[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are the cultural traits of a nation worth maintaining?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
Are the cultural traits of a nation worth maintaining?
>>
Humans are designed to adapt their culture to changing circumstances.

Those changes that make the society better at facing its environment are good.

Those changes that make the society less adaptive to the new environment are bad.
>>
>>1363101
The Mongols adapted their society wonderfully to the needs of conquest for a hundred years or more, then they crumbled, empire after empire, because their martial qualities weren't suited to their new lifestyle. They hit a dead end, despite having an amazing set of cultural and societal adaptations.

How do we prevent such dead ends from detrimentally affecting our present-day societies?
>>
>>1363095
Everything changes, nothing lasts forever.
>>
>>1363095
When I say I want to preserve my culture, I mean I want to allow it to change fluently to the times. I want to take on new situations keeping the same moralities that brought us to where we are now, instead of totally scrapping them and chaotically trying to replace it.
>>
>>1363276
how is this bullshit considered an answer?
>>
If the cultural traits of a nation are objectively good and just then they shall and should be continued. Those traits that are objectively bad or unjust should be rooted out, regardless of our affectations towards them.
>>
>>1363297

Less bullshit than the question desu.
>>
File: 1449930828663.gif (3 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1449930828663.gif
3 MB, 400x225
>>1364609
>objectively good
>objectively bad
>>
>>1363095
If they are beneficial.
Otherwise it's not worth maintaining harmful cultural traits.
>>
>>1363297
Because it's right.
>>
>>1364637

Even cold November rain is less bullshit than the question.
>>
>>1364954
>Leftists don't have the mental capabilities for things more complex than slogans.
>Implying the alt right isnt literally all memes and slogans
>MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! BUILD WALL! AMERICA FIRST!

Yeah you can go fuck off now
>>
>>1364982
What makes you think I'm from the "alt right"? Is that the new boogeyman lefties use to scare people into being silent?
>>
>>1364990
Yes. The alt-right scares them because they have actual ideals instead of what the Neo-cons are.
>>
It is easy ain't it? Certain cultural traits are worth maintaining others not.

What I loathe is that cultural traits seem to grouped into the stupid left/right dichotomy instead of benefit/non-benefit.

Both the left and right have good ideas but both will disregard them whatever it is considered left or right.
>>
>>1363095
Only if those trait serves a purpose within the nation. For example, culture of overconsumption in US is what drives businesses to grow *ahem* larger. It may sacrifice human lives and health, but this simply means the health industry grows larger as well.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.