[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who were the Celts?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
File: begrav.jpg (150 KB, 1048x700) Image search: [Google]
begrav.jpg
150 KB, 1048x700
Who were the Celts?
>>
>>1273785
Loving how they're ALL depicted with light hair
>>
>>1273852
they used lime to make their hair stand on end
>>
>>1273785
Anatolian farmers
>>
>>1273785
One of the largest most dispersed group of Indo-Europeans who mixed in with the native Europeans creating a fairly homogeneous culture.
>>
>>1273852
>what is lime?
>>1273866
Partially, like all europeans
>>
File: z205.png (259 KB, 268x352) Image search: [Google]
z205.png
259 KB, 268x352
>>1273785
A нy чики бpики и в дaмки
>>
>>1273874
mostly according to this, Spain?

Not fully in the know on this stuff, but thought Spaniards, Irish etc. were "the most" like original europeans.
>>
>>1273785
Proud people of color.
>>
>>1273882
Yeah

Farmer DNA is heavier in Southern Europeans

Hunter DNA is heavier in Northern Europe

And PIE/Caucasian DNA is highest in east Europe
>>
Do the Picts count a Celtic group, or are they a distinct people?

I usually hear them grouped with the Celts, but their art and material culture seems different than La Tené. Also, is it true they traced their family maternally rather than paternally?
>>
>>1273894
But it says it's highest in Norway here?

And aren't Irish and Spanish, specifically similar because both being of celtic origin, same with french and most germans.
>>
File: Roma.png (136 KB, 399x750) Image search: [Google]
Roma.png
136 KB, 399x750
>>1273785
Corpses.
>>
>>1273785
Irrelevant inbred early potato farmers.
>>
>>1273912
How are Spaniards Celtic? They tend to be of a darker complexion than Irish.

Also isn't the "Irish originate in northern Spain" just a theory?
>>
File: Genetic Map of Europe.png (1001 KB, 1027x834) Image search: [Google]
Genetic Map of Europe.png
1001 KB, 1027x834
>>1273943
I'm by no means an expert or anything, but there is significant genetic similarity between them and other historically "celtic" areas like France, Germany, Austria etc.
>>
>>1273882
That map isn't taking account that neolithic farmer already have western hunter gatherer admixture though, Sardinians have like 34% and Spaniards like 40% on average
>>
>>1273910
In short: they're probably Celtic but we don't have any way of knowing.
>Also, is it true they traced their family maternally rather than paternally?
Old Irish inscriptions on standing stones in Scotland have surnames with "Maqqi", the old Irish word for 'son of', but we don't know if these were Picts who had started to speak Irish or just Irish colonists.
>>
File: admixture.png (159 KB, 5307x1956) Image search: [Google]
admixture.png
159 KB, 5307x1956
>>1273882
>>1273968
And here's a map that takes that in account that and Caucasian Hunter gather admixture too (aqua green)
Blue is for Western hunger gather and orange for neolithic farmer.
>>
>>1273943
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtiberians
>>
>>1274006
So Celtiberians are a mix of the original Iberian tribes and the invading Celts? That article did not mention this, but it is what I gather from other reading I've done, don't remember where.

This would definitely explain why some Iberians have light eyes and light hair, I've always been aware of the Celtic presence in Iberia.

Do you know of any site where I can read about Roman (or other contemporary) accounts on the physical looks of Iberians, Celts in Iberia, and Celtiberians?
>>
>>1274032
>This would definitely explain why some Iberians have light eyes and light hair,

You don't need celts to explain that, there are Palestinians with light hair and eyes.
>>
>>1274005
Is green PIE? Shouldn't Icelanders be higher, matching Norwegians more? I do know a lot of the original settlers were lower caste and irish slaves, but still.
>>
>>1274039
Aqua Green is Caucasian hunter gatherer, which was high in the proto indo european peoples (Yamnaya), I don't know about light green
>>
>>1274037
But I believe that the Palestinians are a mixed population with foreign genetic imprints, there has been Greco-Roman genetic influence, also the European crusaders. And probably rare recessive genes as well.
>>
>>1274054
I said palestinians to make an example, there are light haired/eyed Algerians, Syrians etc too
>>
>>1274054
Also Greco-Roman influence in Palestine was really insignificant there and Crusader influence even less so
>>
>>1274049
I've seen time and time again that Norwegians have the highest incidence of yamnaya DNA in Europe proper, surprising that it would be so low in Icelanders, despite the slightly different social dynamics of the settlers.
>>
>>1274059
>>1274067
I am aware that some of those people you mentioned have those features. But they are extremely rare compared to Iberian people.

>Also Greco-Roman influence in Palestine was really insignificant there and Crusader influence even less so
Could you give me a citation?

What I am trying to find out is if the Celtic tribes were all mostly light complexion people who mixed with swarthier Iberian tribes forming the modern Iberians who vary when it comes to looks.
>>
>>1274071
It's not that map, according to this picture too
>>1273882
it's roughly half, if you look at the other pic it seems accurate
>>
>>1273785
My favourite barbarians and still are desu.
>>
>>1273943

Spanish people dont have dark complexions, they just have black hair and dark eyes (not all obviously). Skin is about the same colour as brits
>>
>>1273948
> austria
> germany

historically celtic
>>
>>1276466
Just because there were scandinavian, russic and fenno-ugric elite dominance during the iron age, it doesn't mean "germanics" magically become something other than celtic dirt farmers
>>
File: Celtic Expansion.jpg (769 KB, 2000x1398) Image search: [Google]
Celtic Expansion.jpg
769 KB, 2000x1398
>>1276466
They are historically celtic
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.