[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is Zen?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4
File: zen[1].jpg (1008 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
zen[1].jpg
1008 KB, 1920x1200
What is Zen?
>>
>>1393190
The lack of disturbance.
>>
>>1393190
the bastard synthesis of daoism and shintoism
>>
The sound of a fart when you're sleeping.
>>
I do not know, your Majesty.
>>
No really, I've heard the phrases "Zen" and "Zen Buddhism" thrown around alot but I have no real idea of what it's actually referring to.

Is it a religious belief? A philosophical principle? What is it getting at?

>>1393369
>>1393530
Care to elaborate?
>"The lack of disturbance"
I have a vague sense of where you're going with this but I would love to get some more elaboration.
>the bastard synthesis of daoism and shintoism
I have a basic understanding of daoism, but not shintoism. How does daoism and shintoism combine and lead to zen?
Also, sort of a minor note, but what is the significance of these so-called zen gardens? Im not bashing them, I'm genuinely curious. If they have a relation to the broader notion of zen then maybe explaining the symbolism behind these rock gardens can help clarify things.
>>
Meme Buddhist sect. One among many and not even the largest.
>>
File: 3727166_orig.jpg (16 KB, 194x300) Image search: [Google]
3727166_orig.jpg
16 KB, 194x300
It's a really shitty and really Japanese sect of Buddhism. If you know the basics of Buddhism, it's pretty much the same philosophically with some Japanese flavor thrown in there.

How it's different is the way in which you go about achieving nirvana.
You achieve nirvana by being able to undergo physical pain without giving a shit.
For example, monks in training will have to meditate in really uncomfortable positions and if they start shaking or if they shift positions, the monk in charge hits them with a stick.
At a typical Zen service, you go through some meditation and then listen to a monk prattle on about philosophy for a really long time all while sitting in a supper uncomfortable position.By the end, it hurts to walk.
At first, you'll sit in a lotus or half-lotus position with you butt up on a firm pillow and your knees on the ground. It's very uncomfortable.
At a more advanced level (pic related), you'll sit on this raised, slanted board with your knees on the floor and your feet under the board. It's even more uncomfortable.
When people say that they feel "Zen" (at peace) they have no idea what the fuck they're talking about. Zen sucks.
>>
File: The Mind Illuminated.png (155 KB, 1566x1805) Image search: [Google]
The Mind Illuminated.png
155 KB, 1566x1805
>>1394221
Zazen is not all of zen. Zen is Japanese for Jhana, Buddhist meditation, and typically it is used to mean thoughtless attention.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.