[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was June 22, 1941 the bloodiest day in human history?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: main_1200.jpg (110 KB, 1200x763) Image search: [Google]
main_1200.jpg
110 KB, 1200x763
Was June 22, 1941 the bloodiest day in human history?
>>
I believe the battle of the somme was, so July 1st there was the Brusilov and battle of the Somme going on so around 200,000 deaths in one day alone
>>
>>1428496
There were some low tens of thousands killed on the first day of Somme.

That would require for over 150k thousand dead during one day of the Brusilov offensive alone.

As in roughly a sixth of all casualties (not just dead) during the three-months long offensive.

I doubt that happened.
>>
June 22 saw some crazy losses of grounded Soviet aircraft on the airfields when they were hit by Luftwaffe. I forgot how many thousands of aicraft were destroyed.
>>
>>1428477
Its a contender, but there are no accurate figures for how many died on the first day. Cannae and Borodino both exceed 60000 dead in one day and thats pretty hard to beat
>>
>>1428607
Aircraft aren't people anon
>>
File: 1465301787606.png (14 KB, 747x1393) Image search: [Google]
1465301787606.png
14 KB, 747x1393
>>1428620
This
>>
>>1428477

Probably not. If only because the enormous losses happened in WW2 when lines collapse, forces get pocketed and those pockets get overrun, and the Soviet defenses held up for a few days at first.

I don't know offhand, and I don't have the interest to go researching into the real nitty-gritty about the opening moves in Barbarossa, but I would guess the bulk of the casualties were somewhere like June 24th-27th, not the first day.
>>
>>1428477
Gonna go with the Tokyo firebombing in early 45, pretty sure there were a bit under a million casualties
>>
>>1429018
>the German invasion of France ended on my birthday in 1940
>the German invasion of the Soviet Union started on my birthday in 1941
JUST
>>
>>1428985

Everyone, point and laugh at the retard!

>I don't know
>I'm too lazy to look it up
>But here's what I think anyway!
>>
>>1428620
Kursk.
>>
>>1429034
>my birthday is august 9th
>my grandpa birthday was also august 9th
he was 10 when the bomb was drop
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.