[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How historically accurate is this game? I'm sorry. I know
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 216
Thread images: 27
File: Battlefield1_Reveal_02.0.jpg (115 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Battlefield1_Reveal_02.0.jpg
115 KB, 1920x1080
How historically accurate is this game?

I'm sorry. I know this isn't really /his/ territory, but the amount of shit that (we know) they've put in so far is baffling.

I'll give you a few run downs:
>Black Germans
>France is not a playable faction
>Fricking assault rifles. Automatic and the whole shebang.

Just... why...
>>
It's a videogame not a textbook they can do whatever inane bullshit they want to pander to as much people possible to make as much money as possible. Anybody with their panties in a twist over Battlefield 1 being historically inaccurate has severe autism.
>>
>>1293395
t. Never played a Battlefield game
>>
>>1293399
So why aren't they pandering to the french?
Shoving literally the biggest player in WW1 into some shitty DLC later on is fucking shit, no matter how you cut it.
>>
>>1293399
believe it or not. historical accuracy can make a difference in how one enjoys a product. there's only so much deviation from actual events I can take before I can no longer get into something. and that's without mentioning how historical inaccuracy are flat-out insults, spitting on, what actually happened and who was involved.
>>
>>1293395
>How historically accurate is this game?

It's not, at all, nor need it be. Video games are entertainment made to appeal to specific demographics. Liberties are taken with gameplay and game mechanics in order to make a casual fast paced shooter demanded by these demographics. As WW1 is such an early setting these liberties are considerably more pronounced than games based on more modern conflicts.

The best you can hope for is that the game sparks an interest in WW1 with people who would otherwise remain ignorant of it.

Please stop making these threads every day.
>>
>>1293409
>So why aren't they pandering to the french?

Nobody plays Battlefield for the single player content.

>>1293413
>historical accuracy can make a difference in how one enjoys a product. there's only so much deviation from actual events I can take before I can no longer get into something.

You're a minority then. Realistic war games have been tried before and they never attract the kind of numbers a company like Dice/EA would need to justify its production. Crowd funding is probably the only way such a game would be made.
>>
>>1293423
>Crowd funding is probably the only way such a game would be made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYHpa10WCW4
>>
>>1293395
> A ww2 game features Russians with American weapons, the Japanese using German weapons, 1/4 of all all Allied troops having bazookas, one person can drive a tank all by themselves and JETPACKS
> No one cares
> A ww1 game in the same franchise have black germans, assault rifles, and don't have any content covering France
> "Whoa man that's just a little bit too unrealistic"
>>
>>1293417
They won't, I've had to repeat this myself and it does nothing. Nobody paid any attention. Their intention is to shitpost.

Though on a lighter note, why don't we speculate some historically accurate game play mechanics for funsies. Instead of griping about muh black involvement, we can chat about why they're accurate and if they'd make enjoyable play.

How can you make trench warfare fun? Anyone here try Ace of Spades back before it went to shit?
>>
>>1293435
Well what do you expect from this or any other shithole
>>
>>1293395
>>1293404

A few years back Battlefield fanboys were caling out CoD fanboys on how inaccurate their game is. Oh how the tables have turned.
>>
>>1293417
Do you know Paradox Interactive? They make historicaly accurate complex stretegies like eu4 or ck2
>>
File: Girls.png (490 KB, 449x401) Image search: [Google]
Girls.png
490 KB, 449x401
>>1293452
>historicaly accurate
>>
>>1293423
>Nobody plays Battlefield for the single player content.
What does that have to do with not including the fucking french in a game about WW1?
They even have french tanks for fucks sake.
>>
File: 1430118483775.jpg (35 KB, 377x527) Image search: [Google]
1430118483775.jpg
35 KB, 377x527
>>1293452
>>
>>1293444
>A few years back Battlefield fanboys were caling out CoD fanboys on how inaccurate their game is.
It gets even funnier when one of the main praises of the original CoD was how historically accurate it was, compared to BF1942 and MoH.
>>
>>1293519
Its all circles and shit

RIP Medal of Honor
>>
>Australian Aboriginals made up 0.2% of Australian Forces (0.1% of ANZAC forces)
>They're featured in Battlefield 1

Why not just stick a big sticker on the game cover declaring that the entire point of the game is to shove minorities into every army? The only acceptable minorities you can put in a WW1 game is Indians and Arabs
>>
>>1293452

Hard to compare PC strategy games to the console-bro action FPS genre, the market is ten times as big.

>>1293460

Aside from weapon loadouts and map objectives, the factions aren't all that significant in BF multiplayer.

I actually thought the main character being from the Harlem Hellfighters was a smart choice. The unit was assigned to the French army as part of the French 16th Division. They wore French helmets, and fought with French weapons. You get to pander to an American audience with an American character while seeing a more authentic view of WW1 by fighting with the French.
>>
>>1293546
>Aside from weapon loadouts and map objectives, the factions aren't all that significant in BF multiplayer.

This makes it even more mindboggling why they wouldn't make them the actual major players instead of shit like fucking Italy.
>>
>>1293395
I honestly don't care about most of what people are bitching about. After all, they have to make it fun for people,and they don't want to alienate low-attention-span kids. I get that. But what pisses me off to no end is the "black Germans". That's just going too fucking far. That's not gameplay, that's pushing some bull-shit anti-white agenda, and I'll have none of it.
>>
>>1293597
>Not wanting to play Lettow-Vorbeck's East Africa Campaign and hold remain undefeated against 20 to 1 odds
>>
>>1293676

He became great friends with the British officers he fought after the war. Truly a gentleman.
>>
It's a video game, video games make cheap thrillers look like literature. It's like the 300 of WWI.
>>
Reminder to be a kind soul and sign this petition.

https://www.change.org/p/russian-empire-and-france-in-battlefield-1?tk=cK1tGi2PRkkwPUkKFeeI9WQKC_fHsV28Mu_YvWI1Zz8&utm_medium=email&utm_source=signature_receipt&utm_campaign=new_signature
>>
>>1293713

Jan Smuts fed his former enemy. It's beautiful.
>>
>IT'S A VIDEO GAEM IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE ACCURATE
No, it doesn't, but they could try to make it more like WW1 than simply a reskin of BF4. They're not even attempting to.
>>
File: 1463026652387.jpg (216 KB, 960x879) Image search: [Google]
1463026652387.jpg
216 KB, 960x879
>>1293597
I'm with this guy.
>>
>who cares if this game isn't accurate

Are people this bereft of knowledge of how youngsters are influenced by the media? For many an American, this'll be the only exposure that'll ever open to WW1, and I don't count on living in a world where Americans have to berate over me the fact that "erm France did nothing in the war, and actually black Americans and women had to save them" just because a videogame told them so.

Et merde quoi.
>>
>>1293597
i don't know anything about the game and about how the "black german" thing is implemented but there definitely were africans fighting for Germany in WW1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Askari#German_colonies
>>
>>1293731

>Are people this bereft of knowledge of how youngsters are influenced by the media? For many an American, this'll be the only exposure that'll ever open to WW1

Idk. I played Finest Hour as a kid and all that did was get me extremely interested in WW2 to go out of my way to read and watch about it. I was intelligent enough at the age of 10-11 to distinguish a video game a reality. Dude every orher day theres a "what video game got you into history" thread and half the posters laugh at the inaccuracies in the games. Maybe in your country or state people are retarded enough to think this is an accurate depiction of history and not a video game.
>>
>>1293736
"For Germany" is a world away from "in Germany".

Similar to how people conflate "African troops fighting for France" with "African troops fighting in France".
>>
>>1293399
>It's a game so it's supposed to be shit!

The fact is for an entire generation, this will be the only thing they know WW1 by.
>>
>>1293736
We know that and I think it has already pointed out. The problem is "afro-germans" being depicted on the western front.
I don't think anyone would complain fighting with the based Askari in Eastern Africa, but having every second German being a colonial on the western front is retarded, and panders to afrocentrists.
>>
>>1293740
There were French African troops in France.

Its the German Askaris who were stuck in Africa with Vorbeck.
>>
>>1293395

>yfw you'll never get to play as Eugene Bullard or experience his career
>yfw you'll never get to play as Willy Coppens and removing Kraut by destroying a balloon meant to kill you
>yfw you'll never be an Askari under von Lettow-Vorbeck or a British soldier under Jan Smuts
>yfw you'll never be a pilot on board the HMS Furious sortieing against Kraut Zepplins

Fucking DICE, you could have made a beautiful WW1 game.
>>
>>1293738
>Maybe in your country or state people are retarded enough to think this is an accurate depiction of history and not a video game.
Probably not in my country, because it's hammered incessantly into our brains how much we suffered throughout WW1, but in other countries where children won't be as insightful as to what occurred in WW1 since there might not be such heavy focus on that era, I don't think it's impossible either that those kids will extract their entire knowledge of WW1 from this game.

I mean, polls will tell you that 49% of Americans think they were the nation most responsible for vanquishing germans in WW1. This is the extent of their knowledge of WW1, so why would it inconceivable that they'll eat up what this game tells them, without filtering out the game's lies if they don't know any better.
>>
>>1293731
No, they won't think that, because if a videogame is their only explosure to WW1 they clearly don't give a single fuck about the war nor will they bother taking part in conversations about the war and will have forgotten about WW1 as soon as the next CoD game is released.

Do you think Saving Private Ryan was harmful for kids as well since it was a WW2 movie that only bothered to show the western front, or is that another war American kids aren't taught?
>>
What I'm interested in finding out is will the Ottomans become the #1 multiplayer shitter squad.
>>
>>1293748

http://www.historicalfirearms.info/post/102045742424/french-colonial-troops-during-the-first-world-war

Those numbers have been vastly exaggerated, although it is true that some were disseminated across the front, but most Senegalese fighters were stationed in the colonies, especially since french colonies bordered german Cameroon and Togoland.

I mean, how would it even be conceivable that the french navy dispatch those 170,000 troops to France, when you see the hassle it was for even americans to bring their 100,000 troops to France.

Also, for the 170,000 algerian troops, those were mostly ethnic frenchman (pieds-noirs) though we somehow minimize that they were mostly french troops, because we have to be excessively nice and kind to Algeria these days, to compensate for our cruelty as colonial masters apparently.
>>
>only 64 players

Time to go back to Warband
>>
>>1293764
>when you see the hassle it was for even americans to bring their 100,000 troops to France.
???
they shipped thousands of soldiers daily
there was about a million americans in france halfway through 1918
and about two million by the end of the war
>>
File: 20160616015445_1.jpg (209 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160616015445_1.jpg
209 KB, 1920x1080
>>1293750
You do realise Verdun exists? An authentic, accurate WW1 game with back and forth trench warfare.
This is me looking through binoculars at the enemy trench, those players have set up an MG nest so i called a mortar strike on it.
>>
File: 1465937681926.png (371 KB, 400x484) Image search: [Google]
1465937681926.png
371 KB, 400x484
>>1293452
>He fell for the Johan "Believable Worlds" Anderson meme
>>
>>1293775
Sure, but France's navy didn't have that similar luxury of navigating where they so pleased, especially in the hell they were suffering where shipping armament from the United States was privileged much further than shipping colonial troops over.

Besides, France's navy in WW1 was mainly confined to the Mediterranean, as had been asserted in the agreement with Britain wherein it was chosen that the Royal Navy would safeguard the waters of the North Sea and the Atlantic while France would engage Austro-Hungarian and Ottoman ships in the Mediterranean. So I don't really see how they could've spared too many ships to journey to and fro from Senegal to Ypres.

As I've said, the accounts of colonial troops were vastly exaggerated later on for us to distinguish ourselves as the good democratic power that was nice to blacks (etc...) while Germany had been tyrannical and racist for not employing African troops.
>>
France lost, Anglos won. And the Anglos decided to use their power to erase France from history.

France will be forgotten. Get over it.
>>
>>1293818
To be fair, we triumph either way.

France wins, we win.

Our spiritual son, England wins, we win.

There's no way for the Anglo to escape this and it will plague him till the end of days :^).
>>
>>1293818
>WW1
>France lost
/his :DD:D:DD
>>
>>1293826
lol nobody considers England France's son. England's French past has already been erased and forgotten long ago.
>>
>>1293830
I mean France lost the culture war, the only war that matters in the end.

Which means it might as well have lost WW1, just like it lost every other war ever (lol surrender monkeys), since that's how it will be remembered.
>>
>>1293833
You sure?
>>
>>1293833
Spoken like a true upstart rebellious child.

Don't you fret England. For every bruise Scotland inflicts on you, you can come back to cuddle against your papa, which happens to be us.

How does it feel to share the same status that Quebec has in being our offspring too? D'you like being on their level?
>>
>>1293840
What's that, some Latin shit or whatever that nobody even reads?

But yeah they should probably change that, I'm guessing it will happen eventually.
>>
>>1293840
There's also "Honi soit qui mal y pense" which remains their mascot hah!
>>
>>1293835
England didn't win the culture war either, it probably lost harder than anyone on the count being English-speaking opens it up to unrestrained floods of American culture.
>>
>>1293826
>Our spiritual son, England wins, we win.
Er no
>>
>>1293844
Yeah, when the monarchy is abolished and France's final victory over Anglo perfidery is cemented.
>>
>>1293777

I know Verdun exists.

I just want to play as a balloon buster or removing zepplins from a WW1 aircraft carrier. Is that so much to ask?
>>
>>1293841
See history has been rewritten so hard that even though you may be right about England being a former French colony, when you point it out you just sound like a pathetically delusional pompous frenchie, and 99.9% of the world would mock you for talking such obvious pretentious nonsense.
>>
>>1293855
>1830
>against the monarchy

Wew copain.
>>
>>1293846
And? The fact remains that the world speaks English, that American culture is strongly influenced by English culture (in particular in its attitude towards France), and that even England enjoys disproportionate cultural influence thanks to its language dominating the world.

Just look at how England and America alike portray history. Everything up to American independence, from the Middle Ages to colonialism, is all about England. After that, through the 19th century and the world wars until today, it's shared between England and America. France? lol, just that worthless comic relief character at best.
>>
>>1293862
We french care only for what God knows of us, and could hardly be bothered that petty humans squiny at us.

And God knows the objective truth there is in history, so in being the world's most relevant country for 400 years, we will have convinced him to model Heaven after France. Hope you're not too surprised when you die and you realize that Heaven is merely a perfected France!

But otherwise, you're right. The perfidious Albion is such a cunning one.
>>
>>1293855
Republicanism is attributed to America, not France.
>>
>>1293872
>having to console yourself with fairy tales
So sad.
>>
>>1293863
The radicals were against the monarchy, but like always middle-class plebs had to compromise.
>>
>>1293877
Ayyyy middle class pride!

Love being average!
>>
>>1293870
Yes, American culture features England. But ultimately? It's all about the USA.

No one gives a fuck about Brits when it comes to any war they and America were in. Like WW2, or WW1.

>England enjoys disproportionate cultural influence thanks to its language dominating the world.
It enjoys access to the Anglophone world. But ultimately this just amounts to teenage SJW's watching Doctor Who whilst US culture absolutely blows Bonglanders out of the water in the Anglophone world.
>>
>>1293876
It's true! I swear!

Oh but wait. You'll not ever lay eyes on Heaven for me to prove to that, since God will sentence you to purgatory for following a religion litterally invented by a fat man that needed to get his dick wet by another women.

So sad. There'll be no Englishmen in sight to banter with in Heaven.
>>
File: Robespierre.jpg (562 KB, 939x1190) Image search: [Google]
Robespierre.jpg
562 KB, 939x1190
>>1293873
But the greatest republican in history was French.
>>
>>1293896
This kills the Vendéen royaliste.
>>
>>1293893
>Being Catholic
>Being Christian
>Being religious
>>
>>1293891
The whole world watches things like Downton Abbey, learning to know and love early 20th century English culture and society (complete with yet another example of WW1 portrayed from the British perspective btw). What does anyone know about France? Nothing beyond what Anglos deign to put in their own cultural productions, and which is usually just mockery.

And why does it matter why Americans do it? The fact is they still portray everything from the English perspective. England will be remembered as the greatest nation of the past thousand years, as the very embodiment of Western civilisation, right up until America comes to take its place.
>>
>>1293896
Nobody knows who that is. But everybody knows George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin etc.
>>
>>1293913
>Downton Abbey
Literally who?
> learning to know and love early 20th century English culture and society
Nigga I couldn't tell you shit about Britain in the 21st century.
>What does anyone know about France?
That it's awesome and full of sexy people.

>The fact is they still portray everything from the English perspective
Think you mean an American perspective.
>>
>>1293913
What amazes me though, is that despite the mockery that Britain afflicts on France with every opportunity they have, the world still deludes itself that France is the country of culture, refinement, luxury, litterature, cuisine, architecture, fashion, and art.

You can't expect to stump with one decade's worth of french bashing the amazement it once had for France, and for this to completely shut-down that entire generations have been insidiously taught to associate France with intellectuality.

I mean, there's a reason that people still converse in french rather than english to portray themselves as erudite.

In time you might stump us Albion, but for now, I'd say that were still on equal terms.

Don't worry about it though. Our Muslims are sure to drain France's reputation down the shitter.
>>
>>1293916
As American separatists. Not as republicans that wanted to end monarchy in the UK.
>>
>>1293925
the amazement the world once had*
>>
How Western nations will be remembered:

- The heroes of history:
Britain and America, as father and son

- The badass villains:
Germany and Russia

- Honourable mentions:
Italy for art, food, and culture, and Spain/Portugal for having left their mark on Latin America

- Other countries that will be remembered for having contributed to building America as immigrant communities, bringing their cultures and traditions with them:
Ireland, Poland, Norway, Scotland, Greece... pretty much everyone except France to be honest

- The irrelevant comic relief surrender monkey
lolfrance
>>
>>1293933
My ancestors died for this. Heh.

Anyone know of painless suicide methods?
>>
File: 6ujhy5t4v.jpg (60 KB, 500x495) Image search: [Google]
6ujhy5t4v.jpg
60 KB, 500x495
>>1293933
>Britain and America, as father and son

The future will be made up of Hetalia LARPers. Who would have guessed?
>>
>>1293933
> The irrelevant comic relief surrender monkey
Why France produce so much butt pain in anglo-saxons?
>>
>>1293938
They are very ashamed of French conquest and total corruption of their language. As well as their inability to ever beat France at anything.
>>
>>1293941
This delusion.

Admittedly this may have been the original motivation for France-bashing, but by now the revisionism has worked so well that nobody remembers any of that, whether Anglo or not Anglo. France is now that faggy pretentious country that always hoped to equal Anglo awesomeness, but pathetically failed every time.
>>
>>1293395
Don't forget that Russian's aren't playable either.
You know, "progressive" Bioware should really worry about another Savior Americans game
>>
File: nick-young-confused-face.jpg (40 KB, 505x431) Image search: [Google]
nick-young-confused-face.jpg
40 KB, 505x431
>>1293944
>Anglo awesomeness
>>
>>1293944
> Anglo awesomeness
Between Germany, England and France, France is the most relevant one today. Nice to meme of your glorified empires of the past while being the nothing today guys.
>>
>>1293951
Oh wow, are you serious?

England has cultural relevance, and Germany rules the EU and has the most economic relevance. France is a joke, a German/American colony and nothing more.
>>
File: tumblr_n8dd8ljRiW1tsf68ao1_400.gif (2 MB, 399x258) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n8dd8ljRiW1tsf68ao1_400.gif
2 MB, 399x258
>>1293955
>Cultural relevance
This is news to me.

>France is a joke
France is the shit.
>>
>>1293969
I expected that pic to be a normal scene in France.
>>
File: image.gif (987 KB, 229x176) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
987 KB, 229x176
>He plays games that aren't historic GSG
>>
File: leave.jpg (20 KB, 479x398) Image search: [Google]
leave.jpg
20 KB, 479x398
>>1293948
Leave England alone!
>>
File: laughing argive.jpg (3 KB, 125x93) Image search: [Google]
laughing argive.jpg
3 KB, 125x93
>>1293452
>They make historicaly accurate complex stretegies like eu4 or ck2
>>
>>1293870
>American culture is strongly influenced by English culture (in particular in its attitude towards France)

Hmmm nope
British culture used to respect the French as much as it hated them
Mocking and despising them is purely American, but Brits have been so heavily exposed to American culture these last 60 years they eventually came to believe it was their own
>>
>>1293395
There are no black Germans on the western front in the game. You are making assumptions.
>>
>>1293399
Literally this. Getting upset over shit like this is like getting upset over Tonka toy trucks because they don't accurately represent the engineering of a proper truck.
It's Fucking pathetic.
>>
>>1294996
You don't see how some people might be upset about France being completely erased from popular historical perception?
>>
>>1295016
Stop crying about France ffs. They're obviously going to include them in a DLC and they just did it to make history fanatics like you more likely of buying it because the fact it's not included triggers you all so much.
>>
>>1293437
>HURR ACCURATE GAMES CAN NEVER BE FUN

Have you ever played RO2 or Verdun? Even if the latter suffered from a low budget it had huge potential and the former is still a great and successful game. This stupid meme that games cannot in any way be accurate or else no one will buy them needs to die.
>>
>>1295200
I'm not going to play that game, and it's not about that, it's about the huge influence it will have on popular perception.
>>
>>1295016
>>1295200
But it's a good point. France should be there. If anything America should be the DLC. That would make a killing.
>>
>>1295239
This.

France is enough of a joke due to WW2 without erasing their immense contribution in WW1.
>>
>>1293395

I mean they had automatic weapons in ww1, the MP18 and the Beretta OVP and m1918 to name a few
>>
>>1295262
>immense contribution in WW1

>getting memed on now an "immense contribution"
>>
>>1295239
>popular perception
The people who learn their history from Battlefield games are the same people who were never going to be very knowledgeable on the subject anyway.
>>
>>1295285
>they aren't going to be experts so their knowledge means nothing to society
That's dumb and you should feel dumb.
>>
>>1293395
It's politically correct to the max. The protagonist in the single player is a black man - druring the WW1 the only blacks that were in the US Army were janitors, there were no black American soldiers during that time.
>>
>>1295285
So, 90% of people?
Mainstream history is what counts in the end
>>
>>1295301
Not an argument kiddo.
It's likely that they would have known very little about WW1 anyway apart from the fact that "it happened". At least the game night at least cultivate the curiosity in people who play it to learn more about the war and actually study it a bit.
>>
>>1295328
>Mainstream history is what counts in the end
In what way?
>>
>>1293399
but this wasn't the question OP asked, so stop posting
>>
>>1295339
>seriously thinks public perception of history has no impact on anything
Seriously, you are dumb.
>>
>>1295426
Again with the none arguments. Come back when you can actually formulate something to defend yourself with. Until then don't waste your time.
>>
>>1295441
Defend what? I've been greentexting your claim for you and waiting for you to state it yourself just so you recognize how absurd the claim is.
>>
>>1293452
Realism isnt an argument
t. podcat
>>
>>1295449
I can tell you win a lot of internet arguments.
>>
>>1295461
I can tell you are probably a misanthrope for thinking that the understanding of history has no impact on the world and that you don't actually care about being right so much as you care about being not-wrong by how you keep dancing around the core of the issue.

State it. State that you believe that you don't believe the popular perception of history has any impact on the world.
>>
>>1295461
If he'll not be bound to an appropriate discussion, then fine I'll heave upon myself to convince that the game will be damaging by warping how the war is commemorated by unknowneagable masses.

The dangers with how the masses might perceive history is that they're the ones that'll will be most heard when history has to be taught to the newer generation. In the end, those deluded by the narrative this game presents will rise exponentially because they'll teach their children and friends to conceive WW1 that way. There's a reason for why "american won WW2" has prevailed exponentially amidst the masses: this is quite litterally how children are now told to think about the war, by their parents that were fooled by mere propaganda movies disseminating lies in the script, and smudging this narrative that America did everything.

If you seriously can't imagine how BF1 will entail the same for how the First World War will be remembered, then all I have to say is that you're really quite estranged to how dumb and easily manipulated people are, and especially how they see history. Though it might also mean that you cherish hope that the average person is above that.
>>
>>1295504
himself*
>>
File: laughing_liberators.jpg (23 KB, 273x252) Image search: [Google]
laughing_liberators.jpg
23 KB, 273x252
>>1293452
>>
>>1293395
Not very historically accurate, but the game was always marketed as alt-history.
>>
>>1295339
And now they will think they know about WW1.
>>
>>1296125
They probably WILL know more about WW1 than they previously did. So that's nice.
>>
>>1293395

Just saw the trailer, it looks like the most disgusting thing ever. Then again I've never been a fan of battlefield but it triggers my history autism.

>everyone running around and shooting each other like its Halo
>>
File: yohan spurdo.jpg (90 KB, 731x496) Image search: [Google]
yohan spurdo.jpg
90 KB, 731x496
>>1293452
t. Johan
>>
>>1293395
If you know it's historically inaccurate, why are you asking us? We already know it's not historically accurate but they can make a game as inaccurate or as accurate as they want. It happens with movies all the time.
>>
>>1293524
makes me laugh because France was the only allied power that made heavy use of African troops and even invited Black Americans to come over and fight, may of whom settled in Paris afterwards

but apparently FUCKING FRANCE isn't included
makes me so angry
>>
all BF1 makes me want is a decent Ace-of-Spades-like game.

(not build and shoot, nor the Jagex version).

>probably something with an engine like Space-engineers has.

there's also a ww1 Red Orchestra 2 mod with a few maps.
>>
>>1297161
>space-engineers style mesh-voxel terrain.
>with multiple soil types so digging under the map is harder/more time consuming.
>simplified vehicle physics(and) so they don't "CLANG" and can have 64+ players online.
>multiple terrain generators that create different styles of terrain, (so you can have multiple [randomized maps with standard features] rather than just 1 as Ace of Spades ClassicGen has).

also there's WW1 source, a source-based ww1 multiplayer shooter.
>>
>>1297161
>>1297190
Suddenly I want tunnel warfare in BF1, like with a destrucible map shit, where when a certain event happens TNT in the center of the map explodes creating a huge crater, or there is a breakthrough underground and two competing tunnel networks become linked.
>>
>>1293395
>>France is not a playable faction
Wait, what? Are they completely retarded? Are they not aware that the French had second highest casualties overall (after Russians) and second highest per capita casualties (after the Serbs)? French are integral part of pre ww1, ww1 and the interwar period.

Also, as someone that wants to play German soldier charging the dirty frogs for the Kaiser und Vaterland, it's million times less exciting if there are no frogs to kill.
>>
>>1293775
>there was about a million americans in france halfway through 1918
You're saying that as if there were American soldiers in France prior to that. Summer 1918 is the first offensive Americans participated in and, all together, Americans actually fought in the war for five or so months.

But, no, we must put in fucking Americans for the 12 year olds because MURICA but fuck the French and the Russians that actually fought throughout the entire war and died by the millions in the war.

Fuck everything about this game.
>>
>>1295383
Because 99% of the people don't care to educate themselves about history so history, as its portrayed in the movies and games, is all they know.
>>
>>1293916
since when does nobody know who robespierre is
>>
>>1293395
>how historically accurate is this game that hasn't come out yet
That is a good question. I'll get back to you after it comes out.
>>
>>1297190
There was this indie experimental WW1 game (browser-based i think) where you play as a german soldier after a massive battle/gas attack during winter wiping out basically everyone and then there's this campfire and you gather around and there's a bunch of other french and german soldiers coming and then your task is to gather more wood before the fire goes out and you freeze to death

It's very feelsy but unfortunately i forgot its name

Anyway would be cool if something like that were in the campaign but i guess it's just more blackwashing revisionist hollywoodesque SJW-pandering DUDE BOOM LMAO bullshit
>>
>>1297290
>>1297290
Yeah but it's still better than nothing 2bh

I might actually end up buying a new current gen machine just for this. It's just too massive of a development to ignore, literally the first world war-related frostbite game and then such a neglected conflict on top of it.

I really hope this will also serve to redpill more people similar to how the WW2 shooters from the early 2000's redpilled fucktons of people (myself included)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYrRvp11eV8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dye7GMH8PHg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXGrBp21t_I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr6yKAjKVkg
>>
>>1297959
I'm pretty much buying this just to wreck faggots running around with red dot sight equipped MP18's with muh iron sight Lee Enfield.
Its gonna be shit, but at least it'll be pretty, polished shit.
>>
>>1297959
There's no point. It's just Battlefield 4 with a loose world war skin. This isn't a development and it's not going to change anything, especially if it gets near instantly dropped by the consumers just like Hardline and Battlefront were.
>>
>>1296659
Yes, and they'll all "know" that France played no role in it.

Combined with how much most people already "know" about France being an irrelevant cowardly piece of shit throughout all of history, maybe you can see why French people and francophiles are butthurt.
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 478x404) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 478x404
>>1298092
Yay! Explained it before I even had to muster my brain power to explain to him.

You pretty hit it on the nail. We're horrified that this game might renew this image of France being some nation of soldiers cowering at the sight of germans and heaving their duties unto british and american soldiers (seemingly so rampant by the looks of internet memes), whilst a game revolving around WW1 might've been the perfect opportunity to dispel those myth, by portraying us as the nation resolute to fight until the very end despite the sacrifices. By how the horror of the war was enough of an incentive for the Russians to negate their duties, that should translate enough of how courageous the men in those french trenches must've been to remain in the fight regardless.

By confining the french army to only a mere DLC, it might breathe into gullible minds some impression that the french army was such a negligible force that it can be forgotten, unless you're some hardcore historian that won't consent to the game unless the "useless faction of France" is included.

Seriously though, 99% of Americans now are deluded that they won WW2 by themselves from being lied to in their popular media. How easy would it be to mimic that lie for WW1, though now about deleting France from it.

Pic related exhibits that it's already transpiring even now.
>>
>>1297959
>Hitler refused to join the Austrian army because of the Empire's mixed races
>joined the German army, even though it had black soldiers
>>
>>1297959
Always the same "Hitler was a soldier" meme
He was a fucking messenger
His job was to travel between HQ and frontlines to deliver messages
The nigger never took part in action, he got wounded by some gas because he was unlucky enough to have one happen in the 10% of his time he was near a frontline to deliver his message
>>
>>1298110
>Seriously though, 99% of Americans now are deluded that they won WW2 by themselves from being lied to in their popular media. How easy would it be to mimic that lie for WW1, though now about deleting France from it.

Hmm, you're overestimating americans senpai
Most of them already believe they saved the world in both WWs
>>
>>1298187
So you find it understandable that we be enraged by this game and its non-inclusion of France, and Russia too?
>>
>>1298180
Not even disagreeing with you, but why are there such sparse and numerous anecdotes about how Hitler earned an iron cross and was respected by his men, to whom he would give "le scary spoopy speech about the juice"?

And how would a mere messenger even be a corporal, or am I overestimating how highly ranked a corporal is?
>>
File: JeanReno.jpg (19 KB, 400x261) Image search: [Google]
JeanReno.jpg
19 KB, 400x261
>>1293916

>Nobody knows who Robespierre is
>>
>>1298193
>how highly ranked a corporal is?
a corporal or "gefreiter" is literally a single step above a "schütze", that is it is the lowest rank above a private
>>
>>1298189
Yeah
No doubt Americans would be angry too if they were only DLC in a game about the Pacific War
>>
>>1298180
>he was unlucky enough to have one happen in the 10% of his time he was near a frontline to deliver his message
Nigga

Messengers were always on the frontline, and had to constantly run back and forth on open ground between trenches in perfect sight of the enemy. It was one of the most dangerous tasks of the entire war.
>>
>>1298194
He was more or less painted to be an evil guy in the whole "Everyone does bad shit but us" American education I received.

None of the nuance I've read about here reached us.
>>
>>1298202
>and had to constantly run back and forth on open ground between trenches in perfect sight of the enemy
lol wtf dude
that is not how world war 1 messengers work
>>
>>1298193
>earned an iron cross
Well, bad luck got him wounded, decoration followed

>and was respected by his men
Haha what?
He didn't have any "men", he was a petty messenger, not an officer
>>
File: 1465990960823.jpg (52 KB, 923x526) Image search: [Google]
1465990960823.jpg
52 KB, 923x526
>>1293395
it'd be better off as a WWII game

>Fricking assault rifles
Nope. There are no assault rifles in the game. You've got SMGs, semi automatic rifles, and bolt actions
>>
>>1298202
>>1298206
not to mention he was a regimental runner, he would not even be in the frontline trenches most of the time
>>
>>1298202
Dude...messengers were that guy on a bicycle who makes the link between the frontline and some city a few kms away where the officers of the staff sat their fat ass
>>
>>1298201
>No doubt Americans would be angry too if they were only DLC in a game about the Pacific War
I doubt they even can relate. We're a country for whom every stroll on the Internet can be acquainted to putting yourself in danger of being insulted over being "cowardly surrender monkeys" for achievements your ancestors died for, and that game, rather than ending it as it rightfully should have (given how well France fought in WW1), will only emphasize it.

Americans could only understand if they'd been the butt of war jokes for over a century, when they'd actually been the most feared country in Europe for over a millennia.

Sorry, I really am mad over this.
>>
>>1298180
>The nigger never took part in action,
He had the most dangerous job you could and saw a shit load of action. His job basically involved running across no mans land like a mad man.
>>
>>1298220
>His job basically involved running across no mans land like a mad man.
???
literally no
that is not what messengers did
why would he run across no man's land?
do you think he carried messages... to the enemy?
>>
>>1298223
>your men crawl over no man's land to take a trench in a bloody struggle
>forest cover suddenly sprouts behind you
>>
>>1298227
hitler did not run messages from the frontlines
he was a regimental messenger
>>
>>1298180
>>1298193
>>1298202
He was a runner of the frontline, there is a difference. How do you think messages were delivered to the men in the Trenches other than by the unreliable phone lines?

>Some regard this assignment as "a relatively safe job", because regimental headquarters was often several miles behind the Front. According to Thomas Weber of the University of Aberdeen, earlier historians of the period had not distinguished between regimental runners, who were based away from the front "in relative comfort", and company, or battalion runners, who moved among the trenches and were more often under fire.
>whenever a circuit went out of action two messengers were sent to repair the break; this usually occurred during a bombardment.
>Hitler's Iron Cross, First Class was awarded after an attack in open warfare during which messengers were indispensable and on a day in which the depleted regiment lost 60 killed and 211 wounded.
>During the Battle of the Somme in October 1916, he was wounded in the left thigh when a shell exploded at the entrance to the dispatch runners' dugout.
>On 15 October 1918, he and several comrades were temporarily blinded —and according to Friedelind Wagner[22] Hitler also lost his voice— due to a British mustard gas attack.
Yea, he was comfy and safe behind the lines right?
>>
>>1298233
I see
>>
>On 15 October 1918, he was temporarily blinded in a mustard gas attack and was hospitalised in Pasewalk.[64]

Oh god, if the poor fellow knew the shameful military history of this city, he'd have killed himself
>>
>>1298223
>>1298233
No, he was a trench runner. He delivered messages to various front line trenches often avoiding enemy fire.

> while Tandey was serving with the 5th Duke of Wellington's Regiment, and relates that a weary German soldier wandered into Tandey's line of fire. The enemy soldier was wounded and did not even attempt to raise his own rifle. Tandey chose not to shoot. The German soldier saw him lower his rifle and nodded his thanks before wandering off. That soldier is purported to have been Adolf Hitler
>Hitler apparently saw a newspaper report about Tandey being awarded the VC (in October 1918, whilst serving with the 5th Battalion Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment), recognized him, and kept the clipping
>"That man came so near to killing me that I thought I should never see Germany again; Providence saved me from such devilishly accurate fire as those English boys were aiming at us."
>>
>>1298234
>he served as a dispatch runner on the Western Front in France and Belgium,[55] spending nearly half his time at the regimental headquarters in Fournes-en-Weppes, well behind the front lines.[56][57]
>>
>>1298243
>spending nearly half his time at the regimental headquarters
>nearly half his time
>nearly half
So not even half
Try reading.
>>
>>1298239
>The enemy soldier was wounded and did not even attempt to raise his own rifle

Hitler didnt carry any rifle
Another shitty myth
>>
>>1298243
All of the troops spent most of their time behind the front lines. This means there were no soldiers on the Western Front, right?
>>
>>1293713
He told Hitler to fuck off

Based
>>
File: hitler with rifle.jpg (111 KB, 634x485) Image search: [Google]
hitler with rifle.jpg
111 KB, 634x485
>>1298248
>Hitler didnt carry any rifle
Citation needed. This is picture of hitler during ww1 with a rifle.

The "myth" was verified by Hitler and Tandey
>>
>>1298256
>This is picture of hitler during ww1 with a rifle.

Nigga probably stole it from some real soldier during his sleep so he could play tough on a photo
>>
>>1298243
Wow, only nearly half his time? Most troops spent at least 80-90% of their military service during ww1 behind the front line. Troops were regularly rotated as after all a thin line of trenches cant actually accommodate the hundreds of thousands of soldiers available.
Hitler must have been in never ending danger.
>>1298263
No you're getting pathetic. We get it, you don't like Hitler, he was a bad guy, doesn't mean you have to furiously deny that he was brave and saw a lot of danger during WW1. Objectivity is lost on you.
>>
>>1298269
Shut up, you nazi
My great grandgather died in Aushwitez
>>
>>1298263
>looking tough on camera during a time of war

You can't make this shit up
>>
>>1298276
Both my grandparents died in Aushwites
>>
>>1298301

Every single member of my family died in Aushwotz to the point I couldn't even be born
>>
>>1293777
Verdun is extremely boring though. Also lacking any decent production values whatsoever. Feels like a half assed mod of some other first person shooter that doesn't exist.
>>
>>1298187
>Implying the US didn't save the world in both WWs
Come on Anon.
>>
>>1298256
>The "myth" was verified by Hitler and Tandey
haha
>>
>>1293944
About the only glamorous aspect of england is their pop musicians, as far as the world knows its all telly, pubs and the most ass-backwards era the world has ever seen, the victorian (repressive sexual morals, sootstained child labor factories, phrenology and gin alley). Also that time when they were assholes to the colonies, america included.
>>
>>1293731
WW1 is taught in public schools in America. If you think this is the only time kids will access WW1, then you need to re-evaluate your preconceptions of Americans.
>>
>>1298723
>WW1 is taught in public schools in America

The pic there >>1298110 gives a good idea of how US schools teach about WW1....
>>
>>1298747
My experience is that this is how world war 1 is taught in public schools until college level. Anybody without a college level education though is meant to believe that America was the only hero of world war 1 and saved the entire world from blowing itself up.
>>
Why the fuck do people keep going on about black germans? They guy in all the promo pictures with the C96, trench club, and MP-18 is the main character from the day-one Harlem Hellfighter DLC.
>>
>>1298747
>A picture of a shitty online poll of 100 people
>hurrr Americans are dumb

okay
>>
>>1298110
>99% of Americans now are deluded that they won WW2 by themselves from being lied to in their popular media

How can someone say this and take this themselves seriously? Do you usually just pull arguments out of your ass?
>>
>>1293437
>>1295219
to be fair, (and I'm a different poster).

Red Orchestra 2 had a fuckton of problems with it as well, the best part of the game for me was the sheer amount of effort that went into the guns. To have adjustable sights and crap made it very immersive.
>>
>>1293399
If Paradox had introduced blatant inaccuracies into CKII you can bet the people here'd be mad.
>>
File: we wuz panzerfaust n shiet.jpg (117 KB, 1547x535) Image search: [Google]
we wuz panzerfaust n shiet.jpg
117 KB, 1547x535
>>1299148
On gameplay footage, out of 5 Germans seen, 3 were black
>>
>>1299148
there's also character customization ported over from battlefront, the gameplay demo had a bunch of black celebrities playing as well.

basically they saw black guys on the german team and started screaming that dice wasn't being historically accurate.

really it's probably nothing more than a marketing decision, or (potentially) a red herring, to distract from the bigger issue.
>>
>>1298211
>no assault rifles

>what is Winchester 1907?

sure you could argue it's just an SMG (given that it was basically a blowback operated thing), but it's characteristics were much like more modern assault rifles in terms of the range/recoil/rate-of-fire compromises than contemporary rifles or smg's.
>>
>>1299223
it says ww1 though.
>>1299428
the issue is that BF has gotten shallow and their attempt to shake stuff up wasn't good enough in hardline
Watching people hip fire Lewis guns and stuff on the run is pretty fucking shit.
>>
>>1293444
This, the problem is that Battlefieldfags ACTUALLY believe their games are accurate and super epin tactical just because they're not CoD
>>
>>1298092
I mean, when has France ever won a war?
>>
>>1299486
Battlefield was always relatively shallow though when it came to guns. The dumbing down has mostly been from an angle of overall gameplay, map design, and server options.

the lack of Faction-restrictions on weapons being an example, in addition to maps that feel cramped or too small for aircraft.

A focus on Consoles/the COD demographic has also created too much of a focus on Infantry-only/CQC maps.

Battlefield has always been ridiculous though, BF-1942 had all sorts of weird shit in it, from all fighters having bombs to 1(-2 max) tanks, to many other weird things(. Battlefield 2 wasn't much better in many respects.
2142 had some interesting gameplay/gamemodes. Really what happened I guess is that a combination of factors from marketing to a COD-demographic, to "GRAFFIX", to multiplatform releases creates a perfect storm of mediocrity, where everything needs to be "tight", or something, meaning you don't get the craziness that was controlling big-boats in BF1942, or Titans in 2142.

add to it DICE's reluctance to make decent mod-tools available (or make a game-engine that could be modded easily without necessarily needing to access the entire source code) and you have what we've got today.
>>
>>1299549
Only once, in 1783 when it saved the USA
>>
>>1299576
>1(-2max) tanks

meant to say 1player(-2max) tanks
>>
>>1299425
That's interesting.
>>
>>1293395
i wish they still made these triple a titles modable. all bf1 needs is a forgotten hope style overhaul mod and it would probably be a great game
>>
>>1299586
>>1299576
battlefield was always a casual game though. Forgotten hope was the dankest shit.
>>1299708
dis nigga
>>
>>1299718
I think Forgotten hope had some issues though, mostly because the engine dice used didn't allow for tetrary fire on infantry weapons, meaning bayonets felt kind of clunky.
>>
>>1297833
that sounds crazy~ what is it I must know more.
>>
>>1298165
i thought he was rejected from the austrian army because he couldn't pass a physical, so he joined the german army
>>
>>1298165
>>1299777
Bavarian Army, not German.
>>
>>1293452
>>1293455
>>1293485
>>1293801
>>1294611
>>1295450
>>1295611
>>1296905
Can someone explain this to me? What is the meme here
>>
>>1293455
>>1293485
>>1293801
>>1294611
>>1295450
>>1295611
>>1296905
nice meme, now name what they don't get right
>>
>>1298110
that poll is just sad.
Gobbels once said "history is written by the victors". He was wrong. History isn't set in stone, it's permanently rewritten and distorded to fit the current agenda.
>>
Having the French as a non-playable faction doesn't make the game less accurate.
>>
>>1301364
>non-playable faction
>Battlefield
wat?
>>
>>1293916
what?
>>
>>1293395
Man, I've seen some footage and I have no idea why everyone seems so hyped. It's probably COD hate. Even with the game having nothing to do with WWI it still looks pretty lame to me.
>>
>>1302209
This happens every single time there's a Battlefield and a CoD game coming out. BF fanboys are the bigger spergs because they're the ones who think their games are "superior" because they're "accurate" and "tactical". On the other hand CoD people barely even acknowledge Battlefield's existence, so they don't care to shitpost about it.
>>
>>1299178
But they are.
>>
>>1302209
>>1302220
Damn nigga, I went in the comment section of the BF trailer to see what normies thought of this history butchering game and fuck....half the comments were stupid jokes about how CoD is dead or something
Wtf is wrong with these people? It's like they care more about their silly ass rivalry than the game itseld
>>
>>1302344
Most of the people who care about dumb videogame franchise rivalries are probably 10 year olds.
Thread replies: 216
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.