[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Atlantis is mentioned only once in all the ancient world, in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: atlantis.jpg (533 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
atlantis.jpg
533 KB, 1920x1080
Atlantis is mentioned only once in all the ancient world, in one of Plato's dialogues. Plato constantly wrote about allegories and imagined scenarios. Even when he wrote about real events such as the trial&death of Socrates he added fictional elements to them in order to make it into an allegory. I repeat, there was no other source other than Plato, a guy who loved to make up stories.

Yet somehow this got turned into a "lost city" and than a "lost continent" and all sorts of miraculous concepts were attributed to it.

How could something so obviously unreal be confused and read as a literal place.
>>
File: atlantis.jpg (491 KB, 1600x2020) Image search: [Google]
atlantis.jpg
491 KB, 1600x2020
it's a cool idea nigga
>>
I'm fairly certain that Atlantis was sort of conflated with other legendary lost/sunken cities. Atlantis is the most memorable of those stories, so the Atlantis name gets slapped onto all of them.

I'd be interested in a history of the story of sunken cities and lost continents, if anyone has something like that. I'd love to know where the idea for places like Mu, Lemuria, etc. came from.
>>
>>1275476
Could be real events, like Cleopatra’s Palace I believe it's called which was thrown into the sea by an Earthquake, which then gets built on over the years and it just builds up and up.
>>
Plato recounts Atlantis as a story he brought back from Egypt that they themselves proclaimed to be 10,000 years old, and from whom they originated. The naming of Atlantis is shrouded in historical mystery kinda like the castor tree's name (which is "palm of Christ" in latin),, In readings about the past, Cayce referred to it by that name and said it was no mistake that the Atlantic Ocean also falls under that name. Cayce backed up Plato's description of Atlantis as being an island surrounded by a islet of rings.

However, this was the last Atlantis. There were according to him, two more before it. The last, Cayce claimed was God intervening when a faction of materialists at the losing end of a war attempted to destroy the world with a solar-powered crystal that now lies in the Bermuda Triangle.

However, although Cayce was temporarily a household name, what really brought Atlantis media exposure was again, was his prediction that the peaks of it would be found in 1968, 23 years after his death. It dumbfounded scientists and In Search of Ancient Astronauts IIRC recounts that the people who discovered Bimini Road were aware of the prophecy.

It also corresponds with the Incas and their accounts of refugees that created the Temple of the Sun, and so forth. I take things with a grain of salt, nowadays, but Atlantis is one of the few certainties in life I still believe in.

It didn't all come from Plato.
>>
>>1275800
>However, this was the last Atlantis. There were according to him, two more before it. The last, Cayce claimed was God intervening when a faction of materialists at the losing end of a war attempted to destroy the world with a solar-powered crystal that now lies in the Bermuda Triangle.

sounds legit
>>
>>1275800
How are you sure that these aren't false equivalences?
>>
What's really annoying is people who call it a real legend or mythology
>>
File: Emily-pope-francis-607x330.jpg (40 KB, 607x330) Image search: [Google]
Emily-pope-francis-607x330.jpg
40 KB, 607x330
>>1274517
>Yet somehow this got turned into a "lost city" and than a "lost continent" and all sorts of miraculous concepts were attributed to it.
>>1276253
>What's really annoying is people who call it a real legend or mythology
Are you trying to say Plato's words aren't infallible, and insinuating that he isn't the son of Apollo?

And now you know how Christianity started, too.

And also the search for the Holy Grail.

And...
>>
>>1274517
>How could something so obviously unreal be confused and read as a literal place.

Because Egyptians believed it unironically, and Plato did nothing but regurgitate Egyptian beliefs and metaphysics.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.