[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Prisoners of war
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 800x549) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 800x549
In the first and second world wars, the feeding and containing of prisoners was a great issue.
I have a pretty retarded question, why haven't they just cut off both of the prisoners index fingers (or the whole hands) and sent them home? This way they couldn't fight further, and they wouldn't need to be fed.
Or am I being too naïve?
>>
>>1387140
You can still shoot, just cut off their right hand.
>>
>>1387144
That's a good solution as well. I think even the prisoners would've been okay with that. Better than starving to death.
Or did everyone hate the enemy soldiers so much that letting them go home was the last thing they wanted to see?
>>
Armies would rather enemy soldiers surrender willingly than fight. Soldiers facing guaranteed mutilation are less likely to surrender.
>>
cause there are formalities that nations silently agree to follow regarding prisoners, mostly because you don't want the same fate to befall your soldiers.

in short, nations agree to treat their prisoners with at least some sense of dignity. cause if Germany started cutting of British and French prisoners hands. you can guarantee that german prisoners will come back missing their hands in return.

if it's not to follow international convention such as Geneva, it's to make sure that your prisoners don't before the same gruesome fate you inflict on your captive enemies.
>>
>>1387189
to add a real life example, Germany gave brutal treatment to the Russians all through World War II, where most worked an starved alongside the jews in the camps.

with that abysmal treatment going on in Germany, a German prisoner in the USSR was going to have just as bad a time for it, where the grand majority never returned home.
>>
File: Humans.jpg (23 KB, 320x279) Image search: [Google]
Humans.jpg
23 KB, 320x279
>>1387140
>I have a pretty retarded question
Yep
>>
File: 2552465071_small_1.png (109 KB, 400x434) Image search: [Google]
2552465071_small_1.png
109 KB, 400x434
the british cut the index fingers of the french during the French and Indian Wars.
So the french used the middle finger with their guns and showed it as an insult (pix)

btw after the scandal of the Prison Ship in UK during the napoleonian wars, the rule became Treat well my soldiers and I treat well yours.
>>
>>1387140

You want to cut off their hands preventing them from fighting... or doing any mechanical, clerical, industrial, or agricultural work for the rest of their lives, turning them into burdens of the state...

Yes, you're being naive.
>>
File: 140922-japense-skull-1944.jpg (133 KB, 722x1000) Image search: [Google]
140922-japense-skull-1944.jpg
133 KB, 722x1000
>>1387140

just cut off their heads. such trophy taking was popular in both wars.
>>
>>1387140
Cut wrists, 5x less cutting.
>>
>>1387140
Because what you do to your enemy your enemy will do to you, and no one wants to open that can of worms, see why they did not use chemical weapons in world war 2.
>>
>>1391140
>>1391140
The allies in late 1944 were actually planning to not only drop chemical ordnance but also anthrax over german cities en masse by mid-1945.

The only reason they didn't go through with it was the surrender.
>>
>>1391140
Japs launched major biological warfare on Chinese population centres in ww2.
>>
>>1393279
China couldn't afford to retaliate
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.