[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Debate time. Give arguments for and against religion. Note:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: god_godstar.jpg (31 KB, 600x396) Image search: [Google]
god_godstar.jpg
31 KB, 600x396
Debate time.

Give arguments for and against religion.

Note: Here the issue of the existence of God will not be treated
>>
pls no

it would be all memes and edges
>>
File: FuturamaGodEntity.jpg (67 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
FuturamaGodEntity.jpg
67 KB, 768x576
>>1360734
Humans can't agree on what religion is right, the Universe is huge and people assume god would want anything to do with this planet. It's not really about religion though the real question is what happens after death, since we have limited time on this planet we want to do our best to get into a better life. Which is why people raised a certain religion won't ever question it because they want the best outcome after this life and questioning their belief is seen as bad because "have faith".
>>
Polytheism is the best type
>>
>>1360734

I don't really care whether there are arguments "for religion" I just care whether claims are true and there's no evidence the claims made by religions are.
>>
>>1360734
>Note: Here the issue of the existence of God will not be treated

This is kind of important to the question, tho. If there is no god, then religion is a system of lies designed to fleece the dim-witted and empower ruthless priests. On the other hand if there is a god, religion might be the sole meaningful thing in reality.
>>
>>1360734
I'm an atheist and I'm not necessarily "against" religion. I'm with Santayana that religion is at least partially an outgrowth of the artistic impulse. As long as someone puts legitimate work into thinking about their faith, I'm fine with it.
Practically speaking though, there seems to be a ton of gullible rubes getting fleeced by cynical dudes. I'm down for that not happening.
>>
The whole idea of gods relies on intelligence being more fundamental to reality than the universe itself. I see absolutely no good reason why that would be the case and chalk deities up to run of the mill human anthropomorphization of the environment.

No one doubts that if gods didn't exist that humans would still make up gods to believe in.
>>
>Give arguments for and against religion.
>Note: Here the issue of the existence of God will not be treated
What?

Is this one of those "religion is corrupted and wrong but my feelies are still totally right" type of debate?
>>
>>1360734
For: it can work as a evolutionary group strategy. Example: Judaism.

Against: it can work as a disgenic disaster and bring the downfall of entire civilizations. Example: Christianity.

It's not about truth. It's about utility and survival.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.