[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did the french stop being called franks?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: FRENCH.jpg (19 KB, 260x190) Image search: [Google]
FRENCH.jpg
19 KB, 260x190
When did the french stop being called franks?
>>
the nobility looked at Germany then looked at Italy and decided at some point they wanted to be more latin sounding
>>
Probably aroound this time:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolingian_Empire
>>
>>1414443
Really? That early

I honestly imagined it went on well into the high middle ages
>>
>>1414455
Oh I don't know, probably even into the modern times, they are referred to as "Frankish" in most languages I bet.
>>
>>1414432
Philippe II "Augustus" of France was the first dude who decided to stop calling himself "King of the Franks" and instead "King of France". It proved that by that point :
A) People understood that they were well past the mere "frankish" tradition, and instead created a new system, really merged with other roots
B) The King became much more powerful in France, and not just a mere figurehead while petty lords squabble with each other
>>
>>1414443
>>1414455
>>1414464
Actually, after the Frankish Empire disolved, the Western part (French) kept being refered to as Franks while the Eastern one started to call themselves Germans
During the Crusades, long after the fall of the Frankish Empire, frogs were stil refered too as Franks
Since the majority of crusaders were French, muslims even generalized the term to all Europeans and refered to Europe as "Frankistan"
>>
>>1414485
I nominate that we revive calling Europe Frankistan.
>>
>>1414736
Go tell /int/, I'm sure they'll be all over it.
>>
>>1414432
>When did the french stop being called franks?
When they instead started calling themselves (in Latin, hard c) Franciscus, which became Franceis (c pronounced like ts), which became François (ç pronounced like s), which became Français.
>>
>>1414432
Hugh Capet I guess, though the first king to call himself King of the French was Philip Augustus.
>>
>>1414485
They didn't "start" calling themselves Germans, that was before the Roman era. Franks were a German tribe. Saracens called all western Europeans Franks because they only knew of them from Poitiers.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.