[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did ancient people stole myths from each other instead of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
Why did ancient people stole myths from each other instead of inventing mythology themselves? I heard Jews stole great flood from Babylonians and Christians based Jesus on some Egyptian God. Is there a reason for such lack of creativity?
>>
OP

Tell me a story without using ANY other story for influence

No tropes
>>
>>1283986
Its like memes, man. Remember the "can Milhouse be a meme"?, well, that; instead, most of popular memes are obtained by external sources.
>>
>>1283986
Hey, those guys have a cool story, let's add it to our stories.
>>
>>1283986
The early Hebrews were likely Amorites, and those Semitic people culturally and politically controlled Mesopotamia from the very early 2nd millennium bc, from Babylon, so those stories very well could be "their" stories from the same source. Abraham was from Ur.

The book in which the author (I forget his name) associates Jesus with Horus has been discredited as not academically sound. Jesus, the person we call Jesus, existed to people in the 1st century, and we know this from Josephus and a couple other sources. A better comparison might be Mithra, but then, there are many more parallels there than even Christians choose to admit, like Cyrus in Isaiah 45 and magi being drawn to Jesus' birth.

It's fine to be skeptical. It means you're interested in facts and truth. Some things aren't fact or truth, and some things are fact in a round-about surprising way.
>>
>>1284000
There's a difference between tropes and entire story conventions. Nearly all ancient cultures had a flood myth that went along the lines of
>god gets angry
>god decides flood is most efficient form of eugenics
>another god tells one guy and his family to pack their shit
>builds boat
>survives

That's more than tropes.
>>
>>1284014
Wait. What happened to Mithra?
>>
>>1284020
Tropes are literally story conventions
>>
Great flood stories are near universal and also Abraham was Mesopotamian
>>
>>1284034
Mithra (or Mithras) was the son of Ahura Mazda from Zoroastrianism. Cyrus II, who was anointed by God to liberate the Hebrews in Isaiah 45, who "did not know God" (YHWH) was Zoroastrian. Magi was the word for Zoroastrian priests.

I'm personally Lutheran, but I find the connection very interesting, and indeed, if there's a relation, it began at the time of Isaiah.
>>
>>1284020
What cultures had that myth besides Jews?
>>
>>1284051
Try nearly everyone?
>>
>>1284051
In that area of the world, in the epic of Gilgamesh, he meets the last surviving witness to a big flood and seeks the guy's council.
>>
>>1284051
>>1284055
I don't think the deluge was a myth, either. I think there's a bad interpretation using the term "kol erets" to mean "whole earth" when it's supposed to be more like "whole land". The same language is used elsewhere, not only in Genesis, and most of the others seem to make sense, like how Cain, after killing Abel, was banished from "kol erets", which I guess, if the flood was the whole world, Cain was banished to outer space. Whatever. I'm sure it needs to be looked at, because it's not right.
>>
>>1284061
3000 years of Torah and you have the right answer today. That's very interesting for you.
>>
File: 1462887634648.jpg (80 KB, 414x302) Image search: [Google]
1462887634648.jpg
80 KB, 414x302
>>1283986
There are mythologies of a great flood from cultures all over the globe. Aztecs, Greeks, Finno-Ugrics. They have some flood myth that connects to when Lake superior was a giant water tank walled up by ice, bursted and flooded much of the earth. Doggerland disappeared and the connection between mediterranean and black sea opened up. It was huge.
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (99 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
99 KB, 1280x720
>Why did ancient people stole myths from each other instead of inventing mythology themselves?

Because mythology is almost never invented. Mythology is almost always based on earlier mythology, simply because this is the most efficient way to forge new mythologies.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.