[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hypatia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: 11515107_gal.jpg (18 KB, 250x326) Image search: [Google]
11515107_gal.jpg
18 KB, 250x326
I am fascinated by the Library of Alexandria. The amount of knowledge we had at that point (most of it forever lost).

Hypatia was the only woman in charge of the Library and the last. The video below tells what she did, accomplished and how she died in 415.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqzpHYfAdsE

have fun
>>
It's not really worth being fascinated about. There were other, more impressive libraries, most of what was in the one at Alexandria was probably copied and sent to others, especially as it declined and decayed, and by the time of Hypatia the contents of the library were pretty much gone.
>>
>crying over useless books of outdated medical "knowledge" and magic
>>
>>1341913
>>1341912

Holy shit, the arrogant ignorance, and idiocy, are strong with you two.
>>
>>1341928
And here comes the name calling
>>
>>1341928
Hypatia fuck off, the Bishop did nothing wrong you whore. Also pic unrelated because Hypatia was an old crone when she was killed.
>>
>>1341912
>There were other, more impressive libraries
the historical facts. send the the sources i'm excited to read about them.

>>1341913
>useless books of outdated medical "knowledge" and magic
>euclids is magic
>apollonius is magic
>aristarcus
>...
>>
>>1341934
Remarking upon idiocy is not "namecalling".
>>
>>1341943
*tips fedora*
>>
File: 1461415929435.jpg (20 KB, 623x289) Image search: [Google]
1461415929435.jpg
20 KB, 623x289
>>1341897
>Rachel Weisz

My one weakness!
>>
>>1341912
Most wasn't copied though. There were civilizations referenced in Saharan Africa we have no records of, we have no way of reaching. Buried under oceans of sand, and their relics carried across it this way and that. Impossible to find.
>>
File: Janus.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
Janus.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
>>1343361
Pardon me, your post fascinates me.

Are there ways to "scan" the Saharan sand with some sort of modern tech that sees through the sand and shows objects of interest beneath?

I don't mean basicbeach metal detectors, but some kind of topographical scanner that ignores the highly granular substances like sand..
>>
>>1341897
She's my /his/tfu.

Fuck off!
>>
>>1344732
Yes, the technology exists, but it will never be implemented on the Sahara desert like that by those who have it, because they are complicit in the literal and figurative coverup of what lies underneath there.
>>
File: Hypatia.jpg (50 KB, 801x543) Image search: [Google]
Hypatia.jpg
50 KB, 801x543
I respect Christian philosophy and theology a great deal, but I just stomach the claim that such a good, classy and intelligent lady in Hypatia of Alexandria would spend an eternity in hell just because she was a Pagan, and the mob that lynched and raped her to death is in heaven because they were Christians. This is preposterous and the contrary of justice.
>>
>>1344822
reminder that hypatia was cute and pure ;_;

>>1344864
>I respect Christian philosophy and theology a great deal
stopped reading right there.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.