[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do Muslims consider dogs to be "unclean"? I can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5
File: 24.jpg (633 KB, 850x567) Image search: [Google]
24.jpg
633 KB, 850x567
Why do Muslims consider dogs to be "unclean"? I can understand pigs, Jews also consider them unclean because, well, they are (we go the flu from domesticated boars). But dogs? I don't get it. Dogs are terrific, I love them!
>>
>>1301772
Because Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said they were unclean. He knew what was up. Rabies/flea infested mutts that should be wiped from the face of the earth
>>
File: isiscat2.jpg (41 KB, 591x591) Image search: [Google]
isiscat2.jpg
41 KB, 591x591
>>1301772
Because Muslims are cat people.
>>
>>1301781
Rabies has more to do with stray dogs, and having fleas doesn't make you unclean, that's like saying horses are unclean because flies bother them. Except fleas are a lot easier to purge

>>1301787
People who like cats but not dogs aren't loyal. I don't personally care for cats, but they're very useful in dealing with vermin.
>>
There's a verse in the Quran saying angels will refuse to enter one's house if it has dogs inside or something.
>>
>>1301815
Doesn't really explain why.
>>
>>1301835
Islam is irrational, don't bother.
>>
>>1301847
Most religious rules have some form of secular justification behind them. I mean, to be fair, aren't dogs dirty? They eat poop and lick their genitals.
>>
>>1301787
This convinced me more than a million /pol/ shitposts that Islam is evil.
>>
>>1301853
They do, but they don't spread illnesses to people like pigs do. This is because their mouths are very effective at fighting germs, much more so than human mouths. That is why, though they are almost universally used in a negative context or term of disparagement in the Bible, they were never considered unclean animals in religious law.
>>
>>1301853
>dogs are dirty
>hurr lets ban them
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 219x276) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 219x276
>>1301863
>he thinks Islam "bans" dogs
>>
From wikipedia:

In Islam, dogs are viewed as unclean because they are viewed as scavengers
>>
>>1301901
Stray ones.
>>
>>1301903
They view all dogs as scavengers
>>
>>1301903
confirmed for not having a dog.

Unless trained otherwise, dogs will usually eat any meat they can find at the speed of light.
>>
>>1301920
Including hunting dogs? Including, well, all ones that aren't strays?
>>
>>1301924
I do have a dog. He'll eat cooked meat lying around, but he won't eat something like roadkill or a dead bird.
>>
>>1301772
Dogs aren't haram. They just aren't allowed to be brought into our houses.
>>
>>1301772
To piss off the Zoroastrians whom considered dogs as the sacred guardians of heaven.
>>
>>1301925
yes
>>
>>1301983
Then why don't they consider cats unclean as well?
>>
>>1301983
>armchair imam

I have a hunting dog and I'm a hanibali.

It's halal as long as they aren't kept inside
>>
>>1301987
They can never come inside? Sounds sad.

>your dog will never curl up at the foot of your bed while you comfortably shitpost on a Rhodesian hide tanning forum before sleep
>>
>>1301802
>>1301859
but cats are qts anons
>>
>>1301772
Pigs are only unclean because we keep them in unclean places, hell they love getting a bath and staying clean, if you buy a pig the first place he take a shit will be his shitplace for the rest of his life, also they avoid the place like the plague until they need to take a shit again
>>
>>1301901
like the arabs of old then
>>
>>1301937
This I have a dog to, and while they might play with a death bird they would never eat one, yeah my golden retriever once killed an iguana and ate it afterwards but that's what dogs do
>>
>>1301987
Kek you should see Shafi'is, they really exaggerate. I was in Egypt where most people are Shafi'i and some people would change to pray if a dog even grazed them, petting them was also a no-no for most people. I hear in Malaysia where most are Shafi'i people are strict about it too.

I though Malikis were the most lenient by the way when it comes to dogs. Ramadan Mubarak and assalamu alaykum brother.
>>
>>1301924
that's most meat eating animals though. Even apex predators aren't above scavenging at the drop of a hat as long as the meat hasn't turned.
>>
>>1302137
Yeah, dogs are natural hunters, but they won't scavenge unless it's their only way to avoid starvation.
>>
>>1301853
So do cats.

OP - I'm convinced it's some pastoral-farmer conflict thing. Like Cain killing Abel story(I'm perfectly sure there were versions of it where Abel killed Cain) from OT.
>>
>>1301772
It's weird because most dogs hate muslims just as much, ditto for pigs.

>yfw standing in a pig pen as a muslim walks by
>>
>>1301787
Catbir
>>
>>1301772
They don't tho.
My mom prays 5 times a day and my father is at least nominally a muslim. We(they) have had, at total, 6 dogs. Some sects might refuse dogs inside a house, but there isn't anything against dogs, at least in Hanafi mazhab.
>>
>>1302711
>The majority of Muslim jurists consider dogs to be ritually unclean, though jurists from the Sunni Maliki school disagree.[30]
>>
Muhammad(pbuh) was more a cat kind of guy
>>
>>1301772
Only Arabs seemed to mind.

In Persia, Southeast Asia & Turkdom, Muslims kept dogs. The latter two largely because they were hunter-gatherers for a long time.

Pic related, the Xuande Emperor of Ming China painted this picture of his two Salukis received as gifts from Islamic (Turkic) Potentates.
>>
>>1302733
>ritually unclean
This would just mean that you would not be allowed to continue your namaz (5-times thing) with a dog in the same room, and that contacting a dog would break your abdest (some kind of cleaning thing).
In comparison, a man and a woman is also not allowed to do the namaz in the same room. Ritually unclean does not mean the people are to keep away from dogs.
>>
>Its another anglo scum Islam hate circlejerk thread

I kinda like it desu, may you be eternally butthurt
>>
>>1302750
It's actually been fairly informative. I thought Muslims had much harsher views towards dogs than they seem to. That being said I hope you people get crusaded again.
>>
Jews have the same complex towards dogs, although it isn't in their scripture, they still view them as filthy animals that goyim love. I think this is yet another way in which Jews wanted to distinguish themselves from the gentiles around them. The greeks in particular have always had respect for the noble dog.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is the root reason for Muslims as well.
>>
>>1301815
thats because their "angels" are afraid of based dogs
>>
>>1301987
That sounds horrible.
>>
>>1301772
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it could be referencing eating of dog? The chinese had some dog breeds specifically for eating so that might have been practiced in arabia when mohammad was doing his thang.

Probably just religious nonsense that has no basis in fact though
>>
>>1301772
And puppers taste yum
>>
File: saudi pepe.jpg (51 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
saudi pepe.jpg
51 KB, 420x420
>>1301772
Not all muslims do,only those who blindly follow every hadith,there are a lot (keyword here is a lot,not all) who do not care about that one hadith who started the whole thing,dogs are very popular in a lot of islamic countrys.

>>1301815
>In the quran
Wrong,this dogs are unclean meme can only be found in hadiths.
>>
>>1301853
>Most religious rules have some form of secular justification behind them

Do they really?

I'm not sure if I agree with that statement at all, because religions laws are almost always justified by divine command.

Just because you as a 21st century person can inject secular meaning in to a religious rule, doesn't mean that is actually true.
>>
>>1301772
Muslims commonly use them as guard dogs, not as pets though.
>>
>>1301772
Probably because some dogs are willing to literally eat shit
>>
It was because the conquered people's (persians, Christians, etc) all had dogs in their homes. Zoroastrians especially considered dogs the guardians of heaven.

The dogs were used for hunting as well as protection. So when riots occurred or the Muslim invaders entered their properties.......they would attack. An excellent weapon against the original Arab invaders who had little experience with them. Arabia never domesticated dogs on the same level as the other civilizations.

This is especially true for persia.

Removing dogs was the equivalent of modern gun control.
>>
I believe it to be a arabic thing, like shoes being dirty and disrespectful to show shoe sole etc.
As far as I know quran doesnt go against any animal, as in "this is dirty and bad". Most modern stuff we see as islamic is usually beliefs thats how the prophet lived and arabs try to imitate him.
>>
>>1303765
This doesn't make them unclean to humans though, as in more likely of carrying diseases, since a dog's mouth is much more effective than a human's at fighting bacteria. In fact, if you Frenchkissed a random dog, you'd be much less likely to get a sickness than if you Frenchkissed a random person.
>>
>>1301976
This t.b.h

Also believe it or not islam is not a desert religion but an urban one. Those who got to say what was unclean and what wasn't would've lived in big cities where the archetypical dogs are those shitty rabid street dogs.

Sheperds are allowed and encouragedd to have dogs as long as the animal is not allowed to enter home (which should be common sense).
>>
>>1302129
>buy pig
>bring him home
>play with him at bed
>shits himself in excitement
>pig proceeds to shit in your bed all day everyday
>>
>>1302749
Not to mention that people ignores that shit all time. I've seen men praying with women present. In fact it was the mother and the sister and they were watching TV while the guy was praying (apparently it's okay to do the praying before if you will be driving or something when you should pray).
>>
>>1305412
They have bars in Iran for fuck's sake and one of the districts in Saudi Arabia is infamous for gay hook ups. People forget that Muslims are human too and often play fast and loose with their religion.
>>
>>1305419
Both of these things are illegal in the respective country though.

I seriously doubt it's illegal to pray with your mom in the saloon or to have a dog in any of them.
>>
My totally unfounded opinion is that prior to modern times, most dogs in society would've been unkempt strays that served little purpose to society at large (other than the few purpose-bred hunting dogs for nobles) and as a result were looked down upon as "dirty" and "useless."

Of course, to our modern sensibilities, such a view makes little sense, but that's probably where it comes from.
>>
The Quran itself tells the story of the People of the Cave, all religious, and they were traveling alongside a dog.
>>
>>1301772
They are considered ritually unclean animals in the same way that pigs are. Meaning you can't eat them.

From the idea that they are ritually unclean however, there came a unislamically-based cultural meme (in the literal sense of the term) that even touching a dog (and/or being in contact with its saliva) renders you ritually unclean (thus you have to do the ritual ablutions before you can pray) - and this extended to people just not liking dogs. This was also compounded by a hadith (not sure of the grade or exact wording) that suggested that black dogs are demons, and by extension people did not like any dogs by association with black dogs. Another contributing hadith (again, I don't know the authenticity grade) is one that says that an angel will not visit the house of a person who has a dog, so this furthered the idea that dogs are bad/evil.
>>
>>1301815
>There's a line in a Hadith
FTFY
>>
>>1301787
>The cat to the left
You can see the fear in his eyes... He knows he's about to die in a suicide bombing...
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.