[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Language/Linguistics thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 225
Thread images: 32
File: geoff in poland.jpg (1 KB, 167x29) Image search: [Google]
geoff in poland.jpg
1 KB, 167x29
What are your favorite languages, and what parts of those languages make them your favorite? Also what is your most hated language?

Flemish I love because it sounds so fucking CUTE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXqF5XFqUuA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL8PGnfDXGk

Also Finnish and Icelandic for similar reasons. There are very few harsh sounds (with Flemish it's basically dutch without the hard gggggggg throat sound) and it sounds very pleasant even when people are angry.

Also I like the Mayan languages because the writing system gets so awesome, and it has pretty weird hard consonant clusters. Also the ɬ sound where you like use your cheeks, like like NahuaTL or TenochtiTLan:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1e/Nawatl.ogg

Last cute language is Gaelic, here's a good example of scottish gaelic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU7HbJtop2Q

Lastly, fuck German.
>>
>>17477
>the hard gggggggg throat sound
I fucking hate that sound.
>>
>>17477
German would be cool to use when you're pissed. Its all guttural and blunt. It's ugly as hell, but it's kinda like a dog that's so ugly it's cute.
>>
>>17507
yeah that's why i said flemish

actual dutch, and german and swiss german all have that sound and it's fucking retarded
>>
>>17600
true, i think rammstein kind of made me appreciate angry german more, but beyond that i can't stand it
>>
I actually really love german. My favoring of it probably comes from a german girl i knew years back, something about how she spoke it stuck with me.

As for hated languages, Danish and Finnish should honestly be banned, i refuse to believe either of them were meant to be spoken by humans.
>>
>>17629
Germans can't say squirrel. The English word squirrel, I mean. Look it up. They try to and it just fails it's really funny.
>>
>>17656
danish is just potatoes lmao

norwegian and swedish are infinitely superior

it takes the funnyness of finnish but amplifies it to a gorillion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-mOy8VUEBk

finnish i will say i wouldn't really want to learn it, estonian is a more pleasurable version of it, finnish is just too...archaic sounding

like almost proto indo european

speaking of which, basque is kinda like that too
>>
>>17730
yeah i saw videos of it, keks were had
>>
>>17753
You're not wrong, Finnish has more in common with Hungarian then the other Scandinavian languages.
>>
not history
>>
>>17763
It's so weird how they fuck it up. The word just melts in their mouth.
>>
File: startled sudaca.jpg (199 KB, 520x705) Image search: [Google]
startled sudaca.jpg
199 KB, 520x705
>>17792
its humanities you cretin

linguistic anthropology

also
>language history isn't history
>>
File: exaliftin.gif (681 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
exaliftin.gif
681 KB, 800x800
>>17831
tfw i can do all the R variants no problem
>>
>>17911
Even rolled Rs?
>>
File: norge.png (4 KB, 223x153) Image search: [Google]
norge.png
4 KB, 223x153
>>17911
i dare any of you to do the Bergen Skarre R:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuENhVFlyCc

here's a vocaroo:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1nLxDyFYQpk
>>
>>17979
you mean the spanish one?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0nTDvstRLgm
>>
>>17841
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanities
>>
>>18042
Pretty good anon. Nice dubs too btw.
>>
>>17730
Well, let me hear you saying Eichhörnchen, it works both ways.
>>
>>18068

Not the one you quoted, but: "The humanities include ancient and modern languages", taken from the second paragraph.

That being said, I like latin. Hella difficult to learn though, since everyone who spoke the classic version died way before people cared about recording pronunciation methods. I've been trying to learn classical latin, but most of the time I use ecclesiastical material to study.
>>
>>18231
>>18231
vocaroo it and ill try

>>18068
>Welcome to /his/ - History & Humanities
> This board is dedicated to the discussion of history and the other humanities such as philosophy, religion, law, classical artwork, archeology, anthropology, ancient languages,
>anthropology, ancient languages,
get fucked
>>
>>18231
yeah this has the chchchchc sound right?

how's this:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0pJppFN5qEV
>>
>>18586
Your ö could improve, but it was good nonetheless.

The speed was like 1/10 of a native's, but you actually won, anon.
>>
>>18690
oh i forgot to try on the ö

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1tXfxubwdeS

we did it lads :3
>>
>>18011

You fucking cunt, stop degrading your language with that disgusting Franco-Germano-Danish monstrosity.

OK, history of guttural "r":

1600s: Some French aristocrat can't roll their r's properly, so they roll it in their throat instead. This is widely considered a speech defect in languages that have yet to be corrupted.

For whatever reason, this person never gets over their speech defect, and they're popular enough that other people start copying them.

1700s:
The abomination has started to filter down to the French people en masse, but the traditional rolled r still remains widespread and accepted.

1800s:
Traditional rolled r reaches further into obscurity in France, guttural non-R spreads to hip urban populations in the rest of Europe because hip faggots like to copy whatever the French do. It gradually filters down to the general populations of Germany, Denmark, and Portugal from the upper classes to the urban population in general.

1900s:
In France, traditional r becomes relegated to old people and the most ass-backward peasants. Bavaria, Austria, and Switzerland keep the old ways alive, for the most part.

Funfact: Skarre "R" has no phonetic or articulatory features in common with the traditional European rolled r, and has become something identical to what is associated with a g in most languages that have it. For example, the Arabic name for Gaza starts with the same sound as French "r", and the "gh" in Maghreb is the same sound as well.

In conclusion: French, along with most dialects of Portuguese, German, Danish, and some dialects of Swedish and Norwegian, can no longer be said to possess a proper rhotic consonant.
>>
>>19283

Sources:

Some stuff I read in a grad-level historical linguistics class. First written record of guttural "r" in Europe is about French aristocratic women in the 1600s, and Moliere in one of his plays describes r as the traditional sound rolled with the tip of the tongue.

Wikipedia for the spread of r in the 19th century, although the historical ling class also had a study by a German in the late 19th century of the distribution of the sound and its spread - basically, people from rural areas adopted it only after moving to the big cities.

Also, the normative pronunciation for r in Quebec was the traditional rolled sound until the 1950s, and you can catch it in some Quebecois media up into the 70s/80s. Not the most common pronunciation by then, not by a longshot, but it would be almost unthinkable to hear it in a normal context like that in France of the same time.
>>
>>19283
>your language
im american dude

i started learning bergensk because a friend i played WoW with was from that area so he taught me some stuff, especially the skarre r

it's amazing since it pisses off everyone else in the entirety of scandinavia when they hear it, they immediately are humbled and shut the fuck up

amazing

2nd best dialect is nord norsk dialects tho:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAsrBTndlhM

u seem pretty triggered m8
>>
>>19403

And to clarify further, I mean that traditional r was probably the normative pronunciation in France until some time in the 1700s, I don't mean to imply that it fully penetrated the nobility within the 1600s.

Also, ask an actual linguist anything you want I guess, I acknowledge that this whole spiel has been a bit of autism, I just really fucking hate how half of Europe has ditched the cool traditional rolled r for this shit, even if there's no objective reason why it's bad.
>>
Pissing people off by speaking shit isn't really something to be proud of, my friend.

>u seem pretty triggered m8

Because Norwegian is a really cool language, and I want it to remain free of this Parisian corruption.
>>
I'm quite fond of Arabic outside of ع خ and غ
Also formatting a post with Arabic letters in English makes for some temperamental typing.
>>
Shit I know:
>English

Shit I want to know:
>Latin
>German
>Russian
>French
>Korean (Hangul is very appealing to my autism)
>Spanish

I want to start learning Russian first because ANUUU CHEEKI BREEKI, but what does /his/ think? I have a book on learning Latin that I've been meaning to do soon once school's over.

What does/his/ want to learn?
>>
>>19582
no such thing

norwegian is cool because it has so many dialects

get fucked

bergen pride worldwide
>>
>>19829
>>Korean (Hangul is very appealing to my autism)
this

it's like japanese without all the retarded extra writing systems
>>
>>19963

No such thing as what?

All the dialects are really cool, indeed, Bergen should just stop using the gay Dano-Parisian non-r.

>>19829

start with duolingo
>>
I like english, mainly because I speak it but also because you can use fuck in all it's fucking awesome as fuck glory.
>>
File: Germanic manners.jpg (45 KB, 960x469) Image search: [Google]
Germanic manners.jpg
45 KB, 960x469
>>19829
German is cool. I know it well. Once you enter Switzerland however, spoken German goes out the window for some kind of slang I can only describe as another language. It's fun
>>
>>19991
It doesn't sound as nice though, because it's closer to Chinese.
>>
>>20198
welp
>>
>>20114
get off your ivory tower m8

here in the real world people speak however the fuck they want
>>
>>20378

They do, but some of it sounds like anus.

Just stop spreading Bergenese into my precious Oslo, and I'll make my peace.
>>
>>20114
Thank you for the suggestion, I think my GF's dad is learning Italian with it

>>19991
Supposedly you can learn it in 10 minutes if you're a smart cookie, correct? I just wonder how easy it is to pick up spoken Korean and put Hangul to use.

>>20159
Is it much similar to other Germanic languages, like those of Sweden/Norway?
>>
File: Swiss death.jpg (20 KB, 448x424) Image search: [Google]
Swiss death.jpg
20 KB, 448x424
>>20457
It's German alright, but the location of Switzerland means that the people tend to absorb loan words from the closest European neighbor... or just use more ancient words. I can get what they are saying, but I feel like a first year German student back in high-school when they talk. Not somebody who can listen to news in Germany or Austria and absorb everything they are saying
>>
>>20457

You can learn any regular alphabet in an hour of practice. You need to use it regularly afterward in order to cement it into long-term memory, but really, if you don't know Greek, Cyrillic, or Georgian, for example, just do the following:

Find a table of the alphabet along with Latin transliterations.
Find a sample of text in a language that uses the alphabet.
Work on transcribing the text to Latin.

You start building up the connections really fast, and after an hour, you'll probably have 80-90% retention rate for a while. If you immediately move from this to language study, you'll never forget.
>>
>>20578

The thing about Switzerland is that they've kept their old dialects around in a much more healthy state. It's used throughout everyday life, and not just with family and friends like in a lot of Germany. Standard German exists in Switzerland mostly as a lingua franca, at least for most of the country.

And that means that more dialectal features are likely to infiltrate into Swiss Standard German. It also has more archaic features than Germany Standard German - some words, traditional pronunciations of ä and r, a few other things IIRC.
>>
>>20615
That's a good idea, I might do it with Cyrillic now.

>>20578
Forgive me, I meant High German. Low German sounds like fun too though.

I just downloaded Duolinguo and it's great fun, but should I stop after a certain amount in a day? Will I reach saturation point after which I'll stop learning/start forgetting?
>>
>>21247

Where does Low German fit into any of this?

It's just from the northern third of Germany, and IIRC mostly dead by now.
>>
>>21458
Oh? My mistake, I though that Swiss German WAS Low German.
>>
>loving Germanic languages

you can feel that you're all anglos baka desu sempai
>>
>>21627
Anglo's are kekolds desu
>>
>>21627
>speaking english
>>
>>18231
It works inside germany as well. Let's hear you say Oachkatzlschwoaf.
>>
>>17477
>Flemish I love
So I'm not the only one
>>
File: 1444630617125.jpg (714 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1444630617125.jpg
714 KB, 1200x1200
>Top tier
Japanese, Slavic languages, Gaelic languages

>Shit tier
Spanish, German, Mandarin, Austroasiatic languages, Somali
>>
>>21247
>I might do it with Cyrillic now
Careful with these o, ó and ё
>>
>being this polarized about languages
seems like the shitpost never ends
>>
>>19991
>it's like japanese without all the retarded extra writing systems
but kanji is awesome
>it makes reading much easier
>you don't have to put spaces between words
desu with how english sentences work, the logographic system could work with it just as well
>>
>>21954

you don't have those in cyrillic
>>
File: asr.jpg (142 KB, 1200x1800) Image search: [Google]
asr.jpg
142 KB, 1200x1800
daily reminder

Godly tier languages :

Portuguese
Italian
French
Spanish

Schismatic tier :

Greek
Russian

Barking tier :

Dutch
Finnish
Swedish
Danish
German
>>
Finns are best at rolling R's. Prove me wrong.
>>
File: 1441844631627.png (116 KB, 228x260) Image search: [Google]
1441844631627.png
116 KB, 228x260
>mfw he can't hear the tones in a tonal language
>>
File: 1431727419407.png (212 KB, 353x399) Image search: [Google]
1431727419407.png
212 KB, 353x399
>>21895

>Top tier: irrelevant languages

>Shit tier: Increasingly relevant languages
>>
>>24452
>weebs
>>
File: 1440432814086.jpg (3 KB, 123x125) Image search: [Google]
1440432814086.jpg
3 KB, 123x125
Polish language is awesome but hella hard. I'm glad I know it but fucking polish people abroad make me wish I wasn't one of them.
Also
>W Szczebrzeszynie chrząszcz brzmi w trzcinie.
>Panie chrząszczu po cóż pan tak brzęczy w gąszczu.
Kurwa.
>>
File: 144093063477.jpg (9 KB, 240x200) Image search: [Google]
144093063477.jpg
9 KB, 240x200
>>24781
>Szczebrzeszynie
>chrząszczu

coming from a frenchie
>>
>>24781
Was an adequate supply of vocals just too expensive? Could they only afford tons of the letters other languages were reluctant to use?
>>
>>24819
>>24838

c c v c c v c v c v
c c v c c v
i am positive there are french words which follow similar patterns and numbers of consonants and vowels.
>>
>>24139
I like vietnamese tones with how a "tone" is actually a set of properties like length, pitch and different glottal states
too bad vietnamese writing is so shit tier
>>
>>24819
>a frenchie
In french it would be like
>V ch'tchebjeCHIgné hshonch'tch bjmi VTJCIgné
>>
>>24965
yeah but it's still ugly and makes no sense. we may have the same sounds but we don't use it the same way
>>
>>24838
divided into actual phonemes:
W Sz-cz-e-b-rz-e-sz-y-ni-e ch-rz-ą-sz-cz b-rz-m-i w t-rz-c-i-ni-e.
we just have a lot of digraphs, influenced by german and hungarian
and It didn't change much since the first consistent orthographies in XVI century
>>
>>24884
we have syllables with 4 consonants like "wstrząs"
and 1-letter words like z, w, that attach to the following word
>>
>>24781
>>24819
Not really that hard to pronounce, the orthography is just unnecessarily convoluted.

Szche burz eshoo nyee

chruzjam shch
>>
>>25463
>the orthography is just unnecessarily convoluted
bad meme
>>
>>24838
Polish would, from a purely linguistic viewpoint, make more sense to be written in Cyrillic: so many words would be substantially shorter, with.various combinations of two or four characters, in Latin, being replaced by a single Cyrillic letter. But the great schism, and all that...
>>
Mind you, Romanian, a Latin language, used to be written in Cyrillic, despite not being really suited to it (and this was later revived, in a different system, in Soviet Bessarabia/Moldova). But, Orthodoxy notwithstanding, they switched to Latin. Maybe the Poles should swallow their pride and go the other way...
>>
>>22387
I know, I meant to say the accentuations.
>>
>>25897
This desu
>>
>>20198
It's not even in the same language family as Chinese (or Japanese for that matter), so no, it's not "closer". I really dislike Hangul btw, it looks like stacks of car brand logos to me.
>>
>>19829
Mother tongue is Swedish, also fluent in English obviously. Working on my Spanish and Japanese for now. After that I don't know, leaning towards Icelandic, but Portuguese or Farsi or Sanskrit (maybe Hindi-Urdu instead) would be awesome as well.

Used to study Arabic, Russian and French but quit. Arabic was fun though, but too hard for what I got out of it.

>>19675
I think the Ayin and Ghayn sounds are cool. I don't like the Khaa sound in pretty much any language though, it's so... hostile.
>>
File: 1411825396090.png (14 KB, 530x444) Image search: [Google]
1411825396090.png
14 KB, 530x444
>>24781
>>25053
I took up learning how to write Polish a week ago. 25 years of speaking Polish but never writing it. Do you know how many words I have been mispronouncing over the years? Or simply look at the word as say... "Wait.. what the fuck, this is how it's pronounced?"

This is going to be a interesting challenge.
>>
File: 8409498346_d3a4be9d85_z.jpg (231 KB, 640x278) Image search: [Google]
8409498346_d3a4be9d85_z.jpg
231 KB, 640x278
I speak Upper Carniolan, Slovene, English and some German.

My favorite is Upper Carniolan
>>
>>19488
>tfw French
>tfw I can't roll 'r's properly.
>>
>>17477
>>>/int/
no seriously
>>
Hey can we upload .pdfs on /his/?
>>
>>27257
People usually shout mods when people post pedofiles :^)

I don't know, I don't think so, senpai.
>>
>>27257
no
>>
>>19829
What I speak :
French
Hungarian
English

What I am learning :
Mandarin Chinese
Spanish
Russian

What I want to learn :
Portuguese
Greek
Japanese
>>
Khoisan and other clicking languages are really cool.
I'm so fascinated by how they can make all those noises and talking "normally" at the same time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6WO5XabD-s
>>
>>27327
>>27270
Too bad, I got some fun books I can share.
I'll just post them /tg/'s PDF thread and link the posts to here. Anyway I got some Early Latin Grammar, Umro-Oscan Grammar, Old English and Saxon Linguistics and the famous "How we'd speak if we'd won 1066". Anyone interested?
>>26774
Kuga s m glih kr reku, kurba mjhna? Jest t puvem, de sm zvežban guzdar pa de sm biu že doskat zravn, k sej kramper pubirou; saj 300 gajb ga mam že nabranga. Drva znam cept z eno roko, traktor uhka pa u miže furam. Tuko tem žvajznu, de teu du Buhina pa nazaj udnesv, vrjem m. K to pišem, že brusm skiro pa vežem štrk. Mrtu s ti, toja držina, us toj prjatl, pa še ceu toj rod za sto generacij nazaj. Ščijem po grobovh tojga roda, ongavm t use babe u držin pa use drva tim ud bajte udnesu. Ti nis nč u primerjau z mano. Upam, de vm vs prdelk preč pride, pa usa žvina vm crkne. Vem ke žviš pa vem, ke mate kluče ud bajte skrite. Merkej se, zj zj bom pršu. Frderbou tem preh, kokr uhka Očenš zmolš.
>>
>>27626
TRST JE NAS
>>
>>27626
>my pasta finally getting spread around

GURENSKA
U
R
E
N
S
K
A
>>
>>24781
That's Welsh-tier. Holy fuck.
>>
>>27691
LOHATC
O
H
A
T
C
>>27654
PIC REALTED
>>
>>27654
>>27748
/slo/ on /his/ when?
>>
>>27792
Shit, scrap that. /slohis/ when?
>>
>>27792
>>27814
It already exists, it's called /gsg/.
>>
Russian course on Duolingo is finally going to beta. Should I give it a try?
>>
File: 1441992695618.jpg (136 KB, 600x725) Image search: [Google]
1441992695618.jpg
136 KB, 600x725
>>27829
Kek, you know it.
>>
>>27814
>>27792
>>27829
/gsg/ was only the start. After /17/ fell down (RIP Primorski fašisti ;_;7) the Slovenes have been trekking all around the chons searching for a new home.
>>
>>26662
If you're an american heritagefag then chances ae you can't pronounce your last name
>>
>>17477
I have a raging hard-on for Frisian. Fucking interesting language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRXoCixqyk8

Like a mix between German, Dutch and English. the history is pretty fucking cool as well. Would of been interesting if the Frisians exerted proper influence against the Dutch lords and carved out their own lands.
>>
>>27980
This may be of interest to you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeC1yAaWG34
>>
>>27980
>Frisian
Always reminded of this desu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeC1yAaWG34
Also yes it's a very interesting language, too bad there arent many speakers.
>>
>>28000
>>28009
Brünekuh mind
>>
>>28009
Beat you with trips desu
>>
>>22615
>french
I came here to laugh at you.
>>
File: 1439803186252.jpg (15 KB, 274x248) Image search: [Google]
1439803186252.jpg
15 KB, 274x248
>mfw Chomsky is still considered the god of linguistics in my shithole
>>
File: 1437010830940.png (284 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
1437010830940.png
284 KB, 450x450
>>27898
Canadian
>>
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but what languages do you think will increase in relevance in the future? There are some languages I have an interest in learning, like Russian, but I feel like they will be a waste to learn. Similarly, one of the reasons I am reluctant to learn Mandarin is because everybody says it will lose relevance.

>>27626
>How we'd speak if we'd won 1066
>Old English and Saxon Linguistics

That sounds pretty interesting.
>>
File: 1311947803699.jpg (20 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1311947803699.jpg
20 KB, 400x400
>>28000
>>28009
thanks guys. Honestly, most old germanic languages are pretty cool too desu. Old English flows off the tongue really well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVyXDYp60BE

Can't remember where it is, but I found some video a while back with a woman speaking out a couple Old English poems. Fucking hypnotic, would make for good ASMR.
>>
>>28225
>>>/tg/43405545
>>
>>28225
I've heard that French will only increase in relevance, mostly due to African nations rising in influence. Solid choice if you're from the UK too. Spanish is also a decent bet, but apart from the major languages already, couldn't predict much else.
>>
>>28196
name?
>>
>>28351
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4PApz8Cde8
>>
>>28225
Hindi-Urdu will become more and more relevant I think, considering the developments in India as well as the massive Indian diaspora abroad. Arabic is increasing through Europe and intelligence circles what with the refugee crisis and terrorism, but Arabic is not one language, but a conglomeration of dialects, so be careful with that. I wouldn't worry about Mandarin losing importace. The "China will collapse any minute now!" meme is just a meme, modern China is a scary unorthodox powerhouse of development and won't stagnate in many decades to come. Also tons of Chinese everywhere, as well as Africa turning into a Chinese colony.

Spanish I don't see evolving much more, aside from in the US. It is a popular second or third language in the West though. German is a good business language in Europe, also Namibia.

>>28315
Dunno about French, the French speaking countries in Africa are also some of the worst countries, aside from Gabon The fastest developing African countries speak English, see Namibia, Botswana, Ghana, Nigeria. Perhaps they'll speak Chinese too soon.
>>
File: stop it.jpg (78 KB, 340x314) Image search: [Google]
stop it.jpg
78 KB, 340x314
>>24452
>increasingly relevant languages
>somali
>>
>>28659
It is if you're Swedish.
>>
What are the arguments for inclusion of an injunctive mood in PIE? Does it have reflexes in any non-IR languages?
>>
I'm pretty thankful that Serbo-Croatian has both Latin and Cyrillic as writing systems. There's just something about "Write as you speak and read as it is written." that appeals to me.

Plus, it makes it easier to appeal to foreigners, as you could just easily switch from Cyrillic to Latin and back.
>>
>>28793
Yeah. Cyrillic is pig-fucking ugly. Makes Slavic a little more appealing.
>>
>>28793
Speaking as an actual Serb here, the "write as you speak and read as you write" principle does jackshit to help foreigners because the language has one of the most complex stress systems among European languages and a very complex set of sound change rules, a lot of which are allophonemic and thus not encoded in writing. Due to yar deletion the language is a lot more vowel-poor than other Slavic languages, too, which complicates pronunciation.

It does make Cyrillic very easy to learn, however.
>>
>>17477
>Favourite languages and what makes them my favourites

Spanish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpT0L-hubt4
Russian https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klj0cz4WHSg
Nahuatl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWipqUVVLvk
Mayan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2fHlFTE9GI
Icelandic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsptLTk0h4U
Japanese https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zssLonhzwE
Swedish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hr9N6UQGaQ
Taiwanese Hokkien https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoUWCZsvYMI

All of them sounds so fine/cute to my ears (I can't help it: if I like a sound, I'll want to know more about it), and I'm interested in learning the grammar.

>Most hated language
English (not really hated, but because I feel I'm being forced to learn it because is the lingua franca, I can't develop good feelings for it).
>>
>>28893
as a slav, I can confirm that when it comes to vowels and consonants themself sound awfully primitive
>>
>>29222
*when you compare the native slavic words
>>
>>28893
>vowel-poor

Kuga s m glih kr reku, ti kurba mjhna? Jest t puvem, de sm zvežban holcar pa de sm biu že doskat zravn, k sej kramper pubirou; saj 300 gajb ga mam že nabranga. Drva znam cept z eno roko, traktor uhka pa u miže furam. Tuko tem žvajznu, de teu du Buhina pa nazaj udnesv, vrjem m. K to pišem, že brusm skiro pa vežem štrk. Mrtu s ti, toja držina, us toj prjatl, pa še ceu toj rod za sto generacij nazaj. Ščijem po grobovh tojga roda, ongavm t use babe u držin pa use drva tim ud bajte udnesu. Ti nis nč u primerjau z mano. Upam, de vm vs prdelk preč pride, pa usa žvina crkne. Vem ke žviš pa vem, ke mate kluče ud bajte skrite. Merkej se, zj zj bom pršu. Frderbou tem preh, kokr uhka Očenš zmolš.
>>
>>29344
>kajkavian
lmao
>>
I like Japanese a lot more than other languages without consonant clusters, maybe because Japanese phonology is so damn selective that the phonemes don't sound as arbitrary as, say, Swahili.
>>
>>29436
Upper Carniolan actually senpai.
>>
>>29071
Why do the icelandic children sound like old people?
>>
>>28893

I have to admit; I am a native Serb and I have issues with the language from time to time. Even after living in the country for so many years.

That reminds me. I have a book that has a few pages dedicated to how foreign languages are transcribed to Serbian (ex. German Nietzsche -> Niče). While I don't have the book with me right now, when I do get it, I'll post the means of transcription in the thread.
>>
>>29512
>issues with the language
such as?
>>
>>29727

I honestly don't know how to explain the issues I have. The severe lack of social interaction with other Serbs, as well as my forgetfulness, has made it difficult to learn some of the more precise rules of the language, as well as some words (in which case, I just end up transliterating the English equivalent). The most embarrassing is that I can't really tell the difference between Ć and Č, same goes for Đ and Dž.

Nikada mi nije išao Srpski u školi inače. Ali ljudi su mi rekli da sam dobro savladao jezik iako imam neke probleme sa njim.
>>
>>30562
>there is a difference between đ and dž

In Slovene, dž is the way to write đ, because we don't have that letter.
>>
>>30562
holy shit I though you would tell me some advanced linguistic autism
but it turns out you forgot the language
at least browse /ex-yu/ lol
>>
>>30562
ako ne znaš ć/č da razlikuješ mogao bi da prođeš za krajišnika dbi
>>
>>29509
Is that so? They sounds like a mix of German, Dutch and Swedish to me.
>>
>>30671
Kek, this right here.

>>30683
Ć sounds like you're lisping desu
>>
Tangut for being so goddamn pretty, but I'll probably never learn it because their civilization barely lasted a century. Cuneiform is interesting, but picking one of the (I think) mutually unintelligible varieties will be tough. Don't have time right now, but maybe one day.

I'm loving the Chinese logograms. I'd probably learn Korean hanja before I'd learn the ugly walls of phonetics that is hangul.
>>
malagasy is a favourite of mine due to its tense modification. learning latin currenty; declension is trippin' me out.
>>
>>19829
>You discuss things with monolingual retards.
I feel disgraced...
>>
>>17477
czech sounds good for a slav lang

italian is literally using all the best sounds

cant make up my mind about portuguese, sometimes it sounds like Ivan is trying to speak spanish and sometimes it sounds nice
>>
>>31240
>czech sounds good for a slav lang
No, Czech sounds funny.
>>
Norwegian because it sounds so funny
Bosnian because I don't even know
English because it has better words to express your feelings than fucking Dutch
>>
>>28659
>>24452
>>21895
>Somali

every time
>>
>>31351
I remember that thread.
>>
I want to study lingustics. Is there any sort of career in it?
>>
>>31522
As a teacher and nothing else.
>>
>>31522
Except in research?

No, not really. It can help you become a teacher, editor, translator, or (freelance) journalist though, but you've got to be talented and passionate for these kind of jobs.
>>
>>29344
ta vlka vokalna redukcja, pobč
>>
>>31922
žvčk
Tržč

krh
rt
>>
>>19283
>the Arabic name for Gaza starts with the same sound as French "r", and the "gh" in Maghreb is the same sound as well.
Not exactly. The Arabic "gh" is velar and the French "r" is uvelar.
>>
>>25897
Actually Cyrillic was really suited to Romanian. t. Romanian here
>>
>>32307
>look it up
>it uses early cyrillic characters
>slavic words for letter names
neat
>>
>>33616
Old Romanian was actually a lot more Slavic in nature. Only after a reform did it become the way it is today. That's when most town names changed as well.
>>
>>33771
do you have any articles on that?
>>
>>31284
>t. Pole

I'm probably biased since I'm a native speaker, but I genuinely think Czech is the best language around. I do like many other languages, though. Russian is like gentler Czech and I love the way they stress their words. Hebrew is surprisingly beautiful. Japanese has its charm, too, and lately I've discovered my love for Magyar.
>>
>>33824
Sorry, it's something I read about a while ago.
Here's some sort of proof, though (if you don't believe me): http://www.learnromanian.ro/english/Romanian-language-history.php

Not much, but it's what I found in two minutes of searching.
>>
Any linguistic majors here? What could I do with my degree? I'm just 2 years away from graduating

Also I don't live in Europe and in America
>>
>>33958
Me. I don't know about you, but I'm planning to become a translator. I'm studying a double major (English and Spanish linguistics) + I'm fluent in three more languages if you don't count my native language, so I don't think I'll have issues getting a job. Plus, I love, love, love reading/writing, which means it'll be a dream come true.
>>
>>33902
>sz, cz, ż being the same as ś, ć, ź
>the language being squished version of polish in a way
>>
>>34154
>having cz, sz etc. in the first place
That system is an eye-sore, I'm glad it's gone.
>the language being squished version of polish in a way
How?
>>
>>31425
>>31351
good times and great beef cattle
it no longer works though
>>
>>34454
I remember something a friend showed me where you looked up a synonym for stealing in Serbian on Google Translate and the results came out as "a good deal". Google Translate has some secrets, for sure.
>>
>>34630
That probably comes from English idiomatic "a steal".
>>
>>34758
Oh shit, you're right. And that takes a lot of fun out of it...
>>
File: devanagari-tai-burmese-khmer.png (293 KB, 1600x698) Image search: [Google]
devanagari-tai-burmese-khmer.png
293 KB, 1600x698
Which ayy lmao language has the best script?
>>
>>17477
1. Greenlandic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTQetvF70wU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0MvC2CtnQQ
>Inuit tamarmik inunngorput nammineersinnaassuseqarlutik assigiimmillu ataqqinassuseqarlutillu pisinnaatitaaffeqarlutik. Silaqassusermik tarnillu nalunngissusianik pilersugaapput, imminnullu iliorfigeqatigiittariaqaraluarput qatanngutigiittut peqatigiinnerup anersaavani.
http://www.omniglot.com/soundfiles/udhr/udhr_kl.mp3
>polysynthetic
>seems very rhythmic, which makes even the longest words easy to read
>ʁ, q, qː, mː, nː, ŋ, ŋː, ɬ, sː

2. Icelandic, Faroese
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKoYs32JWfA
Hver maður er borinn frjáls og jafn öðrum að virðingu og réttindum. Menn eru gæddir vitsmunum og samvisku, og ber þeim að breyta bróðurlega hverjum við annan.
http://www.omniglot.com/soundfiles/udhr/udhr_is.mp3
>Oll menniskju eru fodd fræls og jovn til virðingar og mannarættindi. Tey hava skil og samvitsku og eiga at fara hvort um annað í bróðuranda.
http://www.omniglot.com/soundfiles/udhr/udhr_faroese.mp3
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/Eyjafjallaj%C3%B6kull-bjarmason.ogg
Mostly because of the music, I guess (Týr, Sólstafir, Skálmöld, Hamferð, Eivor Pálsdóttir).
>sounds truly nordic
>θ, ð, tl/dl, rolled r and a shitload of different vowels

3. Czech, for its unique r̝ phoneme and syllabic r and l.
Všichni lidé se rodí svobodní a sobě rovní co do důstojnosti a práv. Jsou nadáni rozumem a svědomím a mají spolu jednat v duchu bratrství.
http://www.omniglot.com/soundfiles/udhr/udhr_cz.mp3
>>
>>35019
1. Mkhedruli
2. Devanagari
3. Futhark
>>
The Klallam word for Friday is ɬq̕čšɬnát, without any epenthetic consonants
Basically the word starts with 5 consonants, none of which form a syllable
>>
File: 320px-Hindi.svg[1].png (6 KB, 320x177) Image search: [Google]
320px-Hindi.svg[1].png
6 KB, 320x177
Hindi
>>
>>17600
I have Russian as my angry voice in case I ned to intimidate someone. I also love th French thug voice. German... yes, it can sound angry, bt the best German angry voices have a lot of serenity in them.
>>
>>33902
t. Pole here and Czech sound is top-tier. I like your taste in languages in general.
See >>35037

>>34309
I guess his view on Czech comes from our "lekcja czeskiego" memes.
>chwilowo nieobecny – momentalně nepritomny
>wiewiórka – drevný kocur
>rozkład jazdy – odchody autobusov
>terminator – elekroničký mordulec
etc.
>>
File: 1444624105106.gif (3 MB, 280x358) Image search: [Google]
1444624105106.gif
3 MB, 280x358
gais
where's the best place to learn the international phonetic alphabet?
>>
>>35479
Well, hey just have one more reason to hate Fridays. Nothing special.
>>
File: 1444876753274.gif (499 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1444876753274.gif
499 KB, 400x300
Anyone have good resources for the following languages?

>Tibetan
>Nepali
>Dzongkha

I'm really interested in Himalayan history and culture, but most resources for it are in need of translation. If anyone could help a brother out, that'd be nice.
>>
>>20450
>OSLO NORSK

LITERALLY WORST DIALECT

GET

FUCKED

all your opinions are now invalidated
>>
>>24139
English is a tonal language too though
>>
>>35607
Its just an alphabet
http://www.internationalphoneticalphabet.org/ipa-sounds/ipa-chart-with-sounds/
The words tell you how to move your tongue or where to touch it to the roof of your mouth, and how to use the air to make the sound, so if you don't know what the words are, look them up, though most are pretty self-explanatory.
After you've gone over them all, flashcards. same as anything else.
>>
>>35932
Yes, but only in the sense of feeling or emphasis.
>>
>>35607
just take look at what sounds are in your native language and then learn more
>>
File: austronesians.jpg (119 KB, 898x393) Image search: [Google]
austronesians.jpg
119 KB, 898x393
anyone speak or interested in austronesian languages?
Samoan is my favourite, i'll probably just learn bahasa indonesia/malay though
>>
File: 1429220889004.jpg (8 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1429220889004.jpg
8 KB, 200x200
>>35967
Klos enuf
>>
Russian's the only one I really looked into of my own volition.
Wouldn't have minded Spanish replacing either French or German in my old school though.
>>
File: Norn.png (106 KB, 901x946) Image search: [Google]
Norn.png
106 KB, 901x946
Who /norn/ here?
>>
Most of the posts here are about languages, but what are your opinions on dialects?

To be honest, I feel like most of the English "dialects" should really be called accents.
>>
>>38226
polish anon here
48mln nation,yet everyone speaks the same with some word differences
except the Kashubian and Silesian which are sometimes considered languages but to me silesian is german-czech-polish pidgin
>>
>>38320
Kek, you should hear Slovene dialects, then. On one side of the country, they're mixed with Italian, on the other with German and they're all very different from one another.
>>
>>35704
Try the "parlons" series from L'harmattan if you're francophone.
Parlons Tibétain, Parlons Nepali, Parlons Dzongkha. They have the 3 of them. Plus there is a nice cultural overview in each book.
>>
>>37172
>spurði ráð(a)
Proof that finns are nordic desu.
>>
>>31522

>I want to study lingustics. Is there any sort of career in it?

Academics.
Speech therapist.
Accent coach.
Forensic linguistics (mostly dealing with phonetics, increasingly syntax as well, not a particularly large industry but possible to get into if you aren't dumb).

>>32273

>Not exactly. The Arabic "gh" is velar and the French "r" is uvelar.

Varies based on dialect. IIRC the more common variant is uvular.
>>
>>40524
"ð" is not "d" senpai.
>>
File: 1442504639624.png (391 KB, 1082x2157) Image search: [Google]
1442504639624.png
391 KB, 1082x2157
Fluent in
>German
>English

Somewhat proficient
>French
>Japanese

Want to learn
>Hebrew
>Spanish
>Italian
>>
>>20578
Do you mean stuff like der Erdapfel instead of die Kartoffel?
>>
>>42352
>earth apple
That's genius.
>>
I am using this website to learn basic Russian.
http://learnrussian.rt.com/lessons/

Its pretty simple but each word havin 20 different endings depending on its usage gets tedious to remember.
>>
>>42548
That's Slavic languages for you.
>>
>>41369
I'm living in Germany and in the process of learning German but I don't know any Germans to ask for help or communicate with. Help me D:
>>
>>43770
No.
>>
>>40859
>IIRC the more common variant is uvular.
Actually velar is more common senpai
>>
File: 1437189005661.jpg (59 KB, 609x607) Image search: [Google]
1437189005661.jpg
59 KB, 609x607
>>42548
>>24781
>That's Slavic languages for ya.
And that's not even an exaggeration. I'm so glad I don't have to learn it as a 2nd language. Also them slav genetics baby.
Inb4 pics of bald untermensch gopniks.
>>
>>44131

The thing is i listen to my tutor speak and she doesnt even use proper endings but she scolds me when my e sounds too much like э
>>
>>43770
>communicate with
You're on the internet. You don't need to ask. Actually, you're in Germany.
I wonder where you could find someone who speaks in German, that sounds kind of hard.
>>
>>44223
Kek, every non-Slav I hear has trouble with literary language, but most of our languages also have dialects which often sound nothing like the written form. In my dialect, we leave out many vowels in words and also add in a bunch of German words so even our own countrymen have trouble understanding.
>>
>>43770
Literally just go down to a pub and order some beer. Fuck, I've managed to do this in Japan where everyone is supposedly introvert and scared to talk to foreigners, I'm sure you can do it in fucking Germany.
>>
File: 1344423800150.png (402 KB, 545x467) Image search: [Google]
1344423800150.png
402 KB, 545x467
>>44410
>go for a drink in Germany
>"H-Hallo, ich..."
>"Pričaj po naše, čovjek."

Actually happened to a couple of friends of mine.
>>
Sheiß sie auch, pollackhunde
>>
>>44474
Kek could really picture that
Since some anon posted his:
Fluent in:
>Portuguese
>English
>German
>Spanish
Somewhat proficient
>French
Wanted to learn Latin before I figured I'm not Catholic. For now, nothing else concrete in mind.
Learning
>Japanese
Just finished the kanas. Now this is where the fun begins.
I actually think I'll get into STEM, but I really do think I'm good at languages and stuff like linguistics fascinates me. It's just a shame that native language subjects (also English in later years) with a focus on book analysis disencouraged me ;-;
>>
>>44283
>>44410
>Germans
>speaking with strangers
I doubt you've been to Germany but whenever Germans ever hear an Anglo accent they automatically switch to English no matter how good your German is.
>>
>>44952
I've been in Germany for like half an hour in an highway once! But yeah, I haven't spoke to anyone
>>
Dunno, but I know what's the worse language.
And It's Dutch, or Danish.
>>
>>45264
>Dutch
I agree, as do many others.
>>
>>44952
I have been to Germany, but I guess it depends where you go. You're probably right when it comes to large cities, but in towns and the countryside their English usually isn't that great either so most conversations just kind switch languages whenever one party doesn't manage to convey something in the language they aren't great in.
>>
>>44952
Definitely not true in deep rural Bavaria, I can say that from experience....
>>
>>45550
>Bavaria
>German
kek, there you go
>>
What is the worst language and why is it Welsh?
>>
>>44352
>In my dialect
Which dialect would that be ?
>>
>>33902
>>35604
>t. Pole
>t.
What is this t. supposed to mean ? I've seen this a lot lately.
>>
how 2 learn french
>>
>>47122
regards
>>
>>47218
Just surrender.
XD
>>
>>17656
>>17753
>>22615

>Plebs talking shit about Glorious Finngolian

Perkele
>>
>>47479
Fingallian >>> Finngolian tee bee aych
>>
>>47297
pls
>>
>>35019
I would say the Bhutanese or Tibetan scripts.
Looks like Daedric writing from the elder scrolls to me
Thread replies: 225
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.