[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Moravia/Czech Reading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: Brno_View_from_Spilberk_130.jpg (779 KB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
Brno_View_from_Spilberk_130.jpg
779 KB, 3008x2000
Anyone got any recommendations for English-language reading on the Czechs and more specifically Moravians?
>>
>>1220735
Seconded

T. Grandma was Moravian
>>
>>1220735
thirded

T. The father of my grandfather was czech
>>
no but i have cool pics of prague
>>
>>
>>1220780
Yeah so was mine, peaced out for Texas in the 1840s and left their culture and history behind. I know a few Czech phrases and that's about it, shameful desu.

>>1220832
BOHEMIANS OUT REEEEEEEEE
>>
>>1220835
>peaced out for Texas in the 1840s

I should say, her grandparents peaced out in the 1840s
>>
>>1220780
>>1220816
Fourthed, my German grandfather killed a lot of Czech mongol traitor scum during the occupation.
>>
>>1220835
Very similar story but a little later. My great grand parents placed out to Texas in the 1900s or 1910s.

They held on to their hotel in Moravia (went back and forth regularly) until the outbreak of WWI when my great grandmother was forced to hand it over to the germans for a pair of boots. Apparently it's still standing and I'd now some kind of tavern.
>>
>>1220735

Have you tried Google?
>>
>>1220863
Not OP but similar situation and I haven't found a ton. I'm not sure much is out there
>>
>>1220862
Great-great-granparents*
>>
>>1220863
Yeah, it's shit. Literally all of the results are related to the Moravian Church, which nobody cares about. None of the US Czech heritage societies sites are worth a damn either, most of them are 1996-tier geocities type sites with no useful information whatsoever.
>>
blimp for interests
>>
>>1224000
>Velko
>moravská
>říše
>>
>>1220735
When I was in Prague a few years back I actually managed to pick up the first book in English that takes the history of the Czech lands from pre-history to modern day in one volume, straight from the Charles University bookstore.

It's hella nifty; the history is solid even if the English isn't the best, but I haven't been able to get through all of it yet because I'm a lazy fuck.

https://www.amazon.com/History-Czech-Lands-Second/dp/8024622270/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464804964&sr=8-1&keywords=history+of+the+czech+lands

The price tag is a bit much, although it's what you'd pay for an average history textbook.

Moravians I'm not so sure about. There's a lot in English about the Moravian church in the US and missionaries coming to America to preach, so that kind of muddies the waters as far as researching older, non-religious Moravian history. But if you're interested in learning about Moravians coming to the US, that could be a good starting point as well.

Here's an 1848 book in English in the Bohemian/Moravian churches: https://archive.org/details/historybohemian00bostgoog

And 1881: https://archive.org/details/catalogueofbooks00mali

An 1859 one on the Moravian church: https://archive.org/details/histchurchk00hami

Archive.org has a lot more out-of-copyright books, but because of their age you may want to be careful because they may be incorrect by today's standards. You'll certainly have more luck looking for older stuff about the Czechs there.
>>
There isn't really much difference between Bohemia and Moravia. There are some Moravian "nationalists" but they are all just
>muh wine
>muh plum brandy
>much folk dresses
>muh talking weird
If you want to read about Moravia find stuff on Great Moravia. There isnt really that much stuff other than that, which is different to whole Czechia
t. Czecho-Moravian Highlander
>>
>>1225046
well now there is not but the more you go to the past, the more differences you find
for example the entire catholic/proaustrian angle so prominent in moravia during habsburg rule
then you have great moravia obviously
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.