[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Christian prayer-word "Amen" and links to Egypt?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (164 KB, 631x850) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
164 KB, 631x850
I've heard vague rumors for years that this word traces back to the Sun God of Egypt: "Amun-Ra" or "Amen-Ra." All Internet sources seem heavily biased one way or another; there doesn't seem to be any reliable objective info...perhaps nobody knows.

There was a lot of cultural interchange sloshing around the Mediterranean when Christianity formed in late antiquity. Pseudo-Egyptian mystery cults were all the rage. Let's not forget that Christianity springs from Judaism and by their own traditions, Jews claim to have been slaves in Egypt for a long time. Some scholars go further and say the Jewish tribes were not "captured and brought to Egypt" but rather originated there as a splinter-group that migrated outward. In this case, would the word "Amen" be some vestige of Egyptoid solar worship?

Meanwhile, the Roman Emperor Constantine who was the first to convert to Christanity was previously a sun-worshipper (cult of "Sol Invictus," a sun God.) He would have been familiar with Egyptiain and mel-Egyptian concepts of solar dieties. Perhaps the inclusion of "Amen" refers to such a sun God and reflects ambivilence, misunderstanding, or straight-up esoteric retention of old deitity-worship "hdden in plain sight?"

Lotta different strands here. It's hard to know who to trust or what to believe. Personally I have no agenda or dog in this fight other than a curiosity to know the truth about this, one way or another.

Since its a highly-charged emotional issue I expect people to have strong views and biases on this, but for me it's just an interesting historico-religious enigma.
>>
>>1319259
no. Amen is from the Hebrew, literally "Amen". It's not an emotionally charged issue.
>>
Literally Zeitgeist-tier rumors. >>1319266 has it right.
>>
>>1319259
>Christian
Its literally in all Abrahamic shit prayers. It simply means "so be it.
>>
"Amen" is Hebrew for "indeed".
>>
It is from the Horite priesthood that the priesthood of Israel developed. Moses' two brothers, Korah and Aaron, were Horite priests before Judaism emerged as a distinct religion. Horite priests served in the temple in Jerusalem. 1 Chronicles 4:4 lists Hur (Hor) as the "father of Bethlehem". The author of Chronicles knew that Bethlehem was originally a Horite settlement

Horite belief in a deified son who would embody kindness and unite the peoples found fulfillment in Jesus Christ, a descendant of the Horite ruler-priests, the divine son of the Virgin Mary, daughter of the priest Joachim of the line of Nathan. Jesus Christ is the fulfillment of the promise made to Abraham's Horite ancestors in Eden (Gen. 3:15)
>>
File: Tealc2.jpg (24 KB, 525x450) Image search: [Google]
Tealc2.jpg
24 KB, 525x450
>>1319280
Amen, O'Neil
>>
>>1319266
>>1319280
>>1319277
get redpilled and watch Zeitgeist
>>
just a soothing word to calm the angry and jealous deity
>>
>>1320389
>even baiting with that trash

Kill yourself
>>
>>1320389
I have watched Zeitgeist. It's revisionist history. It's very poor.

Being "redpilled" should lead to substantiated truths, or at least demonstrable truths. I believe it's possible to be "redpilled", but Zeitgeist isn't this.
>>
File: tfw.gif (3 MB, 250x141) Image search: [Google]
tfw.gif
3 MB, 250x141
>>1320373
>>
>>1319495
Source?
Can't find anything about priests of horus or horites except this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horites
Wich doesnt say anything about moses or horus.

Ill watch zeitgeist tough.
>>1320701
Ill keep this in mind ofcourse.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.