[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did The Islamic world peak in culture and advancement with the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: image.gif (80 KB, 800x487) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
80 KB, 800x487
Did The Islamic world peak in culture and advancement with the Abbasid caliphate? Was there a ever better time for Islam after or before?
>>
>>1195534
Gunpowder Empires was Islam's last gleaming.
>>
>>1195534
I thought it peaked until the Mongolians who destroyed the Bagdad library and sheet and after it Muslims went all into Wahabbi stuff
>>
>>1195545
No, whilst the Mongols basically annihilated a lot of the progress the Muslim world had made after that they largely continued to be relatively normal people.

It wasn't until very recently when cold-war politics started to shut down any attempt at secular nationalism or left-wing movements before they could take root that they started turning to radical Islam as the most important thing.
>>
>>1195542
You're not wrong
I hope shit gets better (i.e. wahhabism/shaira falls)

>>1195551
this

>>1195545
mongols erased a lot of stuff, but opened up the bath to new Batiniyya thoughts and Sufism
>>
File: meme'd.png (96 KB, 332x333) Image search: [Google]
meme'd.png
96 KB, 332x333
Seems I was meme'd about the Mongols.

-How vulgar.

Any good books on the subject?
>>
>>1195545
>after it Muslims went all into Wahabbi stuff

Wahhabism didn't even emerge until the 18th century you idiot.

Your sense of history and perspective is so warped.
>>
>>1195702
Well I was using it here casually, but you are right. I should've put more effort into my post. I meant to say that Islam was more liberal until the Mongols, but that seems to have been invalid as well and just a stupid meme.
>>
>>1195691
Don't get it wrong, the mongols destroyed a lot and their fall caused even more destruction and violence.

It just doesn't have anything to do with wahhabism.
>>
>>1195702

A History of the Arab Peoples by Albert Hourani is decent (though pretty old, written in the early nineties)
>>
>>1195764
This was meant for >>1195691
>>
>>1195679
>shaira falls
You can't separate Sharia and Islam. What you actually want to change is Salafi Fiqh (the interpretation of divine law).

>>1195714
>Islam was more liberal until the Mongols
Naw, it stayed pretty liberal with the Ottomans. Even after Abd al Wahab was propped up by the Saudis his teachings didn't start to gain hold until the mid 20th century outside of central Arabia.

The most damaging thing that happened to the Islamic psyche was colonialism. With the last great Islamic state abolished in 1923-4(?) and European powers seemingly calling the shots on who rules (like how the British betrayed the Hashemites and started baking the Sauds) people started to feel like they'd lost the right to self-determination and sovereignty.

"Wahhabism" but actually Salfism is really just something for a despairing people searching for anything. People feel that losing their lands is punishment from straying away from (what they think is) the original form of Islam.

Who knows how long we'll be dealing with those repercussions desu
>>
>>1196219
Yes, it's interesting that Salafism was initially a reaction to the marginalization of the Bedouin Arabs and the dominance of the Persians and Turks who were considered decadent. It's no surprise that it's growing in influence given the present situation
>>
>>1196324
Exactly. A lot of the Islamic psyche is mis-understood even up through the academic world.
>>
mudshit pls go (hang from a tree)
>>
So is there any living and Islamic school of thought that opposes Salfism? I can imagine it would be several
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.