[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is there literally NOTHING to know pre-Rurik about the eastern-slavic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
Why is there literally NOTHING to know pre-Rurik about the eastern-slavic tribes? Where the Romans really that limited to reach those areas in order to study them? And even during the Rurikovich dynasty, why is the Primary Chronicle the only source for most shit happening back then? It's ridiculous.
>>
>>1371003
It's the realm of archaeology, no?
>>
because nobody cared about them as long as they staid where they were and didn't bother anyone.
>>
>>1371015
Except they did bother everyone around them (talking mainly about Kievan Rus') including Byzantium.
>>
>>1371003

Loads is known, it's just mostly archeology and not history.
>>
>>1371008
>>1371042
Like what?
>>
>>1371030
We are talking about before Rurik.
>>
>>1371003
Lack of written language does that to people's
>>
>posting rurik
o shit!
>ayyo hol up. my name is perkele pekka and rurik was finnish (just like hannibal and mozart)
>>
>>1371107
But Rurik was black.
>>
>>1371003
Pretty sure there's greek sources talking about the overall area. Not much but you can't expect more, it's a land far from all civilization.
>>
>anti-viking fags will always be buttblasted at rurik's name

feels good man
>>
>>1371220
From what I've researched, the Greek sources were mainly on the western Slavs. The eastern slavs were too far out for them to care I assume.
>>
>>1371228
is it that one same finnish fag who tries forcing this meme?
>>
>>1371055
they ate mostly grass
>>
>>1371003

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rus%27_Khaganate
>>
>>1371003
Archaeology in Russia is a smaller scene as i understand and it's in....Russian.

So the same amount of effort to find stuff hasn't happened in Russia and what has been found is behind a language barrier unless something big enough to bother translating gets published.

Not much to find either most likely. People were there but they didn't leave much of a mark on the land.
>>
>>1371030
and that's why people started caring about them.
>>
>>1373208
Archaeology in Russia is a big scene, but the the history of Eastern Slavs before Rurik is not a common knowledge among general educated population.
Right now I have a series of Soviet-era archaeology books downloaded from torrents. There's a book called "East Slavs in VI-XIII centuries".
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.