[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's say we live in a different timeline. One where the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: slaves.jpg (370 KB, 1038x539) Image search: [Google]
slaves.jpg
370 KB, 1038x539
Let's say we live in a different timeline. One where the U.S.A. sent back all the slaves before the north started their economic stranglehold on the south. The feds payed back the south for all the lost workers. What would it be like now? Would there still have been a civil war? Would we be stronger, or weaker?
>>
The US would be about 97.3% better.

I did the math myself.

Seriously though, that would have solved about a century plus worth of political issues.
>>
>>1381204

I was trying to think about the single most devastating thing that's happened to the US and it's definitely slaves and their descendants. Now, the remnants of the soviet machine chug on, asking us to let any black person pull a gun on a cop whenever they want. We'll probably never escape this.
>>
>>1381204
Can you show your calculations that led you to that specific number?
>>
File: 1459231523860.jpg (44 KB, 420x294) Image search: [Google]
1459231523860.jpg
44 KB, 420x294
>>1381203
So, I did some quick research and calculations:

In 1860:
USA GPD: $11,806,400,000 [1]
Cost per slave: $800 [2]
Cost to transport at 3rd class rate over atlantic: $30 [3]
Number of slaves: $3,950,528 [4]
Total cost to purchase all slaves: $3,160,422,400
Total cost to ship all slaves to Africa: $118,515,840

This does not include other costs such as administration, logistics, housing and transport.

Basically I don't see how this would have been realistically viable, as that cost would ultimately have to be paid for by the citizens, it would create a massive labour gap the South relied upon, cotton prices would skyrocket which would impact many other industrial product reliant on it...

But, hypothetically if something like this were to be done, it would have to happen over several years or decades to give the southern economies time to transition efficiently and painlessly. Also, many of those opposed to slavery on moral grounds would most likely learn more about what Africa is like and even find it morally reprehensible to send them back to a place that isn't much better, if not worse.

Also, where in Africa do you propose to dump them? No doubt most colonies would not accept such a large number of people.

Would have been much more interesting to just let the South secede in peace and not go to war over it. From what I gather(and I'm far from an expert) the war was more fought over the right of states to secede(although the issue of slavery was the cause for cessation) and slave emancipation was later used as a high ground for moral justification, as most people would not consider the cost and lives lost in the war to be worth a fight over something like secession rights alone.

[1] http://www.napavalley.edu/people/pallen/Documents/Economics%20120/Econ120_sp12_3_Reunification_1.pdf
[2] https://www.measuringworth.com/slavery.php
[3] http://eh.net/eha/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Weissetal.pdf
[4] http://www.civil-war.net/census.asp?census=Total
>>
>>1381203
Why do White people fantasize about making black Americans "leave" when they so often come from willing migrants.

Black Americans are more American than most of you people, they shouldn't leave your ancestors should have.
>>
>>1382657
It's a hypothetical based on a genuine movement in the 19th century, don't get so upset over someone asking a question.
>>
>>1382670
It was never going to happen on a large scale and if you really thibknyou could force slaves to go down a boat and take then across the Atlantic Ocean again you are a fucking retard

Your fictional fantasies and althistories are best for reddit or lit, this did not happen take it elsewhere
>>
>>1382651
>Also, where in Africa do you propose to dump them?
The original idea was to send them to the American colony, a.k.a. Liberia.

>No doubt most colonies would not accept such a large number of people.
This is a minimum of 15 years before any major colonial charters for Africa were issued.
>>
>>1382681
Just spin it as "you guys will get to ride a nice boat like whitey does, and go back to the land you own, where you will be free and among peers"
>>
>>1382681
>being this buttblasted because you're a darkie
I don't know why you say it isn't possible. Far larger populations than that of the American slaves were forcefully uprooted from their homes and relocated well after the civil war ended. Germans relocated the entire Khoikhoi peoples. Russians relocated Manchurians out of Outer Manchuria. The COMBLOC relocated nearly every German that was East of the Oder. It's really not a fantastical concept.
>>
>>1382704
White people would literally be going to war to force then back.
>>1382707
Take this shit out of /his/ it has nothing to do with actual history and is an annoying circle jerk of stupidity

It's like when dumbasses talk about native Americans and don't know shit about us
>>
>>1382729
You do realize Liberia was a thing, right? Had Lincoln not been shot it would have turned out FAR differently. If you cannot handle a discussion of simple American history without throwing a fit, you need to take a break from the internet.
>>
>>1382749
Liberia was a minor place, it's American population never constituted more than 3% of rebellion and that's including free Congolese people who were incorporated.

It was never going to work by force, you'd be creating another opportunity for the British to support insurrection amongst black populations if you tried to force this.

You literally have misunderstanding of history and want to have a circle jerk of people who agree with your half ass understanding of the world.
>>
>>1382683
>The original idea was to send them to the American colony, a.k.a. Liberia.
Well, sending just under 4 million people to a country that I can only imagine had no more than a few hundred thousand people in 1860 would have been potentially rather disastrous. I believe the original intent was only to relocate freed slaves, which numbered only a few hundred thousand at most.

>>1382683
Fair enough, I only skimmed this part of the research but regardless, most countries then would still not accept a millions of people just like that.

>>1382707
I'm not familiar with all the history of all the cases here, but how many of those relocations were done moving the people to territories that the relocator did not control?
>>
>>1382780
And? Literally tell the UK "you guys want people to abolish slavery yeah? Alright we'll send 2 million to our colonies and 2 to yours".

Jokes aside, the process could be drawn out through a decade.
>>
There was never a serious movement to forcibly send Black Americans to Africa.
There is also no solid evidence that Abraham Lincoln still supported voluntary emigration by the end of the War.
This is ignoring the fact that it was not feasible from an economic or political standpoint.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.