[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the role of religion in modern life If we get past the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: An Old Scholar.jpg (92 KB, 800x560) Image search: [Google]
An Old Scholar.jpg
92 KB, 800x560
What is the role of religion in modern life
If we get past the theist/atheist/agnostic dilemmas?
Do you think it would be correct to say that religious books are viable sources of criticism?
As i see it, the questions we ask today are the same ones our ancestors asked, only perhaps more nuanced and specific.
Every topic has been stretched and became detailed.
Religious writings, as wholesome all inclusive aggregates of primordial world views can be a source of criticism of modern and contemporary ideas and descisions.
Post modernism opened the road for people to view the past not as a lesser source of knowledge but as a general and more concentrated source of knowledge.
A religious that embraces all change and gives its oppinion on it.
A non dogmatic all embracing religious perspective.

A religious criticism of science.
A religious criticism of shovinism.
A religious criticism of corporations.
A religious criticism of globalization.
And so on and on and on.

Maybe we need an expansion of religious ideas and criticisms about all aspects of life..
Religious criticism that has absorbed all the changes and elaborations and advances in all other areas of life and is open, broadened and evolving..
>>
No one has an oppinion on the matter?
>>
>>1299552
The role of religion today is the same as it ever was. To control and manipulate gullable people.
>>
Read the Irrational Atheist
>>
>>1299750
But gullible people, or rather people who have other interests besides thinking about religion and religious meaning and interpretation will always exist. In fact they tend to exist not more than before as society splits people into more and more specific and narrow roles.
You are always manipulated. There is no espace form ideology.
Religious writing has the strength to be a source of criticsm of all changing aspects of life since religious texts are anciant and encapsulate general ideas and worldviews and connects them with human behaviour and group structures.
It does so not in a mathematical and specific way but in many literary forms, more and less direct.
It is a bedrock of interpretation and reinterpretation of human life and existence.
>>
>>1299755
Why if it seems to be in the exact same spirit of what i wrote in my OP.
>>
>>1299782
Its power also lies in its unique status since it cannot be repeated today. It was for our ancestors as valueable in practice as modern science is to us.
and modenr science is not some magical new phenomena but an extension of previous human interactions with the world.
The importance of anciant texts is in their historical place as all encapsulating anciant world views on which our modenr lives are based, now and probably forever.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.