[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the historical Jesus like, behind the obviously altered
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: jesus fucking christ.jpg (64 KB, 555x700) Image search: [Google]
jesus fucking christ.jpg
64 KB, 555x700
What was the historical Jesus like, behind the obviously altered scriptures?

Was he a real revolutionary? I heard he hung out with whores.
>>
>>1388424
The Scriptures are teachings more than historical landmarking, though the placement of Christ is throughout these readings as well.
>>
I don't know, OP, how would anyone know what he is like if we reject all the earliest accounts of him as worthless?
>>
He was an apocalyptic preacher, originally a disciple of John the Baptist, another apocalyptic preacher. He believed that God would soon intervene to overthrow evil and establish his rule on earth.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhEUWobdXqY

This should give you all you need to know.
>>
Read Zealot by Reza Aslan
>>
>>1388468
>read a pop work by a Muslim trying to pull a "y-you too!" against Christians who criticize Mohammed for his violence
Why not just recommend the Da Vinci Code? It's more enteraining
>>
>>1388468
No, don't, Aslan is a creative writing graduate posing as a historian and does a pretty poor job of it.
>>
>>1388477

Sup /Pol/?
>>
>>1388424

Revolution in Judea, by Hyam Maccoby makes a stab at it, but the admitted weakness in attempting to reconstruct texts to edit out probable biases leads to more speculation than real prediction.
>>
>>1388424
This thread might just make me shake the dust off my sandals and move on.

Yup. It did.
>>
>>1388454
Well usually you can read between the lines, cut out the more clearly embellished stuff and find a real man behind it, by questioning the overall actions and motives of the man.
>>
Literally all that's even reasonably certain is that he was a Jewish preacher crucified by the Romans.

There's decent evidence to believe he was in some way connected with the Essenes and John the Baptist, who baptized him.

There's nothing even close to consensus on anything else.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.