[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
To what extent has the linguistic hegemony of English in the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
To what extent has the linguistic hegemony of English in the US and Canada influenced the relative stability of the North American continent, its rapid rise to prominence, and its dominance over Europe?
>>
>random massive "Swedish" in Finland

every time
>>
>>1357068
that map triggers me
>>
>>1357117
Why?
>>
>>1357126
because it's so damn wrong
>>
>>1357140
About what
>>
>>1357146
in general the arbitrary borders, but more specifically
>breton is pretty much extinct
>so is sami
>frisian too wide spread, fucking nobody speaks it in germany / denmark
>sorbian area too small
>fucking clear cut kurdish majority
>turkish majority in hatay
and way more
>>
>>1357146
>>1357160
also >implying altaic languages
>>
>>1357087

Fenno-Swedes and Åland though

>>1357068

Yes, Hollywood in particular helps spread the English language, and pop music.
>>
>>1357160
Also Polish is the majority on the both sides of the Lithuanian-Belarusian border.
>>
>>1357237

They're only notable in Åland and Österbotten though. That map implies Swedish language is widely spoken in Finland proper and even fucking Nyland
>>
>>1357237
>Yes, Hollywood in particular helps spread the English language, and pop music.

Emm, nope. At least not in Europe. Films are translated (dubbed or with subtitles) and no one cares about lyrics in songs. English took over Europe because people learn it to advance their employment prospects and make their kids to learn it at the very young age for the same reason.
>>
>>1357308

The map is from about 200 years ago i think
>>
>>1357237

I think movies and tv are a bit overrated when it comes to spreading English to the European youth.

Frankly for kids these days it's mainly youtube and video gaming. Youtube wasn't a thing when I was a kid but IT and video games were the main reason why I was good in English at the age of 10. Video games are almost never translated.

I think video games is the main reason why in my country the only traditional school subject where boys usually exceed girls is English.
>>
>>1357068
>so Swiss is not a language I guess

Tell that to the Swiss and Germans.
>>
>>1357376
Swiss language?

Oh that's just an inside joke in Switzerland. They just thrown german, french, italian and english words together in a mishmash sentence just to mess with foreigners.
>>
>>1357407
Oh those sneaky boogers.
>>
>>1357346
>>1357316

It's the internet. Everyone speaks English, especially on Facebook. Pop-culture in general spreads English, but the invention of the internet caused the biggest boom, even here we could discuss in French or German or Chinese but we choose to speak English because there has to be one "common tongue".
>>
>>1357068

The map is inaccurate as fuck. Irish is not spoken purely in the west, their are two Irish speaking regions in Meath for example.

Also the geographical regions where Irish is spoken is much smaller.
>>
>>1357474

>Everyone speaks English, especially on Facebook

While I do agree with the Internet, Facebook isn't it. Most people have only fellow countrymen as facebook friends so they usually speak their native language. Facebooks has also been translated to almost every language.
>>
>>1357068
>altaic
nice meme map
>>
>>1357160
>breton, sami, extinct
tens of thousands of people speak saami, and there are over 200,000 speakers of breton.
>>
File: 1467397910090.png (3 MB, 3000x1945) Image search: [Google]
1467397910090.png
3 MB, 3000x1945
>>1357068
nice propaganda, obama
>>
>>1357068
>To what extent has the linguistic hegemony of English in the US and Canada influenced the relative stability of the North American continent, its rapid rise to prominence, and its dominance over Europe?

It's because Mexico and Canada are tiny and weak compared with America.
>>
Breton is overreprresented
>>
>>1357068
This is missing Aragonese and a bazillion of Italian languages.
>>
>>1357346
Can confirm, I learned English playing Metroid Prime and GTA (and reading walkthroughs)
>>
>>1357407
He probably meant that Swiss German is different from German, but this is hilarious.
>>
>>1357068
That map is very weird when it comes to the Dutch language area.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.