[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is pic related the most notorious sword fighter in history?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: GOAT tril.jpg (18 KB, 400x280) Image search: [Google]
GOAT tril.jpg
18 KB, 400x280
Is pic related the most notorious sword fighter in history?
>>
>>1381395
is this the samurai trilogy about musashi miyamoto starring toshino mifune?

king arthur is a bigger name world wide
>>
>>1381533
>king arthur is a bigger name world wide
He is a knight. Not a duelist.

>is this the samurai trilogy about musashi miyamoto starring toshino mifune?
Yeah.
>>
>>1381539
Names of the movies?
>>
>>1381541
The Samurai Trilogy.
>what is google image search
>>
File: Bokuden Normal.jpg (35 KB, 320x404) Image search: [Google]
Bokuden Normal.jpg
35 KB, 320x404
>>1381395
Musashi is hardly the only samurai, or swordsmans with an amazing record.

Tsukuhara bokuden for instance survived many battles and duels, in one he even cut clean through a naginata shaft, and then the arm of the guy holding it!

Even in Musashi's life he was not the most famous swordsman in Japan, that honor went to a member of the Yagyu family, either Yagyū Munenori, or his father.
>>
>>1381584
>Even in Musashi's life he was not the most famous swordsman in Japan
I always thought Musashi was so famous because, yes he won many consecutive duels, 50? But in his last duel he fought with a wooden sword and his ingenuitey in using the sun won him his battle. Not through sheer prowess like the other individuals did as you mentioned.
>>
>>1381590
most of musashi's duels were probably matches with wooden swords, and were probably not death matches, though with wooden weapons there is always a danger.

Most of his fame seemed to originate after his death, because of the efforts of his students to popularize his teachings
>>
>>1381590
>because of the efforts of his students to popularize his teachings
I see, interesting.

Anyother duelists worth looking into other than the ones you have mentioned?
>>
>>1381606
There are many in japan, which is what I am familiar with.

Kamiizumi Nobutsuna

Yagyu Jubei,

Muso Gennosuke, who fought Musashi, and allegedly won a rematch with him

Saito Denkibo

Munisai Taketo, Musashi's father.

There are so many others from that period, martial artists were expected to accept duels, so There were alot
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.