[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Epistemology thread What actually can be known? How can knowledge
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: 1465876386853.jpg (85 KB, 417x597) Image search: [Google]
1465876386853.jpg
85 KB, 417x597
Epistemology thread

What actually can be known?
How can knowledge be obtained?
What even is knowledge?

My goal is to understand everything that can be understood, to get the best possible grasp of reality. By this I don't mean autistically memorizing facts and numbers. I'm striving for explanatory knowledge. I'm currently studying on my own mathematics, formall logic, physics, theoretical computer science and philosophy. But the more I learn, the more I get the feeling that there will always be some kind of knowledge that cannot be covered by those fields. Some vague intuitive kind of feeling that there is some kind of knowledge which cannot be formalized. I feel like there is something more to reality. Perhaps some immaterial, spiritual component. I'm not religious, so I don't know how to deal with this.

Thoughts?
>>
File: 1452877238550.jpg (62 KB, 650x447) Image search: [Google]
1452877238550.jpg
62 KB, 650x447
>>1344773
Have you overcome the dilemma of IS and OUGHT yet, Koko?
>>
>>1344786
Didn't I solve that one already?
>>
>>1344824
You tell me, I dont index every gorillaposter.
>>
>>1344773
The only way to know reality is to experience it. The rest is just description of the stage machinery
>>
>>1344854
This is dumb you experience reality everyday the second you wake up
>>
I don't think anything can be truly known. The best you can hope for are close approximations of knowledge, but these are always going to be flawed.

Flawed tools will only ever produce a flawed result.
>>
>>1344773
as far as i can tell knowledge can only be tautological or empirical (if vaguely)
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.