[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What has carthage lost all their naval battles against the Romans ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: carthage_port-0 - Copie.jpg (225 KB, 960x632) Image search: [Google]
carthage_port-0 - Copie.jpg
225 KB, 960x632
What has carthage lost all their naval battles against the Romans ?
>>
The roman strategy of getting stuck in with boarding tactics was easier to implement compared to the carthaginian ramming tactics. Also, ramming tactics require skills so whenever carthage lost ships their fleet gradually become less effective while the romans were getting better and better at boarding.
>>
The Romans actually lost every naval battle until they reversed engineered Carthaginian ships and added boarding planks.

Rome knew they couldn't match carthage at Sea, so they turned every naval battle into a land battle.
>>
File: ced.jpg (878 KB, 986x1369) Image search: [Google]
ced.jpg
878 KB, 986x1369
>>1383736
The corvus was a motherfucker of an invention. Romans were damn good at turning weaknesses into strength
>>
>>1383340
How did that port work? Why does it look like a CIS Droid Control Ship? What does the ring in the middle do?
>>
>>1383790
The outer rectangular section was for merchant/civilian ships, and the inner rotunda was for military ships. beyond that I don't know why that design in particular was chosen.
>>
>>1383806
because its aesthetic as FUCK
>>
>>1383790
>
“The harbors had communication with each other, and a common entrance from the sea twenty meters wide, which could be closed with iron chains. The first port was for merchant vessels, and here were collected all kinds of ships' tackle. Within the second port was an island which, together with the port itself, was enclosed by high embankments. These embankments were full of shipyards which had capacity for 220 vessels. Above them were magazines for their tackle and furniture. Two Ionic columns stood in front of each dock, giving the appearance of a continuous portico to both the harbor and the island. On the island was built the admiral's house, from which the trumpeter gave signals, the herald delivered orders, and the admiral himself overlooked everything. The island lay near the entrance to the harbor and rose to a considerable height, so that the admiral could observe what was going on at sea, while those who were approaching by water could not get any clear view of what took place within. Not even the incoming merchants could see the docks, for a double wall enclosed them, and there were gates by which merchant ships could pass from the first port to the city without traversing the dockyards.”
>>
>>1383340
Do remnants of that port still exist?
>>
>>1383862
no, burned completely to the ground after the third punic "war"
>>
>>1383592
>>1383736
The romans only used the corvus for a short time, and won more than one battle without it.

Pop culture please go and stay go.
>>
File: carthage.png (2 MB, 1104x714) Image search: [Google]
carthage.png
2 MB, 1104x714
>>1383868
no it's still there.

granted it's just an outline on the shore, but you can still visit it.
>>
File: Port of Carthage from the air.jpg (37 KB, 461x384) Image search: [Google]
Port of Carthage from the air.jpg
37 KB, 461x384
>>1383862
>>
>>1383875
by remnants I thought he meant physical and artificial remnants, my bad.
>>
>>1383875
>>1383880
Added to my list of places to visit.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.