[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you believe History is valid?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 6
Do you believe History is valid?
>>
File: 1466834636910.jpg (115 KB, 397x600) Image search: [Google]
1466834636910.jpg
115 KB, 397x600
History is a circle.
>>
>>1361399
it sure is
"My name is ASAC Hank Schrader and you can go fuck yourself"
>>
What Watterson fails to take into account is that there are always competing interpretations of history.

He might be right in regards to say... a public school textbook, where the agenda & message will change with the times, but all the primary sources remain unchanged.
>>
I view it with a great deal of scepticism, and consider the study of history to be a series of competing mythologies.
>>
>>1361369
Only to the extent that it is validated by the material sciences like archaeology, forensic science, evolutionary biology, climatology, etc and by the most up to date theoretical models that arise out of the observed data, like economics, linguistics, comparative literature, sociology, etc.

>>1361431
I actually think his intent was satire: to show the mindset of somebody who justifies bad revisionism
>>
File: spiralelog.gif (7 KB, 947x679) Image search: [Google]
spiralelog.gif
7 KB, 947x679
>>1361399
nope
>>
>>1361431
>Thinking Calvin is a mouthpiece for Watterson

The things Calvin says are usually satire of entitled 90s children.
>>
File: histcon.jpg (18 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
histcon.jpg
18 KB, 320x320
Everyone interested in this question really owes it to themselves to read John Lukacs' Historical Consciousness.
>>
History is bunk.
>>
>>1361882
Delet this!
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.