[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Explain the Falklands to me, /his/. What kicked it off? How did
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: falklands_1919013b.jpg (127 KB, 620x388) Image search: [Google]
falklands_1919013b.jpg
127 KB, 620x388
Explain the Falklands to me, /his/.
What kicked it off? How did the Brits feel about it?
>>
>>1214325
The Falklands are sovereign British territory.
Spics tried to snatch.
Spics BTFO
>>
>>1214325
What kicked it off was Argentina just decided to occupy the Falklands for the banter.

Brits think it is a super-human achievement to defend a couple of irrelevant islands from a third world shithole, so they never shut up about it. Possibly to compensate for getting absolutely annihilated by Argentina in every football match that matters.
>>
Argentina wanted our land and access to oil

So they tried to take it, but history has shown what happens when you cross the Celestial Anglo
>>
>>1214325
I think some politician in Argentina needed to become more popular so he decided to try do a land grab thinking brits wouldnt do shit.
>>
>>1214332
NIfag here and lots of people seem to parade Falklands around like it was some kind of crazy underdog achievement that shows the Britain's lands will always be british, and I never seemed way. Seemed quite trivial.

>>1214338
>implying
Your Kingdom is dying when big chunks of it almost vote to voluntarily leave
>>
>>1214342
Good Chap ;)

We are just a weak, crumbling nation.

Remember chap, murdoch news sources are the only reliable source!
>>
>>1214338
I don't think oil was discovered there yet.
>>
>>1214344
Lad, I was just kidding you. I know that in our lifetime the UK will pretty much be kill but not anytime soon. Just shitposting my way to the brexit vote
>>
>>1214352
Brexit or no.

The Anglo always finds a way.

We've already taken over France in terms of economy size.

The huns are our next target.
>>
>>1214358
Not so sure about that, pal. People might vote themselves out of the UK in your lifetime, for better or worse. Look at how close scotland came, and nationalism is becoming more and more an option in NI with every year the Unionist politicians fuck the country up, especially since the south has an sanic fast expansion of it's economy.

Eternal Anglo might just have to stick to it's bottom half of the mainland and it's little islands, unless of course Wales decides to join the uprising party
>>
>>1214342
>lots of people seem to parade Falklands around like it was some kind of crazy underdog achievement

Just imagine this. Great Britain has spent 30 years declining horribly as a nation, all of its pride has been completely sapped as it has been forced to dismantle its empire and pay debts to the U.S and pretty much become a subservient bitch to the new world power. Then some upstart former colonials under a military dictatorship decide to kick you while you're down and seize one of the last remaining overseas territories. In response, Margaret Thatcher, a prime minister who has pretty much made it her entire life's work to restore what she sees as lost pride and to end an era of Britain being the poor man of Europe which had been blocked from joining the EEC for years. The British hastily assemble a task force from what little is left of a navy that has essentially been cut in half, half again and then half again due to the nation's relative poverty. The only bombers available are shitty Vulcans which have been outdated for decades. This small task force then sets sail on an 8,000 mile trip to retake a bunch of shitty islands from an entrenched enemy, making it the longest distance war ever fought (arguably). The aging Vulcans are launched on the longest bombing raid in world history and completely smash the Argentine airfield on the islands giving the British free reign to take the islands back. Shit begins to escalate after Thatcher shows how serious the effort is by ordering the sinking of an Argentine warship as it heads towards the area outside of the British imposed exclusion zone around the islands. The war thankfully wound down after a relatively quick reoccupation since the Argentine troops were mostly shitty conscripts and they could not re-impose their power on the island since the nearest air fields were on the mainland. Anyway, the war is essentially the first conflict since the Suez in 1956 that the UK has had fuck all to trumpet about.
>>
>>1214366
You sound like you're hyping it up, but okay. I guess I can understand that. Still though, I'd say it's more a bitter "oh fuck off" situation than a matter of British Historical Pride
>>
>>1214372
>You sound like you're hyping it up

Somewhat. I'm portraying it from the perspective of someone who has a sense of patriotism. In reality it was just a pathetic war over a bunch of pathetic islands, but Britain needed it. It's like the Gallipoli for Turks, or Easter Rising for the Irish.

I suggest you read up on the war, since a lot of it was actually very impressive.
>>
>>1214379
Will do, not really into much British stuff but when you put it like that I guess I understand the impact a conflict can have-regardless of outcome.
>>
>>1214352
If you guys leave the EU and collapse it, we could actually have a real shooting war on the continent again, so that might be neat. Of course, several hundred million would die, but hey, it'd be pretty cool to see if I'm right about MAD being purely psychological and having no relevance in a war between nuclear armed powers.
>>
>>1214332
t. Santiago Fernandez
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.