[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://m.wikihow.com/Persuade-an-At heist-to-Become-Christia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (331 KB, 1280x1232) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
331 KB, 1280x1232
http://m.wikihow.com/Persuade-an-Atheist-to-Become-Christian

It didn't work bros, why not.
>>
Probably because they used to be a Jehovah's Witness.
We were taught the bullshit of every other religion twice a week (three before about 2008) for years. Some, decades. Then we learned all the bullshit about JWs and just gave up on spirituality.

That or they think they're too smart to believe in ~le imaginary cloud man.
>>
>>1402084
>the way I see through bullshit is completely valid
>but if anyone else also believes it's bullshit they are completely unjustified
>>
>>1402084
>they think they're too smart to believe in ~le imaginary cloud man.

They /are/ too smart to believe in the imaginary cloud man.
>>
don't worry about it
>>
File: ofTFudD.jpg (113 KB, 1000x756) Image search: [Google]
ofTFudD.jpg
113 KB, 1000x756
>>1401955
God made him an atheist - who are you to question God's judgement!?

Really though, unless he's having a psychotic break down, the best you should ever be able to do is get him to admit he's actually agnostic. Very few atheists are actually staunch atheists, but at the same time, none will accept your particular god is anymore likely to be god than any of the others, especially if it's among the logically self-contradictory ones.

Though, on that root, you might be able to get him to accept that God is a power in the collective Jungian consciousness, and His power is felt through His believers. Which, in a sense, makes Him more real than a lot o other things, since this impacts our culture, outlook, and every day lives.

...and you might be able to convince him that religion, whether he believes it or not, has, or has had, a positive affect on the world (or at the very least that western civilization wouldn't have happened without it).

>inb4 agnostic atheist, gnostic theist, etc. The colloquials are sufficient, damnitall.
>>
File: s-RELIGION-DICE-large.jpg (29 KB, 260x190) Image search: [Google]
s-RELIGION-DICE-large.jpg
29 KB, 260x190
>>1401955
I'm an agnostic Unitarian Universalist, and anyone I've dated for more than three months, has changed religion (including my ex-wives).

However, it seems to be a roll of the dice as to which religion they will convert to:

- Converted a Buddhist to Hinduism.
- Converted a Catholic to Atheism.
- Converted an Atheist to UU.
- Converted a Christian Scientist to UU Pantheism.
- Converted a Scientologist to Atheism.
- Converted a Hellenistic Pagan to a Khemet Pagan.
- Converted a Jew to Wicca.
- Converted an Agnostic to Catholicism.

Mind you, I wasn't *trying* to convert any of these women (er, except maybe the Scientologist)... It just kinda happened. I'm "Mr. Mythology" among my friends, and keep doing comparative religion during conversations like Joseph Campbell on crack.

Suffice to say, I'm old, and I've had a weird love life.
>>
>>1401955
Probably becaus there is no reason to believe in something without proof.

Changing your life to fit a religion implies work, if there is no evidence that I -must- do this work why would I?

To sum it up: unless you can prove I should do something, I won't do it if I already wouldn't.
>>
>>1402320
Yeah, but you don't need proof of a god or gods to find enough value in a religion to follow its tenants. (Which is something a lotta edgy atheists don't seem to understand - it doesn't much matter whether or not God exists.)
>>
>>1402323
Except that is completely moronic:
1. There is overlap between religions in aspects, which to pick pal?
2. I always found it a terrible idea to pick ideologies, or "idea packs", just form your own moral and ethical views based on your own thought, there is no need to adhere to what someone else codified. Be true to yourself and your own ideas of what is right.
3. There is nothing edgy in recognizing the majority of people give zero fucks about the actual moral teachings of their religions and just basically act like fucktards, which is annoying as fuck when someone spouts about say christianism and yet acts completely contrary to everything it stands for.
>>
>>1401955
Show him fedoramemes it'll work.
>>
>>1402297
> - Converted a Jew to Wicca.

you cant just say this without having a story to back this up

how does this even work.

you sound like a complete manslut btw
>>
>>1402352
>1. There is overlap between religions in aspects, which to pick pal?
Which ever you feel fits you best, I suppose.

>2. I always found it a terrible idea to pick ideologies, or "idea packs", just form your own moral and ethical views based on your own thought, there is no need to adhere to what someone else codified. Be true to yourself and your own ideas of what is right.
Can't say I disagree, but nonetheless, most people do this. Tribalism is a pretty strong social instinct.

>3. There is nothing edgy in recognizing the majority of people give zero fucks about the actual moral teachings of their religions and just basically act like fucktards
People tend to be pretty bad at following their own moral codes, religious or otherwise. Nothing wrong with hating hypocrisy, but only hating religious hypocrisy, is well, hypocrisy.
>>
File: vs2.jpg (93 KB, 597x473) Image search: [Google]
vs2.jpg
93 KB, 597x473
>>1402363
She wasn't a practicing Jew, just one by birth. She was already dabbling in various spells, and had a lotta various pagan friends, and picked up some more hanging out with me, so it wasn't one of the more surprising conversions. Plus she was helping me out with some CUUPS volunteer work at the time, and I wound up lending her a lotta new-age occult books.

I was a bit of a manslut when I was young, but I've had maybe 11 serious relationships over 40+ years (and owned a night club for ~10 of those), so it's not quite as bad as it sounds, I'm just old.
>>
>>1402297
>>1402405
Not gonna lie, you sound like the person I'd like to sit down with, have a drink, and hear the shit you've done over the years.
>>
>>1401955
>It didn't work bros, why not.
Learn to accept people are different and don't try again. You're liable to lose a friend otherwise.
>>
>>1402405
>She wasn't a practicing Jew, just one by birth.
You didn't convert her then, she's still Jewish, just not religiously. That's like saying someone is a Muslim or Christian by birth, it doesn't work like that. Also being Jewish doesn't always equal following Judaism.
>>
>>1402352
Damn bro, you fresh off the boat?
>>
>>1402429
Well, I obviously wasn't claiming genetic conversion (aside from leaving some DNA in there maybe.)

But yeah, she hadn't been a practicing Jew since she was young, so again, not one of the more spectacular conversions. (Unlike the Catholic->Atheist, who didn't convert back, even on her death bed... Which I feel slightly guilty about, but at the same time, is probably the thing I should feel least guilty about in that whole relationship. *sniff*)
>>
>>1402352
>be tru to itself bro just do whatever feels good xD

t.marqis desade
>>
>>1402494
I've always read his book as kinda the opposite - almost a commentary on the hedonistic treadmill and the ultimate meaninglessness of the nature of sensation, but I'm sure it can be applied to say, Paris Hilton or some such.
>>
File: dont_give_her_the_D.jpg (164 KB, 404x640) Image search: [Google]
dont_give_her_the_D.jpg
164 KB, 404x640
>>1402505
>>1402494
"To enlighten mankind and improve its morals is the only lesson which we offer in this story. In reading it, may the world discover how great is the peril which follows the footsteps of those who will stop at nothing to satisfy their desires." - Marquis de Sade, Eugenie de Franval
>>
>Put yourself in your friend's shoes.

Uh-oh. Looks like the average DOOS FALTing /pol/ theist is fucked from the start. They'll convert to Judaism before they'll show any sign of empathy
>>
>>1402297
- Converted a Scientologist to Atheism.

>Mind you, I wasn't *trying* to convert any of these women (er, except maybe the Scientologist)...

Your doing the world a favor annon.
Thank you.
>>
>>1402381
I didn't say I only hate religious hypocrisy, that is an assumption you are free to make however.
My main problem is with ideologies in general, and the human tendency to adopt something they themselves won't really ever follow.
>>
>>1402442
No I'm still in the third world if that is what you mean.

>>1402494
I didn't say whatever "feels good", I said whatever you believe is right.
Basically, you're still gonna make assumptions but you don't need to follow the codified set of someone else. More importantly, you don't need to bother explaining to the average person that you're just in it for the virtues and that is why don't follow any of the rites, outdated dogmas, or even that you "don't actually believe".
It also makes turks, arabs really mad which is a plus :^)
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.