[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Helium discovery in former German colony
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: 1818935.jpg (69 KB, 460x609) Image search: [Google]
1818935.jpg
69 KB, 460x609
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-36651048

>fall for the colonialism meme
>colonies never turn a profit and get seized after WWI
>fall for the hydrogen meme
>zeppelins catch fire during bombing raids
>except there was actually non-flammable helium under Tanganyika the entire time

What do you think /his/? To what extent would access to these helium reserves have helped the German war effort?
>>
None whatsoever. They couldn't get shit out of africa.
>>
Mfw i realized the kaiser did nothing wrong
>>
>>1362985
Also the tech to find and extract reserves has massively changed over the years.
>>
File: German askari.jpg (146 KB, 528x800) Image search: [Google]
German askari.jpg
146 KB, 528x800
>>1362963
German colonialism was the only colonialism that actually helped the people being colonized.
>>
>>1363162
Tanzania lost millions of people during the Great War. Namibia was almost wiped out for no reason under the Herero massacre.
>>
>>1363162
>Your map of Africa is really quite nice. But my map of Africa lies in Europe. Here is Russia, and here... is France, and we're in the middle — that's my map of Africa.
>Bismarck

AFAIK Germans barely cared about colonialism. Dunno if it's true but I once read that the whole reason Bismarck organised the Berlin conference was to bait the other powers into focusing on Africa and distracting them from Europe.
>>
>>1363167
I remember one nation park in Tanzania the story was that a group used to own it that rebeled but Germany rekt them so the population dropped massively that it was super sparse.

Even if land is governed owned in Tanzania the fact it was so empty made it easy to turn it into a park.
>>
>>1363177
Bismarck barely cared about colonialism. Wilhelm 2nd was all for colonies because they are simply a prestigious thing to have as a great power. France and Bongistan had colonies and so Germany needed them as well.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.