[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any philosophy that can't be described as "pretentious"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: groper.png (2 MB, 1817x1311) Image search: [Google]
groper.png
2 MB, 1817x1311
Is there any philosophy that can't be described as "pretentious"?

Is "pretentiousness" the essence of philosophical thought?
>>
Most philosophies are fine, it's the "philosophers" that are pretentious.
>>
Cheese and friends.
>>
Things are only pretentious to idiots who can't understand what's going on.
>>
>>1301462
>I don't know what pretentious means.
>>
File: b1f.png (649 KB, 492x692) Image search: [Google]
b1f.png
649 KB, 492x692
>>1301462
Pragmatism
>>
File: peirce tsundere.png (183 KB, 297x504) Image search: [Google]
peirce tsundere.png
183 KB, 297x504
>>1301512
Pragmatism is god-tier. Cartesians can go fuck themselves.
>>
>>1301512

>as long as it works.

I see what you did there.
>>
>>1301462
Yes. Only nerds want to understand stuff.
>>
I find your question to be far more pretentious than any philosophy.
>>
Pretentious is trying to be profound when nothing you are saying is.

If the philosophy makes sense and has a logic to it it's fine
When a person is trying to throw around a bunch of "smart people words" despite it not making a lick of sense, and saying "they just don't understand because they aren't smart" just cements it. Real philosophy is something that can make sense to anyone (whether or not they agree with it).
>>
>>1301462
well, i guess the only pretentious philosophy is that if you do practice philosophy, and you consider yourself better simply because you practice it, then that would fit the bill i guess?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.