going to believe what I say?'
Luke 10:25-28- 'On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. 'Teacher,' he asked, 'what must I do to inherit eternal life?' 'What is written in the Law?' he replied. 'How do you read it?' He answered: 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbour as yourself.'' 'You have answered correctly,' Jesus replied. 'Do this and you will live.'
These are only a few examples, but throughout the Gospels it's clear that Jesus talks about the Old Testament as authoritative in terms of its divine inspiration and truth, and He presents Himself as the ultimate fulfiller and interpreter of the Old Testament.
>>
>>265196
I love this meme.
>Matthew 5:17-19
>>
I am just going to leave this here.

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/

Enough material to keep this thread going for another 2000 years.
>>
>>267145
why not 4000?
The annotated bible to the annotated bible
http://www.berenddeboer.net/sab/
>>
>>267614
The defense of the book of Job is painful
>>
File: NOA Bible.jpg (15 KB, 250x346) Image search: [Google]
NOA Bible.jpg
15 KB, 250x346
>>267145

Skeptic's annotated bible is shit. It tries so hard to be "gotcha fundies" that it almost completely ignores the historical context of the material and generally treats "the bible" as a unitary composition instead of the collection of multiple books by multiple authors that it is.

Pic related, the superior secular bible.
>>
>>267843
Also get some Bible commentaries

The Oxford one is neat but not very deep-going
>>
>>265259
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iconoclasm

learn you some
>>
>>265207
Thou shalt not kill (people of this particular jewish tribe that I gave those laws to and I chose to be my people, non-chose people are fair game to kill).
>>
DUDE CONTEXT AND METAPHORS LMAO
>>
>>269692
It's actually very often relevant. However, Christians should stop screaming that every time they hear about a verse they dislike if they can't actually explain why the context changes the meaning.
>>
>>265259
Iconoclasm was a huge deal in the church for a few centuries, 6th-8th centuries AD iirc, that's why so many ancient Greek and Roman statues ended up destroyed or altered i.e. genitals removed.
>>
>>269692
Yes? A compilation of stories over millennia by hundreds of different authors in dozens of languages translated multiple times needs to be understood in the context of the time and place it was written.
>>
>>265222
>Deutereonomy 32:8-9
mmmmmhmmmmmm
>>
File: thoushalt.jpg (17 KB, 284x179) Image search: [Google]
thoushalt.jpg
17 KB, 284x179
kuked in the name of the lord
>>
>>272957
What's that shitty translation?
>>
File: verse.png (10 KB, 871x154) Image search: [Google]
verse.png
10 KB, 871x154
>>265176
>"(let the reader understand)"
God "died" because readers of the bible don't understand audience relevance
>>
So long as we're discussing the ten commandments

"Thou shalt not commit adultery'

and

"Thou shalt not covet they neighbors wife"

Any clue why this one appears twice?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/adulterate

Is there a chance that we've been rused, and that historically, adultery has nothing to do with non-married sex?
>>
>>273067
I believe adultery is the act and coveting is a continued fantasy in which someone else's belongings or wife is yours. Coveting eventually leads to stealing or adultery, but even if it doesn't, it's difficult to truly love your neighbor if you indulge these fantasies frequently.
>>
>>273067
Covet in this context means simply desiring to fuck her. The other commandment tells you it's wrong to do it (unwillingly too, for instance, at gunpoint).
>>
>>273092
well that makes sense, but the other commandments have nothing to do with what you're thinking, except arguably 'remember the sabbath and keep it holy'

why would the writer say 'dont steal' and also say 'dont think about stealing,' it seems convoluted

something tells me that the meaning just became perverted over time, like countless other english words, and it never gets re-examined because its religion
>>
>>273067

I think it's important to go with the full verse. Using the NRSV translation, the Exodus and Deuteronomy versions are:

Exodus 20:17 You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or male or female slave, or ox, or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.

Deuteronomy 5:21 Neither shall you covet your neighbor’s wife. Neither shall you desire your neighbor’s house, or field, or male or female slave, or ox, or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.

Firstly, "covet" doesn't mean fuck, it means to desire strongly, often to the point of scheming to acquire it. Secondly, the verse goes through a list of all your neighbor's stuff, not to make a complete list of everything you shouldn't covet, but (in my opinion) to make a point - your neighbor's stuff? Leave that shit alone. All of it.
>>
>>265350
But the tale of Job teaches us that god and the devil are separate (though chummy).
>>
>>265224
the second commandment protects our right to bear arms dummy
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.