[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What caused the hippie movement and counterculture to start right
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: Wiki_3135063.jpg (1 MB, 3789x2496) Image search: [Google]
Wiki_3135063.jpg
1 MB, 3789x2496
What caused the hippie movement and counterculture to start right after the assassination of JFK? Up to the start of 1964 early 60s society was the same as it was in the 50s
>>
>>1331913
(((College professors)))
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 239x215) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 239x215
>>1331913
Dialectics
>>
there were beatniks and rock and rollers already
the Beatles were big transitional figures as was Bob Dylan
also the large numbers of teenagers with spending money and free time was a fairly new development in America
>>
>>1331950
College professors were liberal before 1964, and that doesn't explain why hippies didn't pop up a few years earlier before JFK got shot
>>
>>1331960
beatniks and rock and rollers didn't completely change society though, the 1960s counterculture movement radically changed the Western world and it created the modern tolerant environment we live in today. And 1950s (white) teenagers were pretty damn prosperous. Even the wikipedia article for the 60s counterculture says it started with the assassination of JFK. Basically I'm trying to figure out why the president getting shot made a bunch of hippies pop up everywhere and change the West forever. But I can't figure it out
>>
>>1331913
Because After JFK, LBJ came in and escalated the Vietnam war dramatically, resulting in an increase in conscription; the people that were being conscripted were people the same age as the hippies. It's also because LBJ increased civil rights and MLK was becoming more and more successful/popular.

One could also argue that the increase in the number of Americans who owned colour TVs had an effect because once they did, they were shown the true horrors of war (little censorship back then).
>>
>>1331913

Marxist subversion going on from the 1920s in academia.
>>
>>1331979
well hippies comes from hipsters or beatniks

at some point the hipsters started growing their hair a little longer and listened more to rock and roll than jazz
that bohemian alternative lifestyle was around, they just refined it a little more to their taste
>>
>>1331913
>Up to the start of 1964 early 60s society was the same as it was in the 50s

all those 1946 babies turned 18 in 1964.
big changes in demographics were taking place in the US. The baby boom.
>>
proliferation of cannabis
>>
>>1332035
This - boomers came of age, combined with widespread cynicism due to said assassination and the escalation in 'nam

Or an elaborate Judeo-Masonic-Bolshevik conspiracy
>>
A combination of a prosporus west that could afford to send its children to higher education, many without any real world experience to balance out ivory tower academics and an unwillingness to give up said luxury to fight in the jungle far away
>>
File: Red Pill.png (3 MB, 4622x3683) Image search: [Google]
Red Pill.png
3 MB, 4622x3683
>>1331913
>>
>>1331979
I think people overestimate the extent to which the 60s counterculture changed the world, especially the late 60s.
>>
File: Elitepoke.jpg (96 KB, 606x405) Image search: [Google]
Elitepoke.jpg
96 KB, 606x405
I wish my school would be so powerful as this meme one.
>>
>>1331913
Hatred of the draft, war, and the idea what their leaders could do to lead to the virtual destruction of all known things, and opposition to racism.
>>
File: do it faggot.jpg (20 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
do it faggot.jpg
20 KB, 1280x720
>>1332100
How many friends would you say you had?
>>
People had reliable disposable incomes; it was politically untenable to deny WWII vets access to competitive wages or conditions, or to an education, and so on.

It can never happen today because you are in debt the second you decide to attend college. When you can afford to pay for college without going to the state (the bank or the government), you are happier practising free speech when at college.

Look it up, half of all American families would have to take out a loan to survive an unexpected 400 dollar expense. This is the country that leads the world.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.