[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This picture being the face of the board is going to cause strife
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 22
File: WhySherman.jpg (1 MB, 2364x2966) Image search: [Google]
WhySherman.jpg
1 MB, 2364x2966
This picture being the face of the board is going to cause strife and anger until it is removed. My feelings on him aside, I think we should choose a more universally accepted face for the board. A poet, a philosopher, an archaeologist, a musician, or many other options would cause less controversy than a general who lead a particularly death/rape filled march.
>>
>>24705
According to the American media, the opinions and feelings of Southerners can be safely disregarded. Anyway, most of them are spineless. Look how easily they took their flags down. They deserve to be spat on.
>>
File: Sir_George_Cockburn.jpg (27 KB, 311x398) Image search: [Google]
Sir_George_Cockburn.jpg
27 KB, 311x398
This man
>>
>>24751
Your fellow Americans (assuming you're American) do not deserve your disrespect. Grant would be ashamed of how quickly Northerners are to shame Southerners.
>>
>>24926
I am not American and do agree it is quite disgusting the hatred that Northerners have for Southerners. But, this should be weighed against the fact that the Southerners are a defeated people who deserve contempt for having been so conclusively beaten, as have the Germans. They have proven themselves to be weak and deserving of such a degraded position. Their further capitulation this year on the flag issue is more proof of their defeated mindset.
>>
Pericles or Nietzsche or Napoleon
>>
>>24705
Sherman did nothing wrong. Only butthurt Southerners cry that he did his job too well.
>>
>>24976
>deserve content
Why is this the place for that? Specifically choosing a historical figure that disgusts a particular group of people for the purpose of making them feel shame due to their modern issues is not cool.
I don't want to be part of /pol/ 2.0
>>
>>24705
>or many other options would cause less controversy than a general who lead a particularly death/rape filled march.

I fail to see the problem with this as long as people continue to be civilized while discussing here, we are here to talk about history after all. The only possible problem with him is that he isn't that well known to non-Americans, but it's hard to think of a person that has influenced the whole world, maybe Vasco da Gama or Colombus
>>
File: 2353---base_image_4.1424269591.jpg (92 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
2353---base_image_4.1424269591.jpg
92 KB, 800x600
>>24705
It should clearly be Herodotus. I mean come on, he's the father of history, nuff said.
>>
>>25036
You might as well say that Himmler did nothing wrong and that only butthurt Jews cry that he did his job too well.
You know it's going to bother people. You know people will never be happy with it. Why are you alienating people?
>>
>>24705
its an unfortunate way to start the board. Especially since it was attached to a message asking for peace and a lack of biased shitposting.
>>
>>25120
It's a rather recent act of death/rape.
There is a somewhat large group of people who will always see a picture of this guy who they consider their Hitler.
Even if to nobody else, to these people it is disturbing to look at this guy.
>>
>>24705
Sherman is a significant historical figure who should be evaluated from his actions (the first large scale application of total war in the industrial era) without prejudice to their morality (the murder and destruction of the livelihood of a large number of Southerners). I would also defend the use of Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin or Bomber Harris as a picture if it were so.

That your feelings are hurt is irrelevant. Go back to your hugbox if you thin buttocks are so easily penetrated. Dirty, fucking whore
>>
Why the fuck is that General the face of this board?

Ironic considering this board was to create an environment to abolish the so called us vs them attitude.

Change the image.
>>
I'd be much in favour of a classical figure, Sherman was a bad choice.
>>
>>24705
If we banned the use of historical figures because feelings are hurt, then more than half the cast of history will have to be discarded. Columbus for his brutal genocide of Native Americans, Genghis Khan for the destruction of rational Islamic civilization, even people peripherally connected to mass murderers, say for example Guderian, would be taboo. The only thing that could be discussed is anodyne and inoffensive topics like Mozart (and his scatological fetishes) or Susan B. Anthony, but even then, you could find ways to condemn them. Then what? Ban them again?

OP is a womanly son of a bitch, possibly a fucking homosexual, whose attempt to circumscribe discussion here should be disregarded. He is possibly from reddit, tumblr or /pol/, who enjoy screaming for things that challenge their mindsets to be banned, as many millennial pussies do.
>>
File: AlexanderTheGreat_Bust.jpg (128 KB, 768x1062) Image search: [Google]
AlexanderTheGreat_Bust.jpg
128 KB, 768x1062
I think we can all agree
>>
>>25329

But you are creating the us vs them attitude
>>
>>25426

Alexander was responsible for the destruction of classical Persian civilization and mass murder from the Adriatic to the Indus. He should have no place at the top.
>>
>>25295
It should be fine to post about characters as dividing as Hitler, Stalin, Sherman, etc but having one of them as the board's face is going to be constant division without supporters of those people thinking the board is on their side. If it was Hitler, you know the board will be filled with more Hitler supporters. With Sherman the board is filled with more South haters.
I don't want to see
>le losers flag
>lel hicks get out
>sherman tha best he raped the south
in every single American thread.
>>
>>25426
>tfw turning an island into a peninsula
Feels good man
>>
>>25234
>There is a somewhat large group of people who will always see a picture of this guy who they consider their Hitler.
Then don't discuss history? It's possible that most important historical figures will cause that in one person or another, one shouldn't be this emotional.
I know you (and many others here too, I guess) are worried about this becoming /pol/ 2.0, but you can't also let that just ruin your experience here
>>
>>25234

I don't think the hurt feelings of southerners is that big of a deal desu
>>
>>25234

People are still whining today about the Crusades and the European conquest of the Americas from 500-1000 years ago. If we kept pushing back to a time where contemporary people are not buttblasted, we would end up in prehistory. This is not a compelling enough reason.
>>
>>25453
So he did nothing wrong in other words.
>>
>>25514
Yes, because Southerners are objectively worse than other humans and deserve mockery.
>>
>>25484

Everyone is someone's Hitler. And anyone who whines about /pol/ taking over this place, is a weakling who is not prepared to fight to the death for this board's impartiality. They should fuck off immediately to a place more condign to their expectations of mod fiat and restrictions on posting, than remain here, such as /co/ or /tg/.
>>
>>25546
Then how about the reason that we could have chosen somebody other than a war monger? What drove the mods to choose Sherman? He's too specific a historic figure for it to have been an oversight. They could have chosen somebody that they knew wouldn't cause controversy, but they chose to start something.
>>
Who cares stop being butt hurt
>>
File: 1443544780882.jpg (16 KB, 447x444) Image search: [Google]
1443544780882.jpg
16 KB, 447x444
>>25600
>And anyone who whines about /pol/
Get used to it. This board will be full of those whiny cockroaches, they're the same people who were against the creation of this board and now they will frequent it to whine about /pol/ 24/7. I have no idea what drives these disgusting people.

Hopefully they will get bored in time and this can become a comfy board like /int/.
>>
>>25633
They chose him because he was a meme for sometime on /b/, one of the original boards of this site. This was before the start of this decade so a Johnny Come Lately reddit refugee like yourself would not understand.
>>
>>25675
This is an experimental board. We're talking about how the culture of the board is going to be. You want it to be one way, I want it to be another. How do we settle this?
>>
>>25703
>How do we settle this?
You go back to reddit where you belong and we will both be happy. It's simple.
>>
>>25739
Or you could go back to /int/ and /pol/ where you belong and we will both be happy.
See? I can make baseless accusations too.
>>
>>25633

You're right Hiroshima Nagasaki picked this very image to trigger you.
>>
>people taking Dixie butthurt seriously
Seriously though, /pol/, tumblr, and reddit are all places you can go to if you can't look at an image without becoming such emotional wreck that you can no longer discuss history impartially.
>>
Honestly I don't see what the big deal is. He killed a bunch of anti American slave owners with his impressive military might.
>>
>>25779
Let's just make it Hitler then. He was much more historically significant and is basically recognized by everybody.
>>
>>25703
>more worried about imposing a board culture than letting it develop naturally as it goes along

Such an overtly political agenda can only have been sprung from the mind of /pol/. Fuck off back there if you are so concerned about establishing a safe space.
>>
I'm pretty sure that pic was used solely to keep /pol/ out
>>
>>25799
>raped and pillaged Atlanta 99% of which were entirely innocent civilians
>anti American slave owners
Even if you want to keep him, don't insist that he did nothing wrong.
>>
>>24705
>Sherman
Literally who?
>>
>>25774
What>>25834
says is right, you're the one trying to impose your views on us. Go fuck yourself with your political agenda you disgusting waste of oxygen, no one wants you here. You belong on /pol/ since you're clearly obsessed with it.
>>
>>25834
It's not a safe space that I want. We can talk about Hitler, Sherman, and anybody else. Mods choosing to sticky a bad guy is weird though.
>>
>>25851

Oh and supporters of anti American slave owners.
>>
>>25826

I am for Sherman and I support this. That is because whoever is in the picture is irrelevant to the purpose of the board, it is only done to placate homosexual tumblrinas who get pierced in the anus by things which trigger them.
>>
>>25882
>a bad guy

Kek this is a history board you are looking for /tv/ or /co/
>>
Southern manhood is nothing when its modern day acolytes are such colossal women and homosexuals who scream for the mod's tit as if they just popped out of their mothers' cunt. Lee and Jackson are rolling in their graves at the effeminacy of OP. He really is a fucking woman, and should be castrated or raped.
>>
>>25888
What tumblrina would get bothered by Sherman?
>>
>>25915
/thread
>>
>>25918
Grant spins in his at your complete disrespect of your Southern brothers
>>
>>25882
It is absolutely a safe space that you want. You damnned sissy. Mincing little queer. You don't want to be triggered by William T.'s ugly leering Neanderthal mug whenever you come in. It is understandable. Being this triggered by an image is the condition of a fuccboi who spreads his legs and screams for mods to do his bidding.
>>
>>25160
Well one of those people helped engineer the total extermination of an "inferior" set of races and helped cause the worst war in human history.

Another used any means necessary to divide and conquer a traitorous, slavery-supporting group of madmen, and thereby saved the Union.

One will live on as one of his nation's greatest hero, the other will rot in the gutters of humanity.
>>
If the Southerners were smart, they should cite not Sherman's warcrime of burning Atlanta (which no one cares about since Southerners are pig), but his near genocidal views on the Native Americans in the Indian Wars. That would get progressives on their side.
>>
>>25877

why waste yours and everyone else's time if you don't know who he is
>>
File: 1410101542381.png (24 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1410101542381.png
24 KB, 645x773
>>25971
W-what if that poster is a grill?
>>
>>25991
We could argue about who is good and who is bad all day, but what it comes down to is that you really hate Southerners and want to mock us at every single opportunity. Fine, I'll leave.
>>
No problem with Sherman but I think Napoleon would be utterly fitting
>>
>>26012
why put a literally who as the face of the board
>>
>>26032
Then go to /pol/. There are many Southerners there.
>>
>>25882
>bad guy
HURRAH HURRAH
WE BRING THE JUBILEE
HURRAH HURRAH
THE FLAG THAT MAKES YOU FREE
>>
A T L A N T A
T
L
A
N
T
A
>>
>>26031
>gril
>history board

Do not forget where you are
>>
>>26048

If you have only a pedestrian knowledge of history in general, then why waste your time on this board? To someone with a genuine interest in history and/or humanities this person is most likely immediately recognizable. If you're here to learn, then maybe keep your mouth shut and your eyes open
>>
>>26129
>To someone with a genuine interest in history and/or humanities this person is most likely immediately

this person is immediatly recognizable to the average american lardass, don't flatter yourself Billy

nobody outside dumfuckistan gives a shit about sherman
>>
>>25843
That's, uh, not how /pol/ works. It's like you don't poke a hornet's nest to scare off hornets.
>>
>>26180

>dumbfuckistan, lardass, etc.
>thinks I am American

this is my fault, good day
>>
We should require trigger warnings too so no one gets their feelings hurt on accident
>>
>>25137
this
>>
File: 1443176904869.jpg (195 KB, 798x770) Image search: [Google]
1443176904869.jpg
195 KB, 798x770
>>26405
>not amerucan guise, I swear

ok Billy Freedomâ„¢, whatever you say
>>
>>24705
Hitler seems more 4chan-ish if you ask me.
>>
File: 34.jpg (79 KB, 604x467) Image search: [Google]
34.jpg
79 KB, 604x467
Volunteering Mosley reading this relevant book

I'm chill with Sherman tho
>>
>>24705
I don't get why anyone would consider him a hero other than to piss someone else off

being especially cruel to your own countrymen is not a desireable trait in any leader
>>
>>25453
Destruction?He just offered a better one and they accepted it.His moves were too good for you
>>
>>24705
>You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out. I know I had no hand in making this war, and I know I will make more sacrifices to-day than any of you to secure peace. But you cannot have peace and a division of our country. If the United States submits to a division now, it will not stop, but will go on until we reap the fate of Mexico, which is eternal war. [...]
>You might as well appeal against the thunder-storm as against these terrible hardships of war. They are inevitable, and the only way the people of Atlanta can hope once more to live in peace and quiet at home, is to stop the war, which can only be done by admitting that it began in error and is perpetuated in pride. [...]
>In Memphis, Vicksburg, and Mississippi, we fed thousands and thousands of the families of rebel soldiers left on our hands, and whom we could not see starve. Now that war comes to you, you feel very different. You deprecate its horrors, but did not feel them when you sent car-loads of soldiers and ammunition, and moulded shells and shot, to carry war into Kentucky and Tennessee, to desolate the homes of hundreds and thousands of good people who only asked to live in peace at their old homes, and under the Government of their inheritance. But these comparisons are idle. I want peace, and believe it can only be reached through union and war, and I will ever conduct war with a view to perfect an early success.
>But, my dear sirs, when peace does come, you may call on me for any thing. Then will I share with you the last cracker, and watch with you to shield your homes and families against danger from every quarter.
- William T. Sherman, Letter to Atlanta
>>
>>26736
>William T. Sherman
who?
>>
File: seinfeldglasses_8.png (327 KB, 495x498) Image search: [Google]
seinfeldglasses_8.png
327 KB, 495x498
>>26484

where do people like you come from? I bet you flexed your wrist muscle extra hard when you clicked on that Pepe that you only use to get people "btfo" or "ass blasted", whilst audibly cursing me
>>
File: 1443039157941.jpg (71 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
1443039157941.jpg
71 KB, 650x366
This guy
>>
File: Caesar.jpg (125 KB, 449x640) Image search: [Google]
Caesar.jpg
125 KB, 449x640
Come on.
>>
>>24705
Can we put Alexander the Great up there? Everyone loved him and he did many great things besides just carving out an empire.

Alternatively Socrates or similar.
>>
>>26864
bud, nobody gives a shit about this "sherman" person outisde america, get over yourself
>>
File: mussolini.jpg (870 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
mussolini.jpg
870 KB, 1920x1200
>>26893
I think this is a better choice.
>>
>>26032
Southerners are still okay to villify, the media told them so

Still, it's been done so many times and has so little shock value you'd think it'd be low hanging fruit.

At this point the South is rapidly assimilating into mainstream America- if it wasn't for attitudes like this it might already have happened.
>>
File: mfwSouthernApologists.jpg (38 KB, 490x621) Image search: [Google]
mfwSouthernApologists.jpg
38 KB, 490x621
>>24705
>particularly death/rape filled march
Sherman's March did not in any way have more rape or death than any other military campaign of comparable size, if anything it had less. He specifically instructed his soldiers to ignore civilians unless they were obstructing or harassing them, and evacuated Atlanta before the fire . resulting in civilan casualties below a hundred for the entire March.
Read "Southern Storm: Sherman's March to the Sea" for detailed information
>>25484
>There is a somewhat large group of people who will always see a picture of this guy who they consider their Hitler.
And those people are completely retarded and laughably wrong.
>Population of Atlanta in 1860 - ~10,000 / Georgia - ~1.1 million
>Population of Atlanta in 1870 - ~22,000 / Georgia - ~1.2 million
>Population of Jews in Europe in 1933 - ~9.5 million
>Population of Jews in Europe in 1950 - ~3.5 million
As you can see from the raw numbers, any comparison of Sherman's to any genocide is moronic.
As the man himself wrote in his Letter to Atlanta (>>26736), his goal with the campaign was a simple one - bring War to the home of those southern landowners who brought it upon the USA. He burned their fields, he destroyed their houses, but he spared their lives, so they may live to understand that war isn't a game, that war isn't honorable, that War Is Hell.
Sherman's actions ended the Civil War, a conflict that resulted in the most deaths of any war the US had ever been before or since. Hundreds of thousands dead, Union and Confederate, because the Southerners wanted to continue the abhorrent tradition of slavery. And Sherman kicked their ass and dragged their delusional minds back to reality, with minimum civilian casualities to boot, and they've been butthurt ever since.
In conclusion, fuck off to /pol/, you dixie loons. Lost Cause isn't tolerated on an actual history board.
>>
The real problem is he's just some irrelevant yank, could have chosen someone globally important.
>>
>>25137
Fucking this. Herodotus is the perfect figure to use, his history tried to be as impartial as possible for the time and examined many different civilisations.
>>
File: 1442415203124.jpg (31 KB, 427x640) Image search: [Google]
1442415203124.jpg
31 KB, 427x640
I think we can all agree on this guy.
>>
On a similiar note, any ideas for banners?
>>
>>24705
>A poet, a philosopher, an archaeologist, a musician
How about a famous historian dumbass
>>
>>
>>27768
>>
>>27809
>>27808
>>
>>25774
>>25880
4chan has always been a racist shithole. I know you're to new to have known this, but it isn't going to change. I'm saying this as someone who isn't racist at all.

If you can't deal with NIGGER FAGGOT CUNT you really fuck off from this site
>>
>>27914
Using the word nigger or faggot because it's an ingrained part of 4chan culture doesn't make most of us genuine racists or homophobes.
>>
>>25882
>a bad guy
Is this really what /his/ has been reduced to already?
>>
File: victory.png (86 KB, 293x263) Image search: [Google]
victory.png
86 KB, 293x263
Fuck yeah.
>>
>>25137
Fixed.
>>27939
>>
>>24705

Great, now Herodotus, the Father of Lies is our mascot.

Nice job OP!
>>
>>27965
thank mr mod
>>
>>27975
Plutarch go home.
>>
>>27965
Fuck you desu Sherman being /his/ and Confederacy being /pol/ had great symbolism
>>
>>26045
Napoleon gets my vote.

He's a very neutral figure while one of the most significant figures in all of history.
>>
>>27975
It's quite fitting in a way. /his/ - history and 4chanities
>>
File: 1440997050743.jpg (19 KB, 235x296) Image search: [Google]
1440997050743.jpg
19 KB, 235x296
>>27965
>>
>>27965
Based

>>27914
Yes, but that's all it's taking for people to start screeching about /pol/ triggering them
>>
>>28052
Meant for >>27940
>>
>>27965
Based, thsnks
>>
>>25120
>but it's hard to think of a person that has influenced the whole world,
Literally Hitler, there is no other. Not even /pol/ but you cannot deny his overwhelming historical significance. There isn't a person on Earth who wouldn't recognise him.
>>
>>28162
Hitler basically filled a void that otherwise would have filled by someone exactly the same as him. He was the culmination of a trend, nothing more.

Plus i'm sure a lot of people outside of Europe and North America don't give two shits about him or know who he was.
>>
>>28162
>There isn't a person on Earth who wouldn't recognise him.
that is very doubtful
i can see him not being recognized in less developed parts of africa or asia (MAYBE even south america?)
>>
>>28011
>Napoleon
>neutral
So instead of southerners getting triggered we'll get bongs getting triggered, great idea.
>>
File: alexandros.jpg (108 KB, 513x700) Image search: [Google]
alexandros.jpg
108 KB, 513x700
>>25453
While I think Herodotus is a much better face for /his/ we're not going to be a bunch of retrospective limp-wristed peaceniks who bemoan every life and culture lost to conquest in antiquity are we?
>>
>>24705
As a Southern man, I don't give a fuck and neither should you. Stop being such a candyass and talk about history instead of your feelings.
>>
File: 1445838718376.jpg (16 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1445838718376.jpg
16 KB, 225x225
>>24705
>mfw southern tears changed the board face
>>
>>29964
Carpetbagger pls go
>>
>>29998
I've never lived above the Mason Dixon m8
>>
You southerners bitching about sherman are no better than all those other people that bitch about shit that never affected them. I dont hate you guys, far from it, but you guys need to stop getting offended any time you see something civil war related. I dont get butthurt when you guys constantly shit on the north on /pol/ so stop griping
>>
>>27965
I'm glad you liked my idea. Thanks based mod.
>>
File: 1443974804722.jpg (10 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1443974804722.jpg
10 KB, 184x184
>>24705
>Wanting to censor history because muh feelings
Since when did reddit have a say in how 4chan operates?
>>
>>27965
Based Mods
Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.