[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we think without language?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: About-thinking-styles.jpg (104 KB, 510x339) Image search: [Google]
About-thinking-styles.jpg
104 KB, 510x339
Can we think without language?
>>
File: 1433053279026.gif (3 MB, 658x800) Image search: [Google]
1433053279026.gif
3 MB, 658x800
>>15344
What the fuck you think mute people do dumbass?
>>
Yes. Please, leave.
>>
>>15344
Without language there's no you.
>>
>>15344
You can, but I have heard you will be mentally stunted as a result.
>>
>>15344
Can you conceive of something that you cannot think of how to describe in words?
>>
why is this on /his/

technically you can but even if you do not know a spoken language your brain will still piece together different things in some form of syntax meaning it will still see a dog and recognize it as a dog even if you dont have a word for it.
>>
>>15391
(not op, but...)
a) Mute people can still hear sound and think in sound.
b) They can also think in written language and even sign language if they know it. Language isn't just verbal
>>
>>15474
You would imagine the pure actions/feelings/etc I guess.
>>
>>15344
Of course. It's how animals and babies do it.
Thinking in abstract concepts afforded by language is one of the advantages of our brains versus other animals.
Thoughts otherwise would I assume just be feelings and blurred ideas of things.
>>
>>15391
Think in sign language, duh.

Honestly though, I'd wager language is essential to sentience as we understand it. It essentially functions as the link between the objective world and the world we experience.
>>
>>15344
Yes, an example that frequently happens to me is music popping into my head despite not listening to music.
>>
This question belongs in /sci/
This is a humanities board we ask shit like "is eurocentristic education the cause of daily microagressions between privileged white people and POC?"
>>
>>15476
>why is this on /his/

>This board is dedicated to the discussion of history and the other humanities such as philosophy, religion, law, classical artwork, archeology, anthropology, ancient languages, etc.

You illiterate cunt
>>
>>15927
I don't see "biology" or "neuroscience" on there. This is hard fucking science not humanities.
>>
>>15927
you retarded son?
>>
>>15927
This is literally neurology.
It belongs in /sci/,philosophy and anthropology students dont even know the basis of neuro anatomy let alone how thoughts work.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.