[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rome history sources for study
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
Can you folks give me some sources for the study of Roman History. I am not looking now for major books on specific periods and happenings, but a larger and broader view of the whole. For example, I know that Gibbons work is quite detailed, but I do not want to study only the decline and fall in so much detail now – I want to know first a beginning-to-end full-cycle of Roman history, and only after that I pretend to specialize more.

So, what can you recommend on:

>books
>documentaries (even better if they are available on youtube)

Thank you.
>>
>>1311920

bump
>>
I can't think off the top of my head of any books that are about the complete history if Rome from its founding to its decline.. too much history there to provide a detailed account. Read Livy's Early History of Rome and all of his books for that matter. That's a good starting point.
>>
>>1312721
I forgot to mention there is A History of Rome to 565 A.D. by A.E.R. Boak. And it's free online too.
>>
The History of Rome podcast goes from the foundation myths of the city to the fall of the West in 476. There's also a Cambridge History of the Romans if you really prefer a book.

Are you interested in Eastern Roman history as well, or just the Classical Empire? If so, John Julius Norwich's three volume history is a perfect intro work. History of the Byzantine State if you want something more academic than entertaining.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.