[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>No man in history has had a greater effect on the religions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: index.jpg (7 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
7 KB, 183x275
>No man in history has had a greater effect on the religions of the world than this man.

*His own philosophy literally became a religion in the form of Neo-Platoism
*Which in turn helped spawn two direct sequals: Hermetism and Gnostism
*Caused a complete restructuring of the entire Greek religion, making Gods no longer literal things but representations of ideas or forces of nature. Also helped push ideas of esotericism which direly influenced basic practices of mystery cults
*Went into Judaism via the force of Hellenization and helped formed the Kabbalah as well as making the religion being less literal and more metaphorical
*Moses Maimonides, the most important Rabbi/Theologian took influence from Neo-Platoism
*Influence in all of the key Christian church fathers either by directly encountering his philosophy or one of the many religious branches it made. Was revered as a prophet by many early Christians.
*Still influential to Christianity in the middle ages in Western Europe but doubly so in Eastern Europe
*Platonic influences also formed Sufism and can be found in the "Islamic Golden Age"
*Teacher of Aristotle, the guy who did the rest of the heavy lifting in Christianity and Islamic theology
*Even influenced secular understanding of religion. Karl Jung and Joseph Campbell's way of describing religious as "arch-types" was based on taking the theory of forms of describing it as psychological forces.
*Continues to play a role in many assorted forms of spirituality and mysticism
>>
>>1202469
what conclusions did he come that you can't come to yourself
>>
>>1202601
That's not a very good question because if you grew up in any sort of part of the western world you would have been exposed to something that contained Platonic ideas. A lot of what passes for "common" ideas about the nature of religious things started with him.
>>
File: 1460075291300.jpg (47 KB, 699x699) Image search: [Google]
1460075291300.jpg
47 KB, 699x699
>mfw I said platonic love at work and a co-worker didn't know what I was talking about.
>>
>>1202469
>Was revered as a prophet among early christians
Source on this?
>>
>>1202689
Maybe he's talking about gnostics. I've never heard of Christians having that much respect for Plato otherwise. Not anymore than any other group.
>>
>>1202689
>The 2nd century Christian apologist Justin Martyr is known for defending Christianity to the Platonists of his day. In his First Apology, he claims that Plato's understanding of the creation of the world depends on Mose

Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle were revered as sort of Prophets. Hermes Trismestis was also revered as a prophet as late as the Renaissance until his work became associated with humanism was condemned.

There attempts to say that Plato was a secret Christian who prophesied Jesus or that he was a direct successor of some other prophet to de-Paganism him. The Muslims did the same with Aristotle and draw him as an Arab man.

>>1202695
It's less so in modern Christianity, they really want to deny any Pagan roots. But even as far back as the middle ages you can find art Plato, Aristotle, and Socrates being treated extremly well in art. Dante described how the three philosophers live in a luxurious castle in the after-life.
>>
>>1202695
Augustine was literally a Manichaeist Gnostic before he read Plato. His theology was based on Platonic writings.
>>
I knew at least one Church father (besides Justin Martyr) thought that Plato was a "prophet" for the Greeks. What I didn't know is that apparently Muslims think Socrates was a prophet too.

https://themuslimtimes.info/2013/02/05/the-greek-prophet-socrates-monotheism-and-islam/
>>
Philo of Alexandria basically made Plato into a prophet for Judaism.

This man is a prophet in at least 7 religions.
Christianity
Islam
Judaism
Gnostism
Hermetism
Greek Paganism
and of course his own religion.
>>
Buddha is probably more relevant, simply because much more people have been touched by his message
>>
In that case your mom must be on that list as well
>>
File: diogenes_detail.jpg (129 KB, 600x644) Image search: [Google]
diogenes_detail.jpg
129 KB, 600x644
*Gets btfo by a NEET
>>
>>1202733

>The Muslims did the same with Aristotle and draw him as an Arab man.

The Muslims did not do this.

Greeks have been trading and influencing the Arabs since before Islam. Persia also had a massive influence on Islam.

The Quran might refer to Alexander the Great, but barely even as a prophet.
>>
>>1202899

I thought the Qaran refered to Alexander as an almost mythological satan-tier evil, not a prophet
"The Two Horned One" or something to that effect
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.