[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The history of Madagascar
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: download.jpg (11 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11 KB, 259x194
Prove you're a true /his/torian anon.

Tell us everything you know about the history of the island of Madagascar.
>>
File: rana.png (1 MB, 707x898) Image search: [Google]
rana.png
1 MB, 707x898
Apparently, was ruled by female Caligula at one point.
>>
The country is largely impervious to foreign diseases.
>>
>>1388128
Yes, but the port is frequently closed, this is a major hassle for trade.
>>
the first settlers came sailing from indonesia, but there are legends of a previous native tribe
>>
>>1388097

i like to move it move it
>>
File: Lemurs-in-Madagascar.jpg (87 KB, 728x400) Image search: [Google]
Lemurs-in-Madagascar.jpg
87 KB, 728x400
>>1388097
Lemurs

>>1388104
>was ruled by a female Caligula
Yep. see >>1388020
>>
They have Lemurs
>>
My dad's from there and I know fuck all about it
>>
>>1388097
Its filled with Malays
>>
>>1388097
France
>>
>>1388097
There were a couple tribal kingdoms in the island, most of which would stretch alongside of the coast. Then the French came in, and then they left in the 60s
It's honestly not in any way different from mainland Africa.
Giraffe is best girl
>>
>>1388150
Not true. There were local Africans living there, as hunter-gatherers. It is these settlers who wiped out the megafauna when they first arrived (like elephant birds and the larger lemurs, etc).

But the later 'Indonesian' settlers had better technology, farming and organization, so they became dominant over most of the Island. They blanda-up to various degrees over the centuries anyhow. But these Malay-origin groups didn't go inland much, so you'll find darker/blacker groups the further away from the coast you get.

After that, you had Pirates and French empire troops, and some talk of sending the Jews there.

Today it's a corrupt shithole on the verge of implosion. It's also one of the few places where plague still happens.
>>
More anthropological: Madagascar people believe the Indri a large lemur is an ancestor. The ugly Aye-Aye on the other hand is a kind of devil and brings bad luck accordingly.
>>
>>1388097
Madagascar is a spook
>>
>giant birds, weird trees, lemurs
>colonized by asians
>for some reason they let black people onto the island
>crazy queen in the 19th century
>france colonizes
>banana republic after decolonization
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.