[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
'History of Rome' Gets Published
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: History of Rome Book.jpg (64 KB, 800x563) Image search: [Google]
History of Rome Book.jpg
64 KB, 800x563
So Mike Duncan is compiling and publishing all the transcripts from the History of Rome Podcast in a four-volume set. http://www.revolutionspodcast.com/2016/06/the-history-of-rome-vol-i-the-republic.html

He's also writing "The Storm Before The Storm" about what led to the conditions that allowed Augustus to turn the world's most famous anti-monarchist republic into a monarchy. [spoiler]It's also doing some classic historical writing and trying to place America somewhere along the timeline of Roman history, to see what the possible future might be[/spoiler]
http://www.adweek.com/galleycat/podcast-host-mike-duncan-inks-book-deal/110975

Has he crossed the line into 'actual historian' yet, or at least 'more respected than Dan Carlin'? Also, general hype. For all the errors in the first episodes (which are being corrected in the book) I thought he did a good job of moving at a respectable speed through centuries of history and drawing out some important lessons.
>>
>>1263511

Historians are not describers of the past. Historians do research. They try to explain the past according to the surviving evidence. Some historians do create textbooks and descriptive non fiction works about the past, but creating these kind of works does not make one their author an historian. Therefore, Mike Duncan is not an historian.
>>
>>1263950
So Hans Delbrück is not a historian because he draws conclusions?

Historiography of any scope shows far more people taking in data, interpreting it, and demonstrating conclusions (especially trying to apply past situations to present events) than it shows academic machines who put out bland paste without offering some sort if interpretation (and that many who try still fall prey to their own inherent biases).
>>
>>1263511
He's crossed over into the Tom Holland or John Julius Norwich level of "popular writer of history" but not a historian.
>>
>>1263511
>>1263950

Yeah, Mike Duncan doesn't describe himself as a historian. He talked about it on the History of Byzantium for Robin's 100th episode. IIRC, he said he's more like a teacher.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.