[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your take on we shows like crash course history,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 250x378) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 250x378
What's your take on we shows like crash course history, wisecrack or nerd writer.

Personally, I think they do an alright job when it comes to providing straightforward answers like dates of events of causes of them.

But God, when it comes to philosophy they can get wrong.
>>
>>1339452
While I agree with the thrust of your general concern, I think they often get the most important points right.

For example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N_RO-jL-90
>>
File: image.gif (996 KB, 290x231) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
996 KB, 290x231
>>1339466
Of course, they get the foundation correct. But I think the style of these YouTube educational videos actually detracts from learning.

They're often short, up to 10-15 minutes at the most. Which might account for their fast talking or maybe that's how they naturally talk. Personally I enjoy wisecrack and nerd writer.
>>
Wisecrack's "The philosophy of ___" is amusing enough.

Crash course is too simplistic and i don't like John Green and his style of humour.

Nerdwriter is meh
>>
>>1339452
It's nice we live in a time where you can go on YouTube and watch a 10-15 minute video to give you some guidence on a historical topic because if you want to do more research you get enough little pin points to start.
>>
who is that anaconda madonna?
>>
>>1339481
But isn't that a massive contribution considering who is gonna watch the videos (mostly)? There's people who hasn't read a book with any recognized cultural value in months if not years, and even people who hasn't read a book at all in that period of years. Is this people supposed to learn, introduced and redeemed with something more complex?
>>
>>1339959
Some facist methinks.
>muh aryan goddess
>>
>>1339481
Any surface level take is going to give you that though. The ideal is that you go and read more deeply, and then come back to evaluate the video based on a deeper knowledge of the subject.

The problem isn't the content of the videos, it's the discipline of those watching them.
>>
>>1339959
>>1340198
lmao
>>
File: image.jpg (365 KB, 448x2961) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
365 KB, 448x2961
>>1340262
You're right. I never thought of it that way.

>>1340198
She's involved in multiple conspiracy theories about Nazis travelling to outer space and meeting aliens. I just find them humourous, I'm not really a fascist.
>>
File: image.jpg (191 KB, 517x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
191 KB, 517x768
Bump
>>
>>1339863
John Greens style of humor and the trend of people who use it make me cringe. For this reason I can't watch him, or anything made by a millenial with this sense of humor.
>>
>>1346283
>John Greens style of humor
If you don't like forced memes, you're in the wrong place.
>>
>>1339452
Jabzy, the only YouTuber that I find good for quick history
>>
military history visualized and The great war are the only history-related channels I watch regularly.
>>
>>1339452
>Crash course history
>any good
Green consistently fucks up dates, events or even actors. It's probably one of the worst pop history youtube channels and that's saying something.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.