[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the biggest lie in school history books?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 18
File: Mexican Leopard KnightHR.jpg (2 MB, 2387x2242) Image search: [Google]
Mexican Leopard KnightHR.jpg
2 MB, 2387x2242
What is the biggest lie in school history books?
>>
>the soviet union fell
>stalin did anything wrong
>>
>>1283204
>the soviet union is still standing
>>
>>1283190

Catholics are Christians.
>>
That Thomas Edison invented the lightbulb
>>
>>1283221
This

He actually bought the patent
>>
>>1283235
>>1283221
Did he not find the best filament though to make them useful?
>>
The black and white cartoon version of the Galilean Controversy
>>
>>1283247
That's still not invention; it's perfecting.
>>
>>1283259
But he invented a lightbulb with a usable filament.
>>
>>1283263
By that logic Moot invented forums when he slightly modified the 2ch code and made 4chan
>>
>>1283259

That's how invention works, though.
>>
>>1283276
He copy pasted the world2ch code. It was only through the help of some people who weren't 13 year old autists from Something Awful that 4chan took off
>>
>>1283190
>Cristopher Columbus discovered America

Vikings did, nearly 500 years before Colombus

>Cristopher Columbus proved that earth is not flat

It was proven by ancient Greeks two thousand years before Columbus

>Cristianity is what caused the "Dark ages"

Actually it was Islam and it's dominance of Mediteranian sea

>Edison invented the lightulb

He bought the patent from some German smartass

>There is no gravity in space

No comment

>Chameleons change color to fuse with the enviroment

It's due to their emotions (fear etc.)

>American civil war was about slavery

No comment, make some research

>Tastes on the tongue are on different places and each of them has their own "section"

All tastes are all around the tongue, not divided in sections

>Humans evolved from monkey

Humans and monkeys had common ancestor
>>
>>1283310
That common ancestor was arguably also a monkey of some kind, but yea.

The civil war was about slavery. The states rights issue came second.

Rest is good.
>>
File: 6.jpg (2 MB, 1500x4010) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
2 MB, 1500x4010
>>1283286
>>
>>1283310
>>Cristianity is what caused the "Dark ages"

>Actually it was Islam and it's dominance of Mediteranian sea

Lel what? It was Islam that got Europeans out of the dark age. Where are you getting your history from?
>>
>>1283310
Everyone who saws a misconception video in the Internet knows these.
>>
>>1283310
>>American civil war was about slavery
You're right, it was about states' rights... to own slaves
>>
9/11
>>
>>1283310
>Humans evolved from monkey
Schools don't teach that, are you crazy? That's just a common misconception caused by people's ignorance and unwillingness to pay proper attention to things.
>>
File: Mount Stupid.gif (31 KB, 576x765) Image search: [Google]
Mount Stupid.gif
31 KB, 576x765
>>1283310
>greentext common notion
black text mount stupid

retard
>>
>>1283310

Actually, it was the crushing tax burdens and chattel slavery of the Roman empire, which in turn crashed trade networks.

Most of the decline happened before 476 AD, not after.

>No comment, make some research

I can see why you aren't stating an opinion. That way you'd get blown the fuck out.
>>
Biggest lie in school history books? Whose school? Alot of history is told from the vantage point of the person still living to tell it, generally the guy who won. Also, what grade level? High school doesn't go that deep into anything, skimming over basic facts which are hard to refute objectively.
>>
>>1283357
By country or something idk
>>
>>1283327
That's not true, let me explain.
Arabs had massive naval dominance over the Mediteranian sea. They didn't allow any Europeans to sail freely and to trade with each other. Sailing was fast and cheap way to exchange information and trade goods. Before the rise of islam, it was common for European nations to communicate thru sea. For example France and Spain had many naval routes and were well navaly connected; it took only ten days to deliver something from Spain to France, but after arabs took over the sea, the only possibility for European nations, such as France and Spain, to communicate was on land, which was more than ten times slower and much more expensive.
>>
>>1283310
I've never seen a history textbook that goes back to human evolution
>>
That any single notable historical figure within the last 2000 years was anything but of African descent
>>
The American government gave smallpox blankets to Amerindians.
>>
>>1283404
>Blaming Islam for the Dark Ages

They're the ones that saved a lot of Greek history. Dark Age is misleading anyway, there was plenty of advancement in Europe during that time
>>
>>1283358
ok, hmm. Biggest lie would have to be something that really affected people, so probably something that simplified a much larger world issue such as "The murder of Franz Ferdinand started World War I", when actually it was the July Ultimatum and bickering between an overgrown yacht club of literal cousins.
>>
>>1283309
>He tried a new alloy
>it was only with people who weren't just clever businessmen that his lightbulb took off.

Do you see how easy this is to do?
>>
>>1283424
>They're the ones that saved a lot of Greek history

Saved?
First of all, they were the ones that conquered Greek culture and oppressed it for centuries.

Secondly islamic expansion is the main reason that many temples, churches and libraries including that in Alexandria were destroyed. With those "storages" destroyed, majority of human knowlegde stored in there was lost
>>
>>1283424

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Im0IisZ77QI
>>
>>1283456
The great library of Alexandria wasn't destroyed by Muslims.
>>
>>1283456
There were literally entire schools of Islamic thought based on Greek scholarship and philosophy.
Al-Kindi translated texts from ancient Greeks such as Plato and Aristotle and literallt founded Arab philosophy based on Neo-Platonism.
>>
File: Willie_Robertson-1050x700.jpg (188 KB, 1050x700) Image search: [Google]
Willie_Robertson-1050x700.jpg
188 KB, 1050x700
That the Neanderthals died out.
>>
>>1283349
>>1283333
He's absolutely right.

The secession of the states was about slavery, but the war itself wasn't
>>
File: BTFO.png (58 KB, 1694x174) Image search: [Google]
BTFO.png
58 KB, 1694x174
>>1283517
Yeah it was
>>
>>1283190
History is written by the victor. Whenever someone loses the war they get essentially all the blame put on them and demonized while the winning side is made to look like heroes.
>>
>>1283190
The Holocaust, 9/11, the space race, the communist–capitalist paradigm (literally Jews arguing with Jews), nuclear weapons (Japan was firebombed, there were zero reports of a nuclear weapon or anything comparable in the Japanese press), theoretical physics, Islamic terrorism, etc.

Yes, I'm joking... because if anyone actually believed me this shit wouldn't have happened. That's the way it works: the Jews do whatever they want and you listen. If you didn't listen it couldn't happen. Funny how that works.

By deception we shall do war—Mossad
>>
File: 636639.jpg (7 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
636639.jpg
7 KB, 160x160
>>1283207
It's just hibernating while the ghost of Marx destroys its enemies from within. They're playing the long game.
>>
>>1283672
>The secession of the states was about slavery, but the war itself wasn't
This is some serious splitting of hairs.
>>
[spoiler]hitler did something wrong [/spoiler]
>>
>>1283310
>Vikings did, nearly 500 years before Colombus

Native Americans did nearly 10,000 years before the Vikings
>>
>blacks who were sold as slaves to America didn't win the lottery ticket compared to the ones that were left behind in Africa
>>
>>1285218
>discover continent
>natives
Liberal logic.
>>
>>1285226
>Native people were literally always there

Retard logic
>>
>Gavrilo Princip was responsible for starting WWI

The assassination of Ferdinand was used as an excuse to deal with independent slavic states in the Balkans and try to delay the end of monarchy.
>>
That the british mutilated the hands of indian textile workers since they weren't able to compete with them. I've seen this lie brought up numerous times when discussing india's colonial past but each time nobody calls them out for it.
>>
So I'm pretty sure that the civil war was like 50/50 because of slavery and the federal government being imposed onto the nation. The south didn't want that more than they didn't want to give up their slaves I'm pretty sure.
>>
>>1283404
>pol trying to rewrite history

yeahh why the middle ages started is a hard disussed topic. But nobody of name in the last ~50 years will blame islam for that
>>
>>1283309
I was going to respond to this with what I thought was correct 4chan oral tradition as I remembered it as I thought thatdog translated and personalized 2chans board code into 4chan Futallaby and moot did nothing, so credit where credit is due. I was wrong, that came later apparently BUT double checking all this I ran across this

http://tanasinn.info/wiki/Complete_History_of_4chan

For any local lore historians. Just want to share. Kind of interesting stuff
>1996 - A man named Masayuki Shiba creates a BBS called Ayashii Warudo (Strange/Suspicious World). Users are anonymous. Warez and cp are posted, and there is a “gesu” (scum) board where a group of the same name discussed and conducted website hackings and invasions. Many similar BBSes are formed, collectively called Nanashi Warudo (Nameless World), they develop a culture based on memes. Ayashii World functions as the hubsite of Nanashi World in a similar way to how 4chan would later function as the hubsite of Anonymous. AW's popularity increases exponentially. History of Ayashii World.

>1999 - The administrator of the first channel closes the site due to vandalism, before that, he makes a plea for its users to make more sites like Amezou. A man named Hiroyuki Nishimura sees all this and creates Ni Channeru (2channel), the Second Channel, using code based on the first, with enough servers this time to handle the exponential growth. Meanwhile, Lowtax creates Something Awful.
Apparently our current might Shogun created his spiritual father site right around the same time 4chans spiritual father site was created by coincidence. 1999 is like an Internet axial age of shit or something.
>>
>>1283310

Yes but Columbus discovered America in the eyes of Europe and began a series of expeditions that would lead to the colonial period and the rise of Europe.

So a few fucking Vikings or "muh natives discovered it actually!!" doesn't compare.
>>
>>1283424

The Dark Ages isn't misleading, but it isn't properly represented for what it is, a complete collapse of the European economy brought about by the balkanization of the western Roman empire. The world didn't "forget", they just lacked the money to do anything
>>
>>1283327

>It was Islam that got Europeans out of the dark age. Where are you getting your history from?

Where are you getting yours?

>Muh Islamic Golden Age that had fuck all to do with Islam!!
>>
>>1283310
>Vikings did, nearly 500 years before Colombus
But didn't bother telling anyone or writing it down. Ergo Europeans had no idea snowniggers had gotten that far west

the slave-based economies of classical antiquity were dependent upon foreign conquest to act as an economic stimulus (through military-industrial spending programs as well as war booty itself) and to infuse the economy with low cost labor. Once Rome ran out of people nearby who were worth conquering it experienced a long deflationary spiral into extinction.

>American civil war was about slavery
It was fought over the right of states to declare a living human being as the lawful property of another. Lost-cause losers try to obfuscate this fact but the evidence is incontrovertible.
http://www.civilwar.org/education/history/primarysources/declarationofcauses.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/
>>
>>1285358
>the slave-based economies of classical antiquity were dependent upon foreign conquest to act as an economic stimulus (through military-industrial spending programs as well as war booty itself) and to infuse the economy with low cost labor. Once Rome ran out of people nearby who were worth conquering it experienced a long deflationary spiral into extinction.

If only this was actually taught as the main topic of the Roman Empire. It would solve all the issues of modernists believing that Rome was a perfect European (white) civilization of antiquity that only fell because of "foreign" elements
>>
It depends on how old and how shitty the textbook is, but here are a few

>Columbus was the only one who thought the earth was round
>The Civil War was about slavery
>The whole concept of Rome, Dark Ages, then Renaissance bullshit
>Not mentioning most Native Americans were killed off by disease

I also tutor this kid who goes to a Catholic school and it unironically said America is the greatest country in the world because it's God's chosen country. A gem of a quote:

>Also, many Indians died, and this was a sad thing.
>>
File: 2010-12-24dl1.jpg (98 KB, 707x530) Image search: [Google]
2010-12-24dl1.jpg
98 KB, 707x530
>>1284346
>This is what communists actually believe
>>
Hitler wanted to kill anyone without blonde hair and blue eyes.

Seriously, wtf is up with ww2 history in high school
>>
>>1285385
>The Civil War was about slavery

It literally was though.
>>
>>1283207
Well, there is the CIS(SNG)
>>
>>1285385
>>The Civil War was about slavery
Stop trying to pass the lost-cause meme off as legitimate history.
>>
>Lenin was an atheist.
>>
File: zzzsheedy.jpg (12 KB, 388x268) Image search: [Google]
zzzsheedy.jpg
12 KB, 388x268
>>1283333
>You're right, it was about states' rights... to own slaves

there are these repeating digits and a great post to the /pol/cats, etc.
>>
>>1285420
I think what OP means is that the reason wasn't a moral one, but rather industrialists looking to improve business through eliminating competitors
>>
>>1283333
Really though it was always about ethnic autonomy
>>
>>1285434
>but rather industrialists looking to improve business through eliminating competitors
the ones who were deliberately rigging state governments to maintain economic condition favorable to them, particularly the unfair advantage of not having to make payroll.
>>
>>1283207
I think it's more the idea of it "falling" - rather than being destroyed
>>
>>1285394
I'm just a capitalist who's been listening to his paranoid gommie-fighting grandfather his whole life. He makes more sense than I'd like to admit.
>>
File: SWEAT1.png (142 KB, 415x367) Image search: [Google]
SWEAT1.png
142 KB, 415x367
>Lord Nelson was the greatest naval commander of all time
>>
>>1283310
This.
>>
>>1285410
ww1 and 2 are really fucking complicated but they're important so you can't just ignore them.
>>
>>1283517
It was destroyed by Muslims, but only after being burned by angry Christian mobs hundreds of years earlier.
>>
>>1285779
>It was destroyed by Muslims, but only after being burned by angry Christian mobs hundreds of years earlier.
At which point it had been an empty shell of its former self, having long since been devastated by Julius Caesar and his pagan soldiers.
>>
>>1283327
>Implying it wasn't those sub-monkey, illiterate Saracen heathens constantly attacking Christendom which exacerbated the dark ages
>>
The Roman Empire ended in 476 AD.
>>
>>1283310
Basically this
>>
>>1285279
Bill Warner does
>>
>>1285370
This is how it was explained to me in school. Where the fuck do you live, m8?
>>
>>1285385
The catholic church doesn't believe that about the USA
>>
Christian "Dark Ages"
>>
File: 1462477878874.jpg (94 KB, 500x329) Image search: [Google]
1462477878874.jpg
94 KB, 500x329
>>1283190
>that the Constitution was inspired by Moses
>>
I could go on a whole rant about Cold War propaganda, but here:
>the US was justified in its foreign policy in the Cold War
>the US is a power for good abroad
>far left movements are all authoritarian or totalitarian
>the USSR and its satellite states didn't do any good things
>>
>Serbs did nothing wrong ever
>Battle of Kosovo was the most influential battle in history
>>
File: polcatt.jpg (163 KB, 960x767) Image search: [Google]
polcatt.jpg
163 KB, 960x767
>>1285433
someone explain this /pol/cat meme to me
>>
File: aww yiss.jpg (78 KB, 600x483) Image search: [Google]
aww yiss.jpg
78 KB, 600x483
>>1285852
mein neger!
>>
>>1283190
>the years betwen614-911 happend
>>
Threads like these make me appreciate my history classes. And I went to a Academically Unacceptable school. My teachers were pretty great.
>>
File: 1457659811433.jpg (90 KB, 999x1244) Image search: [Google]
1457659811433.jpg
90 KB, 999x1244
>>1283559
>>1283424

Thank god some people actually know what they are talking about. These are both legit answers.
>>
>>1285370
>It would solve all the issues of modernists believing that Rome was a perfect European (white) civilization of antiquity that only fell because of "foreign" elements
>modernists
Are you from the 17th century, m8?
>>
>>1285324
Also this one too.
>>
>>1283310
what backward ass school would teach this?
>>
>>1285230
Native people were born there retard
>>
>>1283190
>Mexican
>Leopard
>Knight
>>
>US won Vietnam War
>HOLY
>ROMAN
>EMPIRE
>>
>>1285197
No it fucking isn't.

The war didn't start because the north wanted wanted to free muh slaves, it started because fort sumter was bombed
>>
>>1285420
>>1285426
It literally wasn't though.

You're on a historical board, why don't you read up what caused the war?
>>
>>1285218
>10000
Please. They were here long before: 20000
>>
>>1283326
Well this still shows how much they chimped out about genocide
>>
The Holocaust
>>
File: stefan.jpg (44 KB, 225x253) Image search: [Google]
stefan.jpg
44 KB, 225x253
>>1289836
>y-you're paranoid
>>
>>1283326
I've never understood why stormweenies cling to the 6m number. It's an estimate, not an ironclad figure.
>>
>>1283429
>Tungsten carbide coated bamboo is an alloy.
Being this retarded
>>
>>1289853
>Stefan Molyneux
>Not a reactionary

I think fundamentally he's right on a lot of issues, but when you get into the specifics he starts to break down pretty conclusively.
>>
File: 1462519083117.gif (3 MB, 244x226) Image search: [Google]
1462519083117.gif
3 MB, 244x226
>>1283190

The crazy, religous fanatics of Christianity attacked the peaceful, benevolent, advanced muslims on their own soil, because there was some obscure scripture in the bible or so, who told them about Jerusalem being the birth town of Jesus.

The atrocities of the Red Army were mere Nazi propaganda to prevent the Germans from surrendering.
Millions of Prussians somehow froze to death when they believed this stupid propaganda and fled head over heels.
>>
>>1283424

They 'saved' it from the Greeks by conquering Greek territory. Nobody can honestly claim that he knows whether or not it would not have been preserved if that didn't happen.
You must be one of those crash course history cucks.
>>
>>1283315
>>1285254
>>1285420
How does it feel knowing that a fucking Australian knows more about your own history- slavery was just a result.

Direct quote from Lincoln:

"I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men every where could be free.

Yours,
A. Lincoln."
>>
>>1290642
In my mind, it's mostly because he pushes a narrative as opposed to holding himself to intellectual scrutiny.

It actually serves him pretty well, I don't think he'd have the support of a pseudo-cult if he were some stuffy, wordy intellectual. He's just a half-decent demagogue with a few good points. We all know how effective those are.
>>
>>1290750
The south seceded because of slavery.

The north attacked them because of how humiliating it would have been for them to accept this secession. The original rule was that land belonging to the federal government would be kept by the north. Which is a compromise to this. Otherwise it'd be seen that they'd let land being taken slide with no resistance. The Northern states would have no legitimacy in keeping -any- state within the union though, after the south seceded though. Thus, their hand was forced in all but the most direct action, to protect their legitimacy as a country by protecting the union.

Anyways while the details are more nuanced(they always are.) saying it's NOT about slavery is much more dishonest than saying it is.
>>
>>1290762
It's more like slavery was a factor but not the primary reason behind the war. Fort Sumter didn't happen because of slavery, hence the war didn't start because of slvaery
>>
>>1283190
There are other types of lies, but you can bet on everything mentioned about the Catholic Church to be buttfuckingly wrong.

>muh dark ages
>muh renaissance
>muh secularism
>muh enlightenment
>muh French Revolution
>muh Galileo
>muh Constantine
>muh Nazi pope
>muh aztecs, incas and guarani
>>
>>1290792
forgot one of the major ones

>muh inquisition
>>
>>1290781
>It's more like slavery was a factor but not the primary reason behind the war.
It was the biggest factor in the war. The South's economy relied heavily on slave labor. They probably never would have attempted secession if it wasn't for the new laws against slavery.
>>
>>1290750
>How does it feel knowing that a fucking Australian knows more about your own history- slavery was just a result.
You forgot the quotes from various Southern politicians about how slavery is of the utmost importance to the south like these:

>Lawrence Keitt: Congressman from South Carolina, in a speech to the House on January 25, 1860: "African slavery is the corner-stone of the industrial, social, and political fabric of the South; and whatever wars against it, wars against her very existence. Strike down the institution of African slavery and you reduce the South to depopulation and barbarism."

>Thomas F. Goode, Mecklenburg County, Virginia, March 28, 1861, Virginia Secession Convention, vol. II, p. 518, "Sir, the great question which is now uprooting this Government to its foundation---the great question which underlies all our deliberations here, is the question of African slavery.

Lincoln not being the anti-slavery hero some people make him out to be doesn't change Confederate motivations. The States rights angle was always terrible as states shouldn't have rights in the first place.
>>
>>1289809
>US won Vietnam War
US schools don't teach this, do they?
>>
>>1291022
No.
>>
>>1290792
Indeed.

Everything reported on the Roman Catholic Church has been sanitized by the Roman Catholic Church.

Everything is far more horrific than reported.
>>
File: 1465397137507.jpg (59 KB, 453x439) Image search: [Google]
1465397137507.jpg
59 KB, 453x439
>>1290856
>States shouldn't have rights in the first place
>>
>>1283190
>the New Deal ended the Great Depression
>>
>>1291053
Only individuals should have them. I don't care about state's rights because their proponents have had no problem running roughshod over individual rights when they challenged their own power.
>>
>>1283327
Are you getting your history from your Imam?
>>
>>1283310
I have never heard of a single school textbook that teaches this.

Also, you forgot:
>The inquisition was evil and wanted to kill everyone and everything
>>
>>1283310
>the american civil war was not about slavery
[citation needed]
>>
>>1291081
Care to set the record straight? I dont know too much about the new deal.
>>
>>1289183
not the ones who walked on it for the first time
Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.