[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /his/ think about the (Great) Serene Republic of Venice?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9
File: images.png (19 KB, 318x159) Image search: [Google]
images.png
19 KB, 318x159
What does /his/ think about the (Great) Serene Republic of Venice?
>>
It survived for a long time because of the weight of the name 'Venice' and then the French realized that they were weak bitches and it was destroyed.
>>
File: Dices.jpg (39 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Dices.jpg
39 KB, 500x375
> Thirty members of the Great Council, chosen by lot, were reduced by lot to nine; the nine chose forty and the forty were reduced by lot to twelve, who chose twenty-five. The twenty-five were reduced by lot to nine and the nine elected forty-five. Then the forty-five were once more reduced by lot to eleven, and the eleven finally chose the forty-one who actually elected the doge.
More like Most Serene Lottery of Venice
>>
>>1384958
Sounds a bit like Athenian "democracy".
>>
卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐卐
>>
GIVE ME BACK CONSTANTINOPLE YOU VENETIAN JEW DOGS
>>
Good merchants, quite unusual that such a small city state could wield so much naval power. They filled the same niche as Rome (along with Genoa and Pisa) and the Venetian arsenal as well as other industries like glassworks no doubt pioneered new technology spurring on the renaissance.
>>
>>1384940
Modern Venice is a theme park based on 18-century Venice
>>
>>1384940
>most
>serene
>republic
>>
File: republic_of_ragusa.png (1 MB, 2000x3100) Image search: [Google]
republic_of_ragusa.png
1 MB, 2000x3100
Let's talk about the real best naval republic.
>>
proud sons of Rome
>>
I live there. It's a nice place if you like alcohol and drugs.
>>
File: implying.png (224 KB, 879x593) Image search: [Google]
implying.png
224 KB, 879x593
>>1384940
>most
>serene
>republic
>>
>>1384940
I'm veniceboo as fuck. But then I'm actually venetian.
>>
>>1386335
ma dio can
>>
>>1386342
Cossa vuto vecio, a no te penserè mia che ti si l'unico veneto de 4chan.
>>
>>1385682
this. venice is great for its trade, culture and history. a fishing community in a lagoon becoming one of the actual powerful and relevant italian medieval states, and a great eastern mediterranean trade power. they should have focused on becoming a banking and trade center focusing more on mainland europe than the Mediterranean after colonialism started
>>
>>1384940
How are the doge coins rolling?
>>
File: dogevenice.jpg (188 KB, 1024x735) Image search: [Google]
dogevenice.jpg
188 KB, 1024x735
>>
>>1388245
>>1388249
stop
>>
>>1384940
Sea Jews that enabled the mistake that was the Ottoman Turks to rise I power. Utterly despicable and duplicitous for their entire history; they ought to be remembered as the England of the Mediterranean sea.
>>
>>1386345
Pizza mario luigi
>>
did venetians has any connection with ancient Etruria ?
>>
>>1390512
have*
>>
File: 1450257238226.jpg (336 KB, 859x687) Image search: [Google]
1450257238226.jpg
336 KB, 859x687
>>1384972
>one lottery for the right to tell the demos what they're going to be talking about today
>one lottery
>>
>>1386345
Dio bèco se non te ve fora da'a mia board a te mando mì a calsi in tel cul.
>>
>>1389408
Rise of power do not become mistakes just because you don't like the said nation. Nations rise or fall according to the situation.
>>
>>1386342
>>1386345
Ahahahahah dio canaglia, non avrei mai pensato di trovare altri veneti su /his/
>>
>>1386226
Is it cheap?
>>
File: Doge life.jpg (205 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
Doge life.jpg
205 KB, 600x399
>>1384940
Arguably the first European Colonial Empire.
>>
>>1390512
Venice was foudeded by roman "refugees" during germanic and huns invasions, it was under the byzantine hexarchate of Ravenna and later it became indipendent.
All the (small) connections between venetians and etrurian come from that venetians were romans.
>>
>>1390559
Well you could say that about some Greek City States.
>>
>>1390568
>ancient greece
>european
Wew
>>
>>1390577
kys
>>
>>1384940
>(Great) Serene Republic of Venice

Not sure if this was your intention, but "serene" does not mean great, it simply means it had no liege-lord, ie, it was fully independent.
>>
>>1386342
>>1386345
>>1390539
>>1390541
Dio can'........
>>
File: cool.jpg (276 KB, 750x712) Image search: [Google]
cool.jpg
276 KB, 750x712
>>1385685
Kek this

>>1385661
Contract European Knights as mercenaries. Do the job. Do not pay them.
What you expected?

Dont understand the hate towards Venice at all. It was like a Switzerland but with actually balls and being rellevant lol.
>>
>>1390655
>failed pretender that no one liked in Byzantium promises to give wealth to the crusaders in order to help him
>get disposed quickly, the Byzantines aak for the crusaders to leave
>crusaders then go apeshit and plunder the entire place like the animals they are
>>
>>1390781
>not paying a fucking army their due
>>
>>1390512
The old venetics people, who were assimilated by Rome, did have a lot of contact with the etruscans, since they were neighbours and both trade focused civilizations.
Venetians proper however only distinguished themselves as an ethnic group something like a millennium after the disappearance of the etruscans.
>>
>>1390781
>get disposed quickly, the Byzantines aak for the crusaders to leave
This was stupid as all fuck. I mean they just chose to depose a guy with a huge army while being totally defenseless. What else did they think could have happened?
They should at least have tried buying the army themselves, rather than just piss them off with no plans on how to deal with them. It was such an astoundingly stupid move that I can't believe people don't actually blame the greeks for the sack of the city.
>>
>>1390568
Well that was a different type of colonization. Venice's type was all about trade, their behaviour was basically the same as 19th century Britain and France in Asia.
Greece's type was all about settlements. Also in most casesthey didn't really maintain the kind of control a colonial power has on its subjects very long.
>>
>>1390830
>>1390512

Tuscanny is nowhere near Venice and the site of Venice was uninhabited until the middle ages. So no.
>>
>>1390881
>the site of Venice was uninhabited until the middle ages
Traditionally the site of Venice was inhabited since the 25th of march 421, that's still antiquity.

Also I hope you realize that the etruscans expanded outside of Tuscany. At their peak they controlled land all the way down to Campania and all the way up to Lombardia and Emilia Romagna. They were literally neighbours with the venetics of old, their expansion stopping right at the venetian borders.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.